MegaMan 2 - ...Dr. Wily's Pain

DJ-Arthur

Uhm, okay, so now I have 2 MM2 Mixes here... The thing is, I finally got some decent String Samples, I just died to try them out, and this was the first melody that came across my mind... Anyways, the full title of this track is "The Pain Behind Wily's Evil Deeds", it's a mouth-full indeed...

:arrow: Download "The Pain Behind Wily's Evil Deeds" (MP3 128kbs 3:08min 2.88MB)

Version 2 Available:

:arrow: Download Version 2 (MP3 128kbs 3:56 3.61MB)

The Breakdown:

I didn't use the full source tune (MM2, Dr.Wily Stage 1&2), but what I used is put to good use. It may sound a bit repetitive, because I payed a whole lot attention to the minor ambient changes like the velocity and reverbs than the actual arrangement in general. I used a simple Guitar, my newly added Strings, a Choir Sample to accompany the Strings, and a damped MusicBox in the background. No drums.

Now for the Big Issue, Should I explore this more, or should I tweak what I have now...? (Or is it plain done haha, just kidding, I have a bit more plans with this, including extending the ending to take it to even more dramatic heights...

EDIT : Darn it, I forgot to mention, I made this again with Orion Platinum V7.1, and a SF VSTi Plugin (InterContinental)

Made some minor changes in the Guitar Lead, The Strings were brought more to the Foreground, and the Choir more to the back, as well as pitched down an octave for the contrast. Dramatic Ending sequence added, purely Strings... I tried to make it sound like someone dies. One of my colleagues described it as "touching his sensitive string", so I guess it came over well.

Your comments please, Oh mighty Remix Fans and Makers!

• 2 weeks later...

The guitar part in this is really cool and the stuff going on underneath the guitar sounds good too. The strings at the end sound great. It does get a little boring because of the repetition though. I would suggest keeping all or some of what you have so far, and maybe try changing the texture of the song at one point, like have some percussion come in or something. Great job so far.:-P

First off, you should stick with your own name as your artist name, if you don't already. Arthur van Dijk sounds a lot better than DJ Arthur, and like a DJ name already (compare it to Paul van Dyk, Jeff van Dyck etc. :wink:). Also, the name of your hometown means "Santa's little nail-hammering helper" in Swedish. Hahahaha :lol:

Now... the song isn't very DJ like at all... not that this is a problem in any way.

The instrument playing at the beginning doesn't really sound like a guitar, more like a harp, at least the melody parts. The bass still sounds like a guitar, so maybe change that for a harp? Harp+strings+glockenspiel (or whatever that mallet instrument is) make a good combo. The strings in the background are a little slow and artificial, so while, beautiful, they sound like something from a cheap restaurant background music cd. Don't leave the strings out in the open. Really cool arrangement overall though.

I think this song flows very nicely. It sounds REALLY complete with that string ending in my opinion. However complete it sounds, it could indeed use some more variation. You don't have to change as much as just add decorations. I definitely agree with my man Legion that orchestral volume swells could only do this piece good. If it were me, I would try to make each repeat just noticably different by adding different kinds of decorations each time. One of the parts being orchestra swells and then if you made those strings at the end swell in the same way. . . ! Oh yeah! Another idea for a decoration for this would be a distant sound wind instrument playing a counter melody. Go for the gold!

• 1 month later...

Wow, I actually thought this thread died, but it's just that I forgot to subscribe to it... D'oh!

Anyways, After some long waiting, I finally made a newer version...

Download it HERE

I took on the advice of making some decorations, and I tinkered a bit with the Soundscapes in general. I pitched it up a few semitones, and added the missing section from the source in the arrangement. Last but not least, I made a very short intro, playing only the bassline for 1 bar. Just 'cuz... In the end where the Strings finalize the piece, well, the musicbox keeps playing around "random" notes, like it needs rewinding, or something...

Anyways, My guess is that this is a major upgrade. Still, it might be lacking something, but I can't seem to put my finger on it...

Comments, anyone?