OCR00860 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Crystalline Caverns"

orkybash

I guess I'm committing heresy for saying this, but I wasn't as sold on this song the first time I listened to it and was thiiiisss close to deleting it. But after not being able to sleep and having the tune stuck in my head, I just had to give it a few more listens and am now sold on it. While it's not a 5 Star song like his 'Cammy's London Drizzle', 'IceCapped', or 'Liquid Mario' (of course, very little is), this is clearly a great tune. It doesn't immediately capture attention like much of McVaffe's other productions, but is very emotional and emotion-evoking nonetheless. It won't make you want to get up and dance, but is solid nonetheless.

I won't waste space with my empty words. I just got the Yoshi's Island ROM a few days ago (my cartridge busted), and as I played it, I remembered how much I hated this song. As a matter of fact, it was my least favorite video game song.

McVaffe, I just don't understand. It's literally my favorite remix of any song, ever. How in the hell, I just don't believe it. Congratulations.

-Dennis-

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it's taken me so long to review this. A while ago, probably a a week or two before this song was posted, I was talking to McVaffe on AIM when he sends me a link to a "secret new remix." That remix turned out to be Crystalline Caverns. I was reluctant to download it, having never played Yoshi's Island, but the mere fact that McVaffe himself sent me the link made me do it. As a music lover, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. This song is amazing. This is the epitome of Overclocked ReMix. I can use a whole lot of adjectives to describe this, but none of them would come close to how this really is. Long story short: download this song right now - you will not regret it.

-DCT

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm a new member here...but I've been frequently visiting it for who knows how long...I'm what i consider an AVID gamer (no, a FREAK, no, A MANIAC when it comes to gaming) and i must say, this ReMix is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't say it enough....i have had it playing for like 30 times in a row...it doesn't get old to me...i love games and to hear the old ones get played again (Journey to Silius, Metroid, etc.) its great, this ReMix is unbelievable to me...the way the piano...goes in the beginning, the drums, the beat, i remember this song on Yoshi's island, sometimes i would just go down a pipe and stay there, listening to the music of the underground, now i don't have to...this ReMix is GREAT!

I don't want to have to so outwardly say this, but this is probably McVaffe's worst work I've downloaded. BUT IT'S STILL ABOVE AVERAGE. The piano et al. are excellent, but after the first minute and a half, I wanted the song to go further. It never does. I'm sorry, you can't turn a 30 second loop into a 5 minute song without more variation no matter who you are. There is a coda of some sorts, but it occurs only half way through the song, then the thing more or less loops entirely. Well, not quite, but it seems like it unless you're listening intently. Nevertheless, I'm just nitpicking because I am once again a jerk. :wink: 5/8

I thought it was great. I've rated all my hundreds and hundreds of OverClocked songs I have in my iTunes (I'm a Mac user), and it's one of my 5-star-rated ones. Many games from older systems have songs that are repetitive. The song from Yoshi's Island was repetitive, and don't think McVaffe can be hit for making the remix also repetitive. It's too gorgeous to even matter. 5/5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm like Homer in that one Simpsons episode where they meet Mel Gibson (if I recall correctly). The only guy strong enough to tell the truth. =P

Well, this remix IS beautiful, yes, but it's also on the repetitive side... in my opinion, BIG time. The samples used are fantastic, and the drum programming is very neat (a bit of glitch-inspired stuff every now and then, so it seems). I think this remix just needed something else. It doesn't sound quite enough like the original for me, and I'm going to keep griping about it. =P Nah, not really. I really like this remix, there's just...certain "things" about it that keep me from loving it.

7.3/10 (Heck, still way above average. But with McV, you'd expect better)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

beautiful. I always liked the theme from the caverns in Yoshi. the piano in this thing is awesome. it just takes you to relax land. yeah, this one should have been like this in the game. the chill-outed beat and, of course, the magnificent piano taking the melody onwards are great. repetition? yeah, but even like that, its cool, and it makes it good to repeat. 'sides thare are variations to it that are also greatly introduced in the song. you really doesnt feel it like its five minutes long, you just want more. its over and its like "dang. over yet?"

great stuff, and a great arrangement. get it NOW.

Cano

• 3 months later...

Amazing. I actually liked the original song. In fact, I was actually looking to download the original off of a file-sharing program and found this remix on there. I can fall in a daze while listening to this. Probably my favorite OC remix.

• 1 month later...

Wow! 8O I've been a big fan of McV for a while now, but this song is MAGIC. I recognized this song, no problem- this was one of the songs my neighbor used to play on his TV when we were little kids to TORTURE me. No joke, I'd leave the room whenever this dumb song came on. I absolutely HATED the original song. That's why it is so amazing that I listen to this remix and LOVE it! 8O I'd give this song at least a 9 out of 10, based solely on my personal preferences! Do you realize how amazing that is, considering the fact that I absolutely abhor the original song!? The orignal song gave me headaches- this remix CURES those headaches. :wink: Wow. All I can say is that even more so than before, I am a big believer in the magic of McVaffe. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was letting one of my friends listen to this mix and he said, "This sounds like Linkin Park", and we got into this big discussion of how Linkin Park is really just videogame music given lyrics.

Linkin Park? No, I felt like this came out of some adult contemporary station. It's more great easy listening stuff by McVaffe.

i just love this song, i keep listenin to it over n over

the part at 1:55 and some other parts are just so... good! I just wish those parts were a little longer, and i was expecting it to move up a tone or something,i dont know what i wanted to happen but whatever i wanted, it wasnt there... oh well... its still great

I dont know how come some ppl say this song is too repetive, i think its too short!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is one of the most beautiful arrangements I've ever heard. No matter how often I listen to it, the emotional power of the acoustic piano still frightens me.

Crystalline Caverns has a peerless trip-hoppish beat that melds unbelievably well with the dark soundscape proportioned by McVaffe.

Undeniably one of the best remixes I've ever heard.

98 / 100

I swear this is the best mix on the site

but the 1:55 and 3:41 markers need to be extended! argh!! Or repeated one more time! This song is just so strong, heavy, loud, deep! The drums are great along with the strings in the background, but the piano makes up everything in this song. I listen to this song on repeat all day. The chorus really needs to be longer though!! The piano in the beginning is great, all of the accompaniment piano is great, the whole arrangment in the song is great, actually everythings great!

I need to hear more remixes of this song! The one at vgmix sucks sorry to say.

This is definatly my number one favourite mix on the site!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00860 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Crystalline Caverns"