Underrated Game Soundtracks...

SwordBreaker

The small ammount of tracks that was the Vib Ribbon soundtrack was also pure enjoyment.

OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT VIB RIBBON AAAAAAUGUGUGHGHUKLAHLlahlgla.

Such a great game! The only original tracks, though, I think, were the title, the demo video, the menu screen, and that crazy song the rabbit sings if you do good enough. The six AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME songs that were already on the disc I think already existed? They were by some crazy japanese band, Laugh and Beats or some such, maybe.

BUT IF THEY WERE ELIGIBLE FOR THE STANDARDS a remix of them would be baaaaaaadaaaaaaass. They are the happiest songs ever.

Jade Cocoon

I like you.

A big "HELL YEAH" for this. Though I would add Nocturne to my list. It has a quite a few solid tracks too.

Meguro's work doesn't really need to be mixed, but I sure as hell would want to hear some mixes.

That's why I haven't been arsed to remix it yet. It's like perfect. DAMN YOU MEGURO!

I see the potential for remixing Cheetahmen II, but honestly, I don't think the music is really THAT great...

I totally remixed it. ahyeaah.

OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT VIB RIBBON AAAAAAUGUGUGHGHUKLAHLlahlgla.

it should be eligible for remixing, the songs were written for the game after all. Laugh & Peace (or Laugh & Beats, they've been called both) ftw.

Three of the biggest orchestral game soundtracks to come out of North America in the past 20 years: Outcast, Total Annihilation, and Heart of Darkness. None of these were the most popular of games, but they each had scores that even went beyond the scope of film music and probably could have ushered in the orchestral trend earlier if they had been more popular. There was nothing gimmicky about the use of an orchestra either as they all had great, drawn-out thematic material that would have sounded fine on an SB16 synth.

The Dig also seems to be falling into obscurity. I consider these four scores landmarks of game music.

I'm not much for ochestral sountracks. While I do appreciate orchestral arrangements of VGM I feel that sometimes soundtracks are orchestral just for the sake of it. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that they are playing games not movies. I'm an RPG-freak myself so I'm not really one to talk about movie-like-games but I still appreciate if the music is catchy and appropriate. While Outcast had a soundtrack fitting to the game I feel that Heart of Darkness could have some much more interesting music.

This is ofc a very personal opinion but I really like unique soundtracks. That's one of the reasons Katamari Damacy's soundtrack was so incredibly enjoyable. It was unique, personal and fitting to the game. Every theme was relevant. I fail to see how a big orchestra should accompany platform-jumping in a dark swamp. :)

For those who said Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, and F Zero GX...hell yes.

Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time and has some of the best stuff from Sakuraba. That reminds me of another underrated game but recognized Sakuraba soundtrack, Baten Kaitos. Epic stuff.

Vagrant Story's tracks aren't as appealing as FF Tactics composition, but Sakimoto managed to attract me with tracks like "Factory" and "Sanctum".

F-Zero GX is probably one of the best soundtracks to come out of Nintendo thanks to Sega's involvement in it. Lots of quality and production values thanks to the live sound. It rivals the recent Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack in terms of quality. I enjoy some of the characters' theme songs, and the tracks have some awesome techno/rock vibe to them that gets your adrenaline pumping while racing. I especially love the Fire Field and Mute City songs.

For those who said Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, and F Zero GX...hell yes.

Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time and has some of the best stuff from Sakuraba. That reminds me of another underrated game but recognized Sakuraba soundtrack, Baten Kaitos. Epic stuff.

F-Zero GX is truly a gem. It has SO many tracks to listen to that are all unique.

Though Valkyrie Profile left me quite bored, as all Sakuraba's soundtracks seems to do when you take them out of context. Baten Kaitos was pretty decent. I like the more out-there tracks like House of Cards.. The Sakuraba-prog-battle-themes are still boring but the spicy town themes make up for that side of the soundtrack.

Valkyrie Profile was so much action-music and the other melodies just weren't interesting enough imho. But hey, it's not like we can't disagree ;)

F-Zero GX is truly a gem. It has SO many tracks to listen to that are all unique.

