Star Fox 'Barrel Roll' *resub wip*

PrototypeRaptor

Alright, so my mix got shot down. To be honest, I'm kinda glad...I went back and gave it a listen and, damn, muddy as all hell, limited through the roof, little or no variation... gah! I really can't believe I submitted that (shows you what 6 months does to your ear)

Anyway, I really do want this posted - I think that Star Fox needs some more representin', if ya know what I mean. (cough)

So here is a new version I've been working on - I went back and redid all of the eq/mastering and fixed most of the soundfield. There are more melodies this time round, and a breakdown section in the middle (which should have been there in the first place...)

I addressed the final part of the theme which I didn't even mention the first time around, and I also eased back on the limiting. ALOT. Still, it seems pretty loud to me - let me know what you think.

As always, comments are appreciated!

(super update)

v2: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ojkn/corneriaremixNEWmaster

link: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/sbds/remake1

If I had to say anything, it'd be that there is a little too much up and down in terms of arrangement. This is due to the length, or course, and the nature of Trance. But it seems as if the climax right before the end isn't the strongest in the entire 6:00 like it should be (being the final climax).

Sound-wise, it seems like you fixed your issues.

The vast changes make it interesting but disassociated at the same time... The beginning I like, with the sound clips because they for once, don't sound exactly like the game and are cheezily mixed together. I like trance, a great deal, but either Corneria has been way too overdone in too many ways, or it's *too* varied. Trance likes to repeat, you know?

• 5 months later...

Well, I hadn't planned to resub after working on it again... but perhaps I'll fire up the ol' FL 7 files and see what I can do...

(it needs a lot of work, though. I just listened to it and cannot BELIEVE that I actually submitted it...holy crap.

And the panel was that split about it? Perhaps the standards aren't THAT high after all...>_> *cough*

Anyway, I'll see what I can do and post something here in the next few days. I still want to see a kickin' remix of Star Fox... :)

And the panel was that split about it? Perhaps the standards aren't THAT high after all...>_> *cough*

Hahaha! Well, of course, my vote was the best. :lol: But yeah, even kidding around, you're realizing the "bar", as it were, is an attainable goal. Yeah, if you wanna work on that StarFox mix again, I'm sure you could something cool with it.

Alright, so I had a bunch of free time today so I messed around a bit...

I changed a bunch of stuff. :)

-the middle section is more centered around the theme (and overall, everything is based off of the chord progression/theme/counter melodies)

-NEW and IMPROVED mastering (hopefully) It's not as loud, but I've gotten new speakers since last time (freakin' mixing on Logitechs last time LOL) so I think the mix is quite a bit better here on my end.

-cheesy vocoding of barrel roll at opportune times...XD just seemed appropriate

-basically, the judges ripped me to shreds over my generic cookie cutter crap (which I agree with) but I can't figure out how on earth you write trance without

a) something trying to be an Access Virus

B) a similar kick to everything else

c) untz untz untz untz repeat for 12312 hours

d) getting rejected :)

so this is less of a trance song and more of a...red headed step child.

let me know what you think!

v2: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ojkn/corneriaremixNEWmaster