SM_Maridia Remix

HoboKa

Well, I don't know the source, so... I'll try to give you an honest opinion on the rest though. Please do note that, although I mix things, I have no mixes currently on OCR (Don't count the WIP board). I do have one work going through the judges panel at the moment (MegaMan X - "Zero's Final Stand"). Anyways, I'll write comments as I'm listening...

I like the Creepy/Drama intro for sure, the piano entering at 0:27 is just perfect!

I get a creepy feeling now, something big is goin' to happen...

A lot of Buzz at 0:48, sounds good though...

Brutal Synth at 1:00, Tempo seems to go up...

1:57, the entered synth is good, then the beat drops in.

2:30, some background synths come in, they feel odd for some reason, I can't put my finger on it.

3:20, get's a bit more quiet, and at 3:31 the beat stops.

Summary:

You mentioned the drums yourself, so I will not. (Or I just did, didn't I?)

First, Except for the Background Synthing from 2:30 to 3:20, the core doesn't seem to change towards the end, I wouldn't call it repetitive just yet, but it's comming close. When the beat "dies" at 3:31, maybe you should let at least the hihat continue for a bar or two? I totaly dig the intro though, nice work! But the Trancey part from about 2:00 towards the end needs work/polish. Some kind of solo perhaps, or bringing back the piano sounds like an idea. What I'm trying to say is, you're creating the atmosphere that something really (and I mean REALLY) big is going to happen, but it kinda doesn't com to it (yet). Definitly a good start though, it's really prommising! I'll keep this tracked for sure! Anyways, don't change the synth at 1:00, it's perfect as it is!

I like the beginning. Slightly reminiscent of the load/restart theme. Drops, that's so cool, really! 0:39 - now I'm recognizing some Maridia notes. 0:48... Oh no, is this trance? Great. (sarcasm)

The instrument that comes in at about 1:00 sounds a little too high-pitched when it's not all noisy. Reconsider the filter you used on it. All throughout, there's piano notes playing something close to the theme. I don't like your take on the melody, but it's not bad. I'm a big fan of the originals, that's why.

2:09... Here we go. Hooray.

Listen to Blind's stuff, he knows how to mix this kind of music. The mixing is really lame here, it's sounds like there's just samples complete with effects, leaving you with little control over compression, EQ, gate, multipressor, none of that. It's too shallow, you need a deeper and more powerful bass drum, more tempo in the hihats, more prominent snare. Play around the EQ to see what frequencies you should raise to get it.

It's quite similar to Prophecy and Prophetess' "Back To The Place I Once Knew", except not as good. Sorry. Needs more work, and you should try to find Prophecy's take on this, just to hearhow he did it. Try to make it sound cool without making it sound like a newb's copy of it.

I am hearing some promise, tho, and it's not bad. Nice use of the sounds used, with one noisy exception. Bonus points for the drops in the beginning. It needs more work on the mix side, the arrangement is passable or better, says I.

hey there guys, I got a better WIP for this going on...EQ, drums and stuff are still newb but I think I made the main melody a lot better for the 3rd part >=)

I should definately check out Blind's and that Prophesy guy's stuff out...my drum writing is oh so nub-tastic T_T

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/vhro/Maridia_Remix6X_X

CRAP, just came to my attention that the shakers are totally off-beat, sorry bout that guys...I'll fix that asap.

yeah this reminds me of my weapons factory remix in that it sounds like 2 separate ideas combined together. not that it's a bad thing, lots of great songs are made like that, you just gotta find a way to make it sound logical. the beginning sort of sounds like what Avien's version of this song (except your piano is a lot more erratic and jumpy, which kinda bugs me, personal preference maybe), only it changes into a really repetitive sort of techno section. it just doesn't make sense to me, i don't really see how the two fit together aside from connections to the original melody.

Yeah, the synth coming in at 0:47 is soooo J.M. Jarre like :-o Super cool, I still think so...

