OCR01650 - Pokémon Red Version "Clairvoyant Eulogy"

djpretzel

Up until recently, I hated the whole Pokemon franchise. However, a friend of mine finally convinced me to play it, and I completely changed my mind!

I didn't really like anything off the soundtrack except for the source to this song (which was played in a ghost town or something, I think). The original track had such a heavily detuned, odd, avante garde feel to it that made it creepy and just plain badass in my opinion.

Anyway, I felt this mix did an awesome job of taking that creepiness to the next level. I love the industrial drums, and the distorted synth that comes in at 0:40 is awesome.

All in all, great job on taking the source to a whole new level while still maintaining the creepiness and feel of the original.

I remember when TO started doing pokémon remixes years ago, but never got any of them past the WIP stage. I still have his Ice Cavern remix, in fact.

I also remember when he asked if he could do this song for The MissingNo Tracks. It was already taken by someone else, though, and he seemed a little disappointed at that. I wish we could have worked something out, but, alas, it was not to be, I suppose.

But I am glad to see not only another pokemix on OCR, but also a pretty good one. I sort of wish I had said yes back then, but that's my loss, I suppose.

Congrats, TO. You've been trying to get a pokémon remix here for a few years now. I'm glad you got it.

Lavender Town! Sourcetune of death!

Anyway. You made it sound less horrible and added some pretty basic, but sweet chords. The last note in the intro section is totally atonal, but it's cool because it gives kind of a freaky mood, something the source is all about.

The bass is funky. But it feels like you're milking it a bit. It's basically the same bassline during the whole main part of the song.

The gating of the strings are nice and some of the ambient FX really sets the mood. But imho I think you could've been a bit more liberal about the arrangement, maybe added some of your own ideas instead of just building it all on top of the original.

This is not a bad remix, not by a long shot, but I can't help to think it could've been better.

Hah, you judges thought the source tune sounded like the "gameboy batteries were dying"; if you heard it as it was in the game itself (as stated, at Lavender Town), you'd know what it was like that. :P

Still it was awesome to see a twisted source like that transformed into an equally twisted arrangement like this one. As The Damned said, it's a shame that it's not on the Pokemon project lineup, otherwise this would have made one heck of a release track or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, creepy. Well done. I guess it takes patience as well as talent to take what is ultimately a boring piece of BGM and turn it into a cool listen. Pokemon games are definately not known for their music, after all, but this is a good start. Perhaps we can soon expect a remix of the 'ice cave' area BGM from Pokemon Crystal? I don't remember what the level was called, only that it had awesome music that seemed really out of place in a Pokemon game. Yes, I'd love to hear a remix of that!

• 4 months later...

I am totally digging the super crunchy drums, and the panning synths, and compared to the source, this is completely awesome.

It does really feel like an expansion of the original rather than a vast re-imagining, but the additional parts are all really good, and make it listenable. Why you chose to remix the Red version of the theme instead of the Blue is kindof baffling, since the latte rversion was so much better. To each his own I guess. :<

To sort of echo AnSo, I think the bass does get a bit repetitive, and the fadeout seems kind of weak, but otherwise it's a great track. Nice work.

• 9 months later...
Why you chose to remix the Red version of the theme instead of the Blue is kind of baffling, since the latter version was so much better. To each his own I guess. :<

But,

but,the Red and Blue themes for Pokemon Tower are the same :?

This mix has a decent amount of creepiness to it.

And I agree with previous sentiments that it's more "improvement" than "reimagined", but still, it's good, listenable, and I like it. At the least, its worth listening to for nostalgia.

• 1 year later...

I do think it's funny that Pokémon Red was chosen over Pokémon Blue when they have the same themes. Heh. That's really beside the point though. This was certainly one of the most memorable songs in both Red and Blue. Creeped me out as a kid...and this mix creeps me out now. :shock:

Very nice!

Creepy and mysterious....I love it. The beats that back up the track give it a cool slightly hip-hop-ish sound and the bell-sounding stuff in the beginning was cool. It's a little too upbeat for the funeral sounding source it came from, but it's pretty cool for branching out and being better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello TO, how is the flaming skull?

drunk #6

The atmospheric synths add a nice... er atmosphere to the song. That tinkly synth is a good accompany.

The drums are very basic... And when I hear songs that do this, I always think... "Okay, I get that this is an intro, so you save best for later, but staring more complex in some cases might make you push your limits"...

They eventually get more complex, with that tambourine and the toms and random fills... The gated synth helps a lot with the rhythm too, and the strings really give a somber mood that I like... But overall, the song was just getting started, then it fades out... with that same overly basic drum pattern that made me kinda ugh in the first place.

But I guess that's okay because the thought was established, you came and said what you wanted to, and it then it was over. Maybe the source isn't too complex either, so you were really working it... But then again a little more creativity could have helped.

I should review some of your newer stuff sometime :J

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01650 - Pokémon Red Version "Clairvoyant Eulogy"