Though Valkyrie Profile left me quite bored, as all Sakuraba's soundtracks seems to do when you take them out of context. Baten Kaitos was pretty decent. I like the more out-there tracks like House of Cards.. The Sakuraba-prog-battle-themes are still boring but the spicy town themes make up for that side of the soundtrack.

Valkyrie Profile was so much action-music and the other melodies just weren't interesting enough imho. But hey, it's not like we can't disagree ;)

I think I understand what you mean. Most of Sakuraba's battle and action music sound similar to each other or at least have common elements. While some may hate the lack of variety, I enjoy it sometimes. "Distortions and the Void of Dispair" from Valkyrie Profile has a nice melody with an excellent guitar riff in the background. Baten Kaitos' boss battle themes have infectious guitar riffs and I love the fact that there's more than one boss theme in the game, including that techno-based one which caught me off guard.

But yeah...I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Town themes. They're A LOT cooler than the cinematic stuff. BK's "Gentle Wind" and "Bellflower" sound unbelievably awesome. Of course let's not forget Star Ocean 2's Theme of Rena, which has an awesome remixed by Dale on OCR.

Most of you goddamn punks had consoles growing up to feed into your atavistic need to look at shiny things to draw your attention.

I was bereft of console systems. My mind was refined and honed on PC games, which is why I hold so very many of you in contempt. I loathe you OCremix. You need more PC soundtracks

FX Fighter

Betrayal at Krondor

Gabriel Knight

King's Quest 7 (whichever one has you as the princess)

Diablo

Zephyr (really obscure, incredible soundtrack)

Silpheed

Jazz the Jackrabbit

Unreal

Max Payne 2

TES: Daggerfall

American McGee's Alice (not really a good euphonic soundtrack, but wildly inventive and unusual)

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (really all the Heroes of M&M, but 2 had music that ranged from haunting to soaring to sweeping to awe-inspiring)

Might and Magic, The Mandate of Heaven (the Mandate of Heaven had this one song, snowy wilderness I believe, that was particularly beautiful)

Mechwarrior 2

Wing Commander 2

Lands of Lore: the Throne of Chaos

aaaand I think I've exhausted myself. Maybe after this next remix I'm working on, I'll be the champion of PC soundtracks. Lord knows YOU ALL aren't doing your part!!!

Beyond Good and Evil.

Oh yeah. The reaggae rhinos!!!

Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Threads of Fate & TimeSplitters 2.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is fantastic. Though Yasunori Mitsuda's work for it is well.. not that good. Yoshitaka Hirota outdid himself! The Fate DAMNIT! I'm actually remixing Shadow Hearts: Covenant atm ;)

I was bereft of console systems. My mind was refined and honed on PC games, which is why I hold so very many of you in contempt. I loathe you OCremix. You need more PC soundtracks

BOOO PC, YAY CONSOLE!

I totally remixed it. ahyeaah.
I'm sorry, sir, but you have failed at the intarnets. It's already been remixed/accepted and it already kicks ass. Anso will probably murder you now.

I believe you have both missed the meaning of what I said, which was that the music has great potential for remixing, but isn't that great beyond that. Saying it in a slightly different way, the music isn't noteworthy, but a person with the right skills could definitely make a good remix of it. I honestly don't know how you saw it as a contradiction to my statement (Otherwise, taking the time to quote me and tell me I phail wouldn't make sense) to say that you or someone else made a good enough remix to get accepted, since I clearly said that it had potential for remixing.

I believe you have both missed the meaning of what I said, which was that the music has great potential for remixing, but isn't that great beyond that. Saying it in a slightly different way, the music isn't noteworthy, but a person with the right skills could definitely make a good remix of it. I honestly don't know how you saw it as a contradiction to my statement (Otherwise, taking the time to quote me and tell me I phail wouldn't make sense) to say that you or someone else made a good enough remix to get accepted, since I clearly said that it had potential for remixing.

I never said you phailed, that was ToN and he's not the smartest caveman around.

I just said I remixed because you said "I see the potential for remixing Cheetahmen II", it was just a statement.

In other words, saying I missed the meaning of what you said is... well.. PHAAAIL :D

I didn't say you failed at seeing the potential for remixing. I meant you failed at seeing the awesomeness this tune has to offer. Of course, everyone has their own opinions.