I feel bad for not liking Ocarina of Time.

Jaybell

Also, I'd like to point out that Zelda 64 (and other N64 games) look amazing on Project 64 if you have a decent video card. You can bring games up to 1080P, add major anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering + smoothing, but I would recommend 800x600 to 1024x768 for the sake of the textures on OoT. Some games, like Starfox, look extremely good at even higher resolutions though. Emulating these games is so much better if you have a decent PC controller.

Talk about feeling bad for not liking Ocarina of Time.

My bro stopped by and left me his Wii with a big stack of games including Twilight Princess (The reason he encouraged me to borrow his Wii) and I'm too busy sitting on my ass to play any of the games. He even hooked it all up for me so all I have to do is turn on the power to the Wii and my flat panel. Why am I too lazy to do it?

Hmmmm...looks like he's got some pretty good games here: Twilight Princess, Guitar Heros III, Metroid Prime: Corruption, Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers: Charged, Trauma Center: Second Opinion and some other titles, X-Men and shit....

It just sounds like a bunch of $%^&ing work to start playing them. Especially Twilight Princess, since I know if I start it I won't want to stop until I win it.

Also, I'd like to point out that Zelda 64 (and other N64 games) look amazing on Project 64 if you have a decent video card. You can bring games up to 1080P, add major anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering + smoothing, but I would recommend 800x600 to 1024x768 for the sake of the textures on OoT. Some games, like Starfox, look extremely good at even higher resolutions though. Emulating these games is so much better if you have a decent PC controller.

That sounds like fun. I don't really like playing N64 games on my keyboard though and my usb controller isn't any better. I'm sure there's a usb convertor for N64 controllers out there somewhere, though.

That sounds like fun. I don't really like playing N64 games on my keyboard though and my usb controller isn't any better. I'm sure there's a usb convertor for N64 controllers out there somewhere, though.

I just use a PS2 -> USB converter and that works pretty well for Starfox. And there generally pretty inexpensive.

Yeah, Playstation and N64 emulation on the computer is really fun, better than the actual consoles if you have a good controller. I would imagine that using an Xbox 360 controller would be the best solution, and those come built to work.

For those that want to use an N64 controller: http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=n64psxusb&Category_code=N64

Most people that enjoy OoT, in my experience, are those who make statements like "I played Mario64 as a kid" or "OoT was from my younger days." Granted, I know there are quite a few that played all the Zelda games before and still think OoT was great, but I'm not one of them.

I played the original Zelda when it came out. That doesn't make me old, but it does give me a different view point when Zelda64 came out. In short, I simply didn't care. I had played Zelda 1, Zelda 2 (and liked it, even though it was so different... the difficulty made me come back for more), and A Link to the Past. When I saw OoT come out, only one thought came to mind.

"This looks like A Link to the Past, only in 3D."

And I stand by that ever since. I've read the story, seen the game play, listened to the music, and I still don't care. There's something about it that simply doesn't resonate with me. I didn't give a crap about some horse. I could careless that there was a kid link and an adult link. Stick with one, don't pick both. Zelda as "Sheik" was repugnant to me. The maidens yet again, only this time as autonomous characters with thoughts and feelings... again, they were like female wisemen to me. I wanted the old, look-alike guys back. I know it was the first, and that games like Twilight Princess wouldn't exist without 64... but I still don't care.

I loved TP. The music moved me. The feel, the vastness. That was truly epic to me because it progressed far enough my previous Zelda experiences. I loved being a wolf. It was something different enough for me. Granted, it still had ye olde "light world/ shadow world" motif, so I guess I'm a hypocrite because there were tons of similarities between TP and ALttP. And I got the references to the Temple of Time, which was ironically one of my favorite locations to visit (another product of Zelda64). Yet, still, I have absolutely no desire to ever play the 64 games, Majora's Mask included. I just don't care. They are too foreign to me for some reason. I'd play Celda first, and I had no desire to pick that one up.

Minish Cap, however, was a great game, despite how painfully easy it was (all Zelda games, sadly, are painfully easy).

Zelda: Adventure of Link for life. That was a Zelda game. Difficult to boot. Make me a top-down Zelda difficult like that. And ALttP still lives on, for me, as the greatest of them all. It will never be topped. Ever.

I have to say, as an example of being able to like OoT based on other reasons than nostalgia: The first time I played it was when I got it in the limited edition windwaker box, and I actually preferred it to both Majora's Mask and WW (both of which I had played before that). I even think I liked it better than TP, but that may very well be because of the nostalgia. Call me a philistine, but I never managed to get myself through LttP, Zelda games for me have always been about an immersive 3d-world, and playing it in 2D really didn't work for me at all.

I enjoyed Majora's Mask better than OoT, I felt OoT was too linear, even with sidequests.

The time system in Majora's Mask was incredible, and gave a sense of real trial and error. The game really made you feel like a pervasive, yet unsung hero; because time reset you would have to reacquaint yourself with a great many characters, but the Nintendo quashed the redundancy by tracking your exploits through the Bomber's notebook.

