Underrated Game Soundtracks...

SwordBreaker

So are there any game soundtracks you feel that you're the only one paying attention to them?

Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged. Wow. Both games have very high-quality soundtracks for spin-offs. Charged has A LOT of variety. The intro track alone kicks ass. Some character theme songs are simply AWESOME, like Daisy, Mario, Bowser, and ESPECIALLY Luigi which sounds like something from Zorro or Kill Bill...

Digital Devil Saga 1. Kick ass guitar-based music. Very moody stuff.

Radiata Stories. The only Tri-Ace game that doesn't have Motoi Sakuraba as its composer. Noriyuki Iwadare takes the helm and does an excellent job. Lots of ragtime, jazzy, and orchestrated themes. There's also a really cool Spanish acoustic guitar track called "Wind".

SOOOOOO MANY!

Jade Cocoon is underrated in every essence of the word.

The Ar Tonelico soundtracks didn't get nearly the boom they deserved.

Crash Twinsanity is an amazing new kind of Video Game Soundtrack done entirely acapella with beatboxing. And it's free. Google it!

ESPGaluda's got some of the best J-trance around.

Everything done for Skullmonkeys is excellent.

The small ammount of tracks that was the Vib Ribbon soundtrack was also pure enjoyment.

I'm a HUGE Shoji Meguro fan, so everything for Persona or Digital Devil Saga is amazing. Especially DDS1&2.

The mecha XBOX game Phantom Crash had some really unique tracks by Kimitaka Matsumae (who did Jade Cocoon) and some instrumentalists. Get the gamerip if you can.

The soundtrack for Voodoo Vince is also one of the best soundtracks around with it's amazing blues/jazz soundtrack.

And lastly, everything by Kou Hayashi and Daisuke Nagata. Especially Chaosfield and Radirgy.

I'm a HUGE Shoji Meguro fan, so everything for Persona or Digital Devil Saga is amazing. Especially DDS1&2.

A big "HELL YEAH" for this. Though I would add Nocturne to my list. It has a quite a few solid tracks too.

Meguro's work doesn't really need to be mixed, but I sure as hell would want to hear some mixes.

Einhänder, the Suikoden soundtracks (all of them), Orge Battle 64, Dark Cloud 2 gets another vote. Awesome OST on that one. Brave Fencer Musashi (the first one) is one of my all time favorites. One of my favorite ReMixers (beatdrop) even did a mix, but I still say it needs more. More love from me for the SaGa games as well. I'm more partial to Saga Frontier 2 meself. Chaos Legion has an excellent soundtrack as well.

I see the potential for remixing Cheetahmen II, but honestly, I don't think the music is really THAT great... But on to the subject at hand...

While, of course, some music from this game isn't that great, I think Kabuki Quantum Fighter had a couple songs that should definitely be looked at. Quest 64 also has major places where remixes would do wonders, such as the desert, Shamwood Palace, and final boss theme, for sure. Also worth a look is Harvest Moon 64's 'failure' song, which plays if you don't pass the requirement before the day your dad evaluates your farm.

Three of the biggest orchestral game soundtracks to come out of North America in the past 20 years: Outcast, Total Annihilation, and Heart of Darkness. None of these were the most popular of games, but they each had scores that even went beyond the scope of film music and probably could have ushered in the orchestral trend earlier if they had been more popular. There was nothing gimmicky about the use of an orchestra either as they all had great, drawn-out thematic material that would have sounded fine on an SB16 synth.

The Dig also seems to be falling into obscurity. I consider these four scores landmarks of game music.

Three of the biggest orchestral game soundtracks to come out of North America in the past 20 years: Outcast, Total Annihilation, and Heart of Darkness. None of these were the most popular of games, but they each had scores that even went beyond the scope of film music and probably could have ushered in the orchestral trend earlier if they had been more popular. There was nothing gimmicky about the use of an orchestra either as they all had great, drawn-out thematic material that would have sounded fine on an SB16 synth.

The Dig also seems to be falling into obscurity. I consider these four scores landmarks of game music.

Total Annihilation is one of the most overlooked masterpieces of this era. I really love The Dig's music. Pretty much everything done by Peter McConnell and Michael Land is worth listening to.

Rock'N Roll Racing, Captain Tsubasa and Pop'n Twinbee are also relatively below the radar.

We're Back! is not really a full soundtrack, but what little is there is catchy.

Threads of Fate is one I frequently consider. The Metal Gear games (NOT Metal Gear Solid... I've actually only played Metal Gear Solid 1 and the soundtrack is fairly... repetitive) are good too.

Until the most recent mix I thought I was the only one who knew the glory of Cool Spot. I intend to do something with Pier Pressure.

Total Annihilation is one of the most overlooked masterpieces of this era. I really love The Dig's music. Pretty much everything done by Peter McConnell and Michael Land is worth listening to.

Fuck yeah. I only started playing The Dig recently, actually. Goddamned fossil...

But yeah, hearing Land do music for that and then hearing his stuff for Sam and Max Hit the Road really shows you something about the guy's abilities.