OCR00068 - Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII & I "North Medley"

Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII & I 'North Medley'

Very nicely arranged. The triangle/bell/xylophone/whatever it is sound in the beginning lacks some luster... almost as if it stopped vibrating immediately after it was hit. But don't let that deter you from enjoying this great medley of Final Fantasy music. Considering this is all synth it sounds fantastic!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

... :cry:

Right when I think I'm over my FF addiction, something gorgeous like this comes up...and I fall in love with it all over again. This is beautiful! I love the quasi-choral effect around 02:36 or so...even if I don't know the song. (I've only played from FF7 on up :oops: ) Everything here is absolutely sensational...*sniff*

Me SO likey.

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is pretty awesome. The songs flow together well and all, and the samples are absolutely insane they're so good. I think it overcomes the common medley gripe, in that it all sounds like one cohesive piece instead of a bunch stuck together. Kudos to Dale North, who can do more variety of styles of music than I thought possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
:D Simply amazing! This is an awesome mix, and of some of my fav. FF songs too! Great transitions between tracks, excellent use of layering, and a true sense of the actual tune. I must say that this is a mix that no collection should be without. 10/10 Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very good Medley. If you search on the dictionary the word Medley you find the description of this song.

I love especially the Opera Theme (Oh my hero, far away now, will I ever see your smile/Love goes away, like night into day. It's just a fading dream... JUST WONDERFULLY BEAUTIFUL :wink: !!!) and the Terra theme. I don't like the starting theme, but all the song is very pleasant... Wow! Lots of compliments to Dale North 8) !

• 4 weeks later...

This remix needs to be re-recorded with a full symphony...it deserves this much. As it stands now, it is one of the most memorable and recognisable FF remixes in my playlist. It covers most of the series to it's date and does so in such a way that makes one remember all the joys of playing the games that the tunes came from. This remix mixes themes from several parts of the older series in such a way that nearly makes me cry for being what now seems to be old. I'll listen to this to the day I die, and always remember these past few years when it was new to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Stunning, beautiful, magnificent...Many words for such a remix, but only one word can describe such a masterpiece. Unfortunately we haven´t discovered that word yet, but when we will, I will make a new review and put it in there, that I will. Although there are alot of songs it doesn´t get overstuffed with melodies that goes into each other and...well...it sure wouldn´t sound like this.

But one thing hit me when I saw the original songs:

"What the...!? Noone of these are from FF1?" This remix would more fit in like a mix from FF6 or FF7, but not as FF1.

(Review #200, WOOOO)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

*is in love with this track*

This is just BEAUTIFUL! The various themes work wonderfully together, and the transition from one to the other is seemless and perfect. Not over the top either, the instruments and mixing is lovely. Overall a beautiful piece and one of my favourite tracks.

I'd go into more detail but there are just no words. :)

• 5 months later...

Nice use of what probably aren't the highest quality samples. One exception, though, was the Choir lead at 2:37, which felt a bit awkward and unrealistic. It's nice to be able to recognize each theme here right off with so many present. I think it's pretty clear this wouldn't pass muster today, though, being a medley that doesn't really develop each theme much - but that doesn't make it a bad listen either. Overall, if you're looking for an orchestral Tour de Final Fantasy, this is a good bet.

• 1 year later...

This was the mix that got me into Final Fantasy music, despite having never played a Final Fantasy game (and I still haven't). It's almost like a best-of collection that highlights just how great the compositions are. If this mix does one thing amazingly well, it is that it represents.

Anyone looking for arrangements are very much out of luck, but with such an early piece (as well there being about a bajillion other Final Fantasy mixes that emphasise arrangement), I can turn a blind eye.

This did a lot for me back in the day, and while I'm sure I would have discovered how brilliant the FF scores were at some point, I'm glad I found it through such cool means. Samples and arrangement aside, 11 years on and you could still do much worse than to be listening to this medley.

• 9 months later...

This was one of the first mixes I stumbled upon. I had played most of the games in this medley and I remember just enjoying the slow progression of this whole mix. With FF VI being the first Final Fantasy I played, the soundtrack always had a special spot for me and I liked how this mix gave both Terra and Celes the time in the spotlight. There's not much for me to say other than this is just a well-done FF medley that has stood the test of time.

• 2 years later...

On a personal note, going from FFVII's theme to Terra to Aria de Mezzo Carattere in that exact order hits me in the arrangement feels, because that writing catered a little to me. :P I may not be the biggest Final Fantasy fan around, but some songs I adore, and this ReMix puts a lot of them together, so I liked it for the writing alone. Has a classic feel to the production, but nothing that outright bugged me.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00068 - Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII & I "North Medley"