Email - omfgitsdustin@gmail.com

userID - 19501

Game remixed - Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Song remixed - Green Earth

Composer - Yoshito Hirano

source:

my remix: http://ton.escariot.net/songs/remixes/MidnightSkirmishv3.mp3

Hey there jdgs. I started this remix back in April and I'm kinda

getting tired of hearing it so I'm submitting it. It's called Midnight Skirmish. Also, I figured I'd do my part to save the queue since you guys enjoy slaughtering it so very much. I can't really think of anything else to say, so...get back to your Q-destroyin or whatev.

ToN

oh yeah, you can leave the link in.

I really like the arrangement here, keeps things very interesting. Some hard limiting was used quite well here, particularly in the last part of the piece where it is most apparent.

I think that piano section at 0.23 could have use a touch more reverb, sounds rather dry compared to the sections either side of it. 1.05 was a nice surprise, and added some well needed high frequency percussion into the mix.

Overall I felt that perhaps the mix could have used more high frequency drum elements as it would have made the overall eq sound brighter. However, this is not enough of an issue for this mix not to pass. Good energy level, very engaging arrangement.

YES

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (Game Rip) - 31 "Green Earth Theme"

Interesting opening, certainly a different approach with the material. Very Genesis-style. The piano runs from :23-:29 felt a bit too muddy, but nothing inherently wrong with that approach.

:29 was a good concept but felt too spartan. Vox at :29 sounded extremely cheap with the robotic note movements. The vibes/marimba/wuteva from :41-:54 sounded too cheap and exposed. Liked the switch over at 1:05 into the organ (which should have been louder at some point at least). Everything's feeling too spartan and not making effective enough use of the sounds.

The 1:47 section seemed the worst in terms of sound balance as everything besides the lead and beats were swamped out, worse from 2:01-2:13 when more elements joined in, only feeling more cluttered despite the thin sounds.

I like the concept, and the arrangement was definitely at a good interpretive level so far, but the execution lacks too much polish.

NO

Sounds here are kind of thin, in my opinion. Lots of treble-heavy sounds, lots of muddiness due to excessive reverb/delay. :30 is sparse, partially due to the crappy synth-brass lead, as Larry pointed out. In fact, to save time, I pretty much agree with everything that Larry said in his vote.

I would just add that you need to try and mix better. There's a serious lack in bass, generally speaking. Some sounds are thinner and 'cheaper' than others, and you're using reverb on the wrong things (eg. the kick doesn't need any, but the vox/choir sound completely dry.) Arrangement ideas are fine but the production just needs an upgrade overall, and that includes rethinking how to layer up instruments and create a full-sounding texture. I also felt that this was a little too spastic and chaotic. I would have liked to hear parts without that fast-moving melody, but also not empty and half-tempo. Right now, it's too black & white. Maybe some nice big chord motions? Either way, I would take another look at the writing to see if you can pull it off better.

You're getting there, keep at it.

NO

Echoing Larry and Andy here; the texture is thin and weak. Where's the bass? This needs more meat on it. Andy said big chord motions; I'm gonna agree with that.

Arrangement is not bad though; I don't think it's too spastic, but some more variation aside from simply passing the melody around would be nice. Percussion isn't bad; that drumkit sounds familiar. :P

You've got a ways to go with this one.

One more time. For the bass.

NO

Cool. I really like this one a lot. All this needs is a remaster job. It's too hollow and flakey sounding as is.

I dig the arrangement and the ideas. I think the textures could be thicker and thus more intense as a result of said rehashing. Put more beef on it, bring out the mid-low end. Pull the vibes back a little, or process them a little more. I dig the drum change-ups like at 1:05.

Very cool! Just finish polishing it up. I'd say the structure itself works perfectly. It just needs some spit-shine and elbow grease.

PLEASE RESUBMIT!

Driving Larry's point home. I don't mean to say it's just a matter of simply tweaking a knob here or there. The mastering needs to be out and out redone. I was just saying that's the ONLY critical gripe I have. I still love the concept and potential.

Yes. Get some good feedback first. Don't get over-hasty (as resubmitters often do) and add some reverb and crank up the bass EQ and resubmit. Do it right, and this one will be pretty cool.