I feel bad for not liking Ocarina of Time.

Jaybell

With the recent "dethroning" of OOT by Galaxy as the highest rated game ever, my friends were all whining about how awesome Ocarina of Time was and how Galaxy, while apparently awesome, is nowhere near the level of OOT. I shamefully confessed that I could never get into Ocarina of Time, and everyone stared daggers at me.

Am I such a terrible human being for not really caring for this game?

You're not alone. I fucking hate the game and think it's the second worst Zelda game ever (second only to Majora's Mask).

I HATE ZELDA IN 3D

I just want to add something else to continue the debate of old nostalgic 2D games vs. new 3D games: Metroid.

I haven't played Galaxy, so I can't really speak on Mario64 vs. Galaxy yet. M64 is probably my favorite Mario game so far, but I'd bet that Galaxy wins.

I liked most Zelda games, but I couldn't get into MM or WW. Twilight Princess is my favorite.

But Metroid is very nostalgic for me. Super Metroid is my favorite by a ton. Something about 3D Metroid just doesn't work as well as the 2D games for some reason, at least in my own biased mind. I even like the GBA Metroid games better than the Prime series.

I guess the point of bringing up Metroid is that I'm curious if the people who like A Link to the Past also think that Super Metroid is their favorite. Discuss.

I just want to add something else to continue the debate of old nostalgic 2D games vs. new 3D games: Metroid.

But Metroid is very nostalgic for me. Super Metroid is my favorite by a ton. Something about 3D Metroid just doesn't work as well as the 2D games for some reason, at least in my own biased mind. I even like the GBA Metroid games better than the Prime series.

The reason why Prime sucks is because you have to play it using a freaking controller and aim with a joystick. Come on. Prime would have been sweet if you had been able to use a mouse. Generally, first-person games and jumping around on platforms is a really bad combination, but especially so if you don't have a mouse to aim and look around with. GoldenEye007 would be the best FPS out there had it been played on a computer with a mouse, but it still works on the N64. Metroid Prime was just stupid, it was like playing Doom with a keyboard again except you had to jump around a lot more. Super Metroid is a 2D platformer, possibly one of the best ever, and like most games in its genre it plays better with a controller than with a keyboard and a mouse. Metroid Prime does not. Seriously, who here plays Half-Life or CounterStrike using a joystick? Or a gamepad? There's no reason why a game like Metroid Prime wouldn't have worked well on a computer. It wasn't a bad game.

Ocarina of Time has fangirls too - ahemmmm! I don't think it's simply nostalgia that has kept it at #1. Even though Twilight Princess is awesome, OoT had so much more mystery with the puzzle solving, and the element of music in that sense is what makes it so beautiful. I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy yet, but I think the difference with the Mario games is that they can be really fun and cool, but they don't have the same depth and seriousness as OoT.

Metroid Prime was just stupid, it was like playing Doom with a keyboard again except you had to jump around a lot more.

Let me first say that I think the move to 3d really ruined alot of games.

However, I have no idea what you are complaining about, since you can lock on to an enemy and essentially not have to aim ever. I for one thought Metroid Prime controlled very well even for 3d.

Because simple talk of nostalgia brings many topics to mind when it comes to Nintendo.

Dunno what "on topic" is now, but as to the current one, Prime was fun, and don't I quite consider it an addition to the Metroid line in anything more than story. Nothing can replace Super Metroid in terms of Metroidvania gameplay.

I hated previews of MP because it looked like they lost the 'adventure' nature of SM without having intense FPS action..

But the game was insane, insanely fun, insanely hard, and beautiful. It really made me rethink of Metroid in the echelon of Nintendo series... for a while I was going to put it in '2nd' after Mario itself.

I didn't really get into MP2, but I'm certainly getting MP3. I would have the next Metroid series go closer to the 2d roots, or have a lot more enemies to make the pace frenetic. Super Metroid had a way of being hard, without having to give you too many enemies, that seemed to be lessened in the MP series.

Back to Zelda... does TP beat Oot, and why?:<

First:

Metroid Prime was just stupid, it was like playing Doom with a keyboard again except you had to jump around a lot more.

If by "it was like playing Doom" you mean that it was in first person, then sure, I'll grant you that. However, it is the first game of its kind to actually PROPERLY execute jumping and thus allow for GOOD jumping puzzles in an FPS. I think that's pretty revolutionary by itself. (I've been thinking about it, and it may actually be my favorite game over Ocarina of Time).

But back on topic, did anyone try the ocarina of time bonus disc that came with wind waker? It allows for progressive scan output, which means you can see the game sharper than it was originally! I didn't realize that until just recently, and it really looks great. Now if only it allowed 16:9...