Black Friday

big giant circles

Hue values cannot even begin to explain how green I am.

Not even 00FF00? That's pretty green!

Good job, anyway, AD. I've never been much a fan of comic books, but I can imagine how excited I'd be if, for instance, a local bookstore were to sell old sci-fi novels for a dime each, and how much I'd spend there...

I was fortunate enough to be one of the opening managers at my GameStop on Friday. It actually wasn't terrible after our 20+ Wii's were gone, and we had a fairly good day business-wise.

And Dhsu, I agree that it's often about getting the item and not necessarily the price. Did anyone else know how hard Guitar Hero III is to locate for the Wii? We got some in on Friday morning, and they were gone in a few minutes. Someone told me that we were the only store that had any in stock anywhere in town.

On another note, apparently Brits are having a field day for Black Friday. Because their Pound is about double the worth of the dollars. Who says Black Friday is an American thing? I bet foreigners are all over this.

Yeah, I really see no downside to Black Friday. Retailers profit and informed consumers can profit; it's a win-win. I would think that any country, even those that do not have a significant Christian population, would embrace it if given the chance.

This whole idea of fist-fights and long lines, although true, is exaggerated. I'm pretty sure more of that happens in the last hours before the Christmas shopping season ends as on Black Friday. In anycase, sales typically extend in some form over the entire Black Friday weekend and the hours after the initial rush are, in my experience, much more mundane.