It was the most free-form Zelda I had ever played, in that the only restriction was that you had to complete things on the game's timetable, which wasn't that bad considering you could warp, bunnyhood, horseride, and/goron to your many objectives. And it managed to be challenging.

I still play 64 games on 1964 and PJ64/k, because my N64 is no longer functional. I use the wired XBOX 360 controller for all my emus.

Majora's Mask is an incredible game, no doubt. The concept of NPCs with their own lives combined with the time travel element was perfect, the difficulty was ramped up, the story and imagery were the darkest the series had ever seen until that point. I hate to actually compare it to OoT...I see it as more of a complement than a competitor.

Heh same here. Trying to play Paper Mario and other games on PJ 64 and pressing the arrow key always makes them run (I can't be stuffed using any other form of controller). Thank God for the badge that makes Mario always walk, that's probably the sole reason they invented it, for stooges like me who use the arrow keys.

And anyone who hasn't yet finished Majora's Mask, no matter how painful it may seem, do it because it is so worth it, especially for the song played during the end credits....magical. Seriously, I left the game for over 5 years at the Water Temple (what is it with Zelda Water Temples always being a bitch?). Came back and clocked it, it was well worth it.

Wow, the sheer varity of interpretation on this topic astounds me.

[fanboy]

For my two cents, I'm one of those people that has played every single Zelda game. Before you ask, yes I'm obsessed. I don't own the bedsheets or the personal upper thigh massager, but I do enjoy the games quite a bit. The world it presents, the challenges, and just the basic theme are all things I can relate to. So what if it's just a basic hero idiom, that's what makes it great. It's accessible to anyone that wants to give it a try, and the story will always deliver at least one awesome moment.

As for timelines, I prefer this one which links them pretty well based on endings and Dark Link (yeah, I made it myself >_>)

1. Ocarina

2. Majora’s Mask

3. Oracles

4. “ “

5. Awakening

6. Zelda 1

7. Adventures of Link

8. Link to the Past

9. Wind Waker

10. Phantom Hourglass

the only thing out of continuity is the four swords adventures, because the sequel to Wind Waker is Phantom Hourglass. That makes Minish cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventure their own timeline. There is no Vaati anywhere else.

[/fanboy]

Now that that is out of the way, here's my stand on the epic TP versus OoT versus LttP. (with mario64 and galaxy in for good measure)

Frankly, OoT is epic. Zelda tends to be on the leading edge of adventure games, and it didn't disappoint with it's first 3D iteration. There are 8 dungeons to explore, plus Ganon's tower. Five different independent realms within the world itself. No matter how you look at it, that is truly what made that game spectacular. The dungeons weren't slouching either, each one was multi-leveled and felt monstrous. Conquering one always felt like an accomplishment.

How does it stack up to TP? It doesn't. For me, TP is not superior to OoT, period. Not only did I manage to beat it in half the time it took for me to beat OoT, I'm still trying to get myself to go through and play it again. Sure, it had it's moments that I greatly enjoyed, but somehow it just didn't carry the same weight as OoT did. The Dark World was also disappointing to me (I've always been a huge fan of LttP for it's dark world. So awesome.) However, I will say that in it's defense, it improved a lot of what OoT lacked. It was easier to get from place to place, there were no weird moments where you just felt like you were wandering with no clue where to start. Link controls a lot better, and the world is both more open and more beautiful to look at.

Sacrilegious as it seems to say though, my personal favorite game on the 64 will always be Mario 64. I haven't played Galaxy, so i can't weigh in there, but if it even gets close to 64, then that makes it a good game in my book. You have no idea how many times I've gone back and gotten all 120 stars, just because it was so fun to replay all the old levels. I know where all the stars are. but there's something about that game that just makes it fun no matter how often or when you play it. Nintendo created the perfect formula with that game and not even the DS port ruined that (I was iffy on the other characters, especially Yoshi.) Hell, I heard Spinlock when it was posted a few months back, and after going back to hear what the source sounded like, I ended up starting a new file on the old 64 and got a few stars before I put it down. I can't really say what makes it stand the test of time for me, but I guess it a combination of the ability to complete the game in any order I saw fit, the variance of the levels (yeah I know that some of them are pretty similar), and the challenge that some of the stars present even when you know how to get them (Whose hands didn't sweat when they played through the Bowser levels for the red coins?) Would I go back and play through OoT? Yes, in fact I try not to think abut doing so, because if I do I only know that I will end up wanting to beat the fucking thing again. Even if you know what you're doing that thing still takes hours to beat.

In the end though, I don't think it's just nostalgia that brings the majority of people back to older games like Mario64 and OoT. I don't even think it's just nostalgia that brings most people back to even older games like the original Zelda games. It's okay to disagree, and it's also okay to just go back for nostalgia's sake. But games like the above are ones that stood out then for being excellent, and taken in context, still stand out to this day. Be it for challenge, storyline, or just plain fun factor.

