OCR01648 - Cool Spot "OverClocked Spot"

djpretzel

Oh man, the bonus level BGM! Always loved that song. The textures in this mix are so fizzy and bubbly they capture the excitement and wonder of bubble-bouncing around inside the bottle — and of the soda itself. I like how the bells add a Christmas-y feel to it. Plus that rapid-panning schtick early on (0:32 - 0:35) is grin-ducing. :-D

Instant favorite. So good, you'll think it's from a high budget movie soundtrack.

It reminds me of a movie theme, can't place which one.

Basically this mix is fucking awesome. Eat your heart out Hans!

Since I'm here I feel obligated to mention how much I love Eastern Ice Field. Just can not get enough of that remix.

Once again Big Giant Circles delivers.

I'm so happy DJP brought back the punchlines into the write-up! It's not "rock to the crazy Joe Musashi Beat!!" but it's something.

Now the remix. Nice electronic soundscape, the chime sounds works well with the gated synths and really gives the melody some room. Nice LFO controlled breakdown before it all kicks in too ;)

During the track there's a lot of creative processing and filtering which I enjoy. Though the actual arrangement is pretty static during the first half, the processing mentioned keeps it interesting. Nonetheless, the chord changes at about half the song is really a welcome and needed twist. The ending is also pretty cool and changes the sound one last time before it all ends.

All in all, great remix.

Oh man. I don't listen to as much remixes as I used to, but now that I saw a new Cool Spot mix hanging in the Latest column, I just had to give it a listen since CS and his funky little game has left me a good impression. Plus that 7up is good stuff.

I was surprised of how radical Jimmy's path of choice was, you don't pick a song such as the Bonus Level and turn it into a orchestral piece just on a whim, even though he had kept a good portion of its techno elements in the synths and the beats. I had to give the original track a listen first in order to see what BGC have actually done with the source material, and I'm surprised.

The melody is pretty much intact, but the whole feeling of it all have gone through a major personality change. And I like it. This may very well be based on my incredibly strong bias towards philharmonical music and bells (especially bells), but this thing has good flow. It takes time to build itself up, adding and removing instruments as the time goes, creating a nice variety but still keeps a solid tune through most of it all.

Even though I was expecting a somewhat funky musical experience, this is definitly not a bad alternative. Come 'ere BGC so that I can give you a big giant hug, cause this remix has made my day.

SO - LID. Thats all I have to say.. oh yeah and then there is this :

I really like it. I don't remember the original tunes from Cool Spot but I loved that game. This remix is good for the ears and to the soul, it just floats around and keeps the good vibe rolling. And I love the fact that its "repetitive". The same theme keeps coming over and over and leads to a grande finale it really deserves.. Beautiful. And nice touch with the synth guitars... or whatever.

Thanks!

Ooh, another Cool Spot mix. Nice. Tallarico will be pleased. :)

Cool grooves, nice effects, and I agree that a certain Christmasy feeling does come across. I like it. Well done.

Mazedude

PS - I'm quite amused that people are comparing this to the ultra-silly very-short Cool Spot remix I posted so long ago. Of course this is better. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love a lot of the music here, heck...remixes are ALL I listen to (boring, aren't I?), but MAN do I love this one. This Cool Spot remix is one of a special catagory of remixes that I call "sonic floods": remixes that start out great and then build and build into AWESOME. Remixes that just wrap you in sound and give you chills from start to finish. Some of the remixes I include in this catagory are SGX's "Drift", R3FORGED's "Thirty-plus Mix", chthonic's "Linear Groove", "Scrambled Eggman" by Braincells and Snappleman, GaMeBoX's "iMushroom, and Big Giant Circle's own "Eastern Ice Field"...among several others that escape my mind at the moment.

Anyway, back to Spot! This is perfect from start to finish. I always loved the music from the special stage in Cool Spot, and had alway's hoped that someone would do something with it. It starts off light and airy, but than builds up nicely with the soft base and the drums complimenting the melody nicely. Then the little electronica bits come in and start messing with my ears...I love rapid panning that makes it feel like your brain just shifted to the other side of your head. Nice tone down at about the 2:00 minute mark, but it doesn't stay down for long building up again to the rapid synth and electric guitar near the end...Shiver inducing from beginning to end...crank the volume and base for this one.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It even sortof sounds like it's carbonated with all that fizzy filtered highend going on! Now that's dedication! :-)

I love how this keeps adding more and more layers without getting overly packed. Just when you think there's no room for anything else, another layer of percussion or a synth solo gets packed in.

Great stuff overall; I wish the source was a little less repetitive melodically, but it's still a good track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01648 - Cool Spot "OverClocked Spot"
  • 5 years later...