PRC108: When Rodents Go Emo (Lemmings)

Rexy

The People's Remix Competition 108

PRCv5-4

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last time, Alex Smith came to the fore into a Descent based competition and took - after what seemed like a while - his first win (though correct me if I'm wrong, lol).

As far as the source tune has gone, he's gone for something pretty fun. I may have only properly approached this franchise through the PSP version, but no one can really deny that this is a very iconic game today. Someone needs to call for their OWN drills to help these poor rodents from their own impending suicide...!

prc108.png

This source tune really takes me back to my super nintendo playing days. I always loved the music of Lemmings and the opening tune was always stuck in my head. Despite the various C64 Lemmings remixes on OCR, there isn't a single remix from the SNES version. So in homage to this fun and tuneful soundtrack I present to you this fine source tune!

Lemmings (SNES) - Opening

MIDI | MP3 | SPC

What can I possibly say about all this? You better make a strong showcase of mixes before they fall into a pit unknowingly. >.>

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your image to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, December 1st at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

The mixing stage is over. Now we have two entries, we will have a voting stage. This is what will happen -

• Register at ThaSauce if you haven't done so already.
  • Head to the competition's page and use the voting form at the bottom to decide your preference between the two entries, with a reasoning attached.
  • The remixers can't vote as they will just cancel each other's vote out. Alex's vote counts twice.
  • Once you've submitted your vote you can return to your Christmas shopping (!).

You have until Thursday, December 6th at 4:59AM EST to make your vote. The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC109!

Chickenwarlord - Suicide Cave

Theory of Nonexistence - French Metal in My Pocket

Okay, the voting stage is officially over. And we shall see what kind of results we got out of that. Who reached the exit safely? And who was mistakenly assigned to be a bomber to send the winner through?

Total number of mixes - 2

Total number of votes - 9

Highest possible score - 18

And once again we saw the results coming...

The winner by an unanimous vote is Theory of Nonexistence with 18 points!

Dustin, way to go on your first win! You must have come a long way from your rap contribution earlier this year; shame you didn't finish your work but I saw some promise from you. Either way, you'll need clarification now for the next stage - today, you'll need to come up with a source tune for the next competition. It can be any song as long as it hasn't been covered on OCR (site projects don't count though, so stuff like Sonic 3's Carnival Night Zone theme is still fair game).

I hope to see you again tomorrow for PRC109. Be there ;)

I feel strongly that some of the voters were far too harsh and unfair towards Chickenwarlord and his entry.

Before you start flaming people in future, think about this: if you think you can do better, prove it by entering a remix yourself.

How will there be "growth in the artform" if you don't criticise contructively? I don't know whether it's laziness or pure maliciousness, but either way it's wrong.

I can see where you're going with this, but he said himself that he didn't try very hard and actually attempted to make it sound bad. How can you give anyone constructive criticism to help him improve if he doesn't try his best to begin with?

I do, however, agree with this statement 100%

if you think you can do better, prove it by entering a remix yourself.

People are right to bash it. It was mastered and arranged poorly, so it got the beatdown it deserved. I have submitted to OLR, as is my normal process with pieces I feel are more of a travesty than a good thing.

The funny thing is that more people voted in this compo than others where I've had much better entries. Hopefully this trend continues.

Also, pretty much anyone can remix better than that. If I'm willing to put out that piece of crud as an entry, you (followers of PRC) shouldn't be afraid to do the same :). It is, truthfully, all about the fun of competition regardless of whether you win or not.

ToN: make that source tune kick copious amounts of ass.