Edit: okay, I forgot to mention LttP, But I'll keep it short. LttP is the golden age of Zelda. A ridiculous amount of dungeons, two full-sized maps, and interaction between both of them made it, at least IMO, the best the series has ever offered. The game has no flaws in my eyes and is still enjoyable to this day and accessible to people from every generation.

Nostalgia isn't a plague people, don't be afraid of it. Accept it! It's a good feeling that you should appreciate, not mock.

Ocarina of Time gives me tons of nostalgic feelings as when I first played it (At a relative's house I didn't know very well, he was playing it, I saw it, he set the controller down to get some water, and I simply couldn't resist. It simply amazed me and I HAD to play it, HAD to control it.) I was in love with it. The game still provides me with tons of fun and I really enjoy the game as a whole, and can say while nostalgia definitely enhances (not detracts from!) the experience, it's just an all-around well balanced and fun game for me. I still love gaining each new item and positively aglow every time I pick up the Master Sword.

That said, I do believe Wind Waker kicked the crap out of Ocarina of Time, at least for me, it felt much more epic and I think I was one of the four people on the planet who could sail for quite a while and just enjoy it, relax and love exploring.

Then along came Twilight Princess and destroyed them both. A deeper story, a darker plot and the BALL AND CHAIN BABY. My favorite weapon EVER. If they changed the Master Sword to the Ball and Chain I would cheer from atop the highest mountain. I'm glad I've liked each new Zelda a bit more (Or a lot more) than the last. I've never disliked any, except for maybe Zelda II, which struck me as pretty boring. And CGI Zeldas don't count as video games, let alone real Zelda titles.

Not being able to enjoy new titles... hmm... I can't think of a series that really applies to for me, and I suppose I'm glad for it. New games take long enough as is! Dismissing one as "not as good as the last" sounds like a sad way to enjoy your favorite hobby. I even like the new Sonic Games! I really liked the Adventure Aspect of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Sonic Riders was fairly decent too, hardly excellent, but I admit I got addicted to it. Didn't get a chance with "Sonic the Hedgehog" (PS3/Xbox 360) but I do like Sonic and the Secret Rings, although sadly here, is one case where I liked the previous game, Sonic Adventure 2, better. The game is fast and fun, don't get me wrong, but Sonic just doesn't respond fast enough.

Plus, they killed his Spin Attack. What's wrong with you, Sonic Team?

And Galaxy just plain rules by the way. Which, in my babbling, brings me to Super Paper Mario, which sadly I did not enjoy as much as The Thousand Year Door or the very excellent Mario & Luigi games. I did find it fun, but after a while, the combat just seemed one-sided and far too easy. Miyamoto or Iwata needs to really think about adding some difficulty levels in! I'm all for grandpa playing, hell, MY grandpa has a Wii (Although he's been a Nintendo/Zelda fan as long as I have...) but don't forget those of us who DON'T find a challenge in killing the final boss with three attacks! (Seriously, c'mon! 130 HP was it? With my Bowser doing 65 per fire breath?? That was way too easy!)

Anyway, don't have as much time for forums these days. So once I get on one, I tend to ramble a bit to make up for lost time.

In short: To each his own. You don't have to like anything, but it wouldn't hurt if you did. ;)

Majora's Mask was fine, but it was fully intended to be a spinoff to OoT after all.

But I think OoT deserves more attention because it changed the way 3D adventures are done in general.

Mario Galaxy is one of the most fun and complete platformers I've played in recent years, but the weight of platform games in videogaming has LONG since waned. Much like how shooters like Gradius or fighting games like VF5, no matter how great, really don't have as much impact as an FPS game might nowadays.

I don't bother with the best game ever talk though. But I still think OoT made a much larger impact than just about any Nintendo game since. Maybe except for SSB games on the side.

As for LttP, blasphemy I know, but I actually liked Gameboy Zeldas over LttP at times. The GBC (yes, Gameboy COLOR) Oracle games were amazing in how difficult they sometimes were and how epic the two-parter truly was. Instead of revamping LttP for the thousandth time, I wish Nintendo picks up Capcom's effort in the Oracles series and revamps that instead. It's a much lengthier and complete experience IMO.

I bought Ocarina of Time 2 years after it was released, so i guess it's safe to say that i completely neglected the hype that surrounded it.

It is everything it was cracked up to be.

Looking back, i'd have to say that i liked Majora's Mask more, but OoT was far more epic, and better as a game/whole.

And i agree with Dhsu, though the graphics in Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time look wretched now, i still find them enjoyable, because though simple, they are still convincing, and look good (for their time).

Don't feel bad about it. OoT was an amazing piece of work, but it is not for everyone. Any video game is the same way, but Mario is probably the closest thing to a universal (pardon the pun) game that is accessible and enjoyable to almost everyone.

Personally, I liked the storytelling and mood of Majora better as well, though the dungeons were much more fun in OoT, and that's where a lot of the game's real fun factor matters.

You are a good brother. Fighting Dark Link with Master Sword is the only honorable way to go about it.

oh, and you're supposed to use the hammer, even though Biggoron Sword makes the whole process much easier as well.

I used an entire magic meter's worth of Din's Fire then hammered him for the last few hits :P