Up to 2:02 sounds very good, Don't change that is my vision. But the beginning of the trancy part is really nasty, I can't make heads nor tails out of it,as it is too saturated with sounds, and the kick is distortingly loud. After a few seconds though, it is sounding a lot better, but still distorting (as in lower the volume) kick... I'm kinda waiting for a solo that never comes... Then again, it's improvement from the first version. You're on the right track! Needs more variation though...

BTW, my Zero's Final Stand got No'ed... T_T.

Yeah, the synth coming in at 0:47 is soooo J.M. Jarre like :-o Super cool, I still think so...

Up to 2:02 sounds very good, Don't change that is my vision. But the beginning of the trancy part is really nasty, I can't make heads nor tails out of it,as it is too saturated with sounds, and the kick is distortingly loud. After a few seconds though, it is sounding a lot better, but still distorting (as in lower the volume) kick... I'm kinda waiting for a solo that never comes... Then again, it's improvement from the first version. You're on the right track! Needs more variation though...

BTW, my Zero's Final Stand got No'ed... T_T.

aw that sucks :-(. I know that feeling of getting No'd.

Oh well, There's some interesting feedback in the judges corner, so maybe I should give that one up... Once I got something in my head, I'm not likely to change it, so... They did mention my sample quality, which I take seriously! I began downloading preparations for some new stuff, plus I got two other WIPs at the moment posted in here anyways, from which one is going to be my next sub... Uhmm, okay... Why am I doing all this in your thread? :lol::oops:

:<- - - - o - -

Yeah so different idea half way through. I decided that i ought to stick to one genre of music until I get good enough at mixing stuff. Besides, my techno drum writing skills are still pretty ass-y, so I'm sticking to the sad/foreboding orchestral concept. Thanks for the critiques Radiowar, DJ-Arthur and other duder(s), means a lot :D

Close it at 1:40 btw

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/gupe/Maridia_Remix7000000000

Man, I really like the voice samples/instrument you've used here, it's so eerie.

1:17 and now it's picking up some momentum. Nice, really... and ominous, greatly so. Just lacks a big bad ending. With samples like those, a little more of the stuff you had you had around and after 1:17, and that with a little more power intensity (as in whatever it can mean), and you've got my recommendations for submitting it.

As a side note, I played this for my sister. She has no idea what Maridia sounds like (or pretty much anything from the Super Metroid era), and didn't think it sounded like Metroid (as she only knows Prime) at all. She then asked: "Is it like this the whole time?" That's a valid question. I think this really captures much of the feel Maridia had, still has, but as a remix, as standalone music, it needs that grande finale. At least something to say it's getting bigger and badder towards the end.

Man, I really like the voice samples/instrument you've used here, it's so eerie.

1:17 and now it's picking up some momentum. Nice, really... and ominous, greatly so. Just lacks a big bad ending. With samples like those, a little more of the stuff you had you had around and after 1:17, and that with a little more power intensity (as in whatever it can mean), and you've got my recommendations for submitting it.

As a side note, I played this for my sister. She has no idea what Maridia sounds like (or pretty much anything from the Super Metroid era), and didn't think it sounded like Metroid (as she only knows Prime) at all. She then asked: "Is it like this the whole time?" That's a valid question. I think this really captures much of the feel Maridia had, still has, but as a remix, as standalone music, it needs that grande finale. At least something to say it's getting bigger and badder towards the end.

it needs a lot more work ;), thanks for the input man. And yeah its only half done hehe, so that grand finale will have to wait a bit.

You're going to remember this criticism: Nice sounding textures and a decent soundscape, but it's headed nowhere.. granted, things intensify a bit (and become muddier) throughout the piece, but still, no direction whatsoever. I can hear this playing in a cheap eighties horror flick, not on OCR.

Edit: Wow, I was hung-over this morning, sorry for being so harsh and stuff, I should have said cheap NINETIES horror flick, not cheap EIGHTIES horror flick =/