WIP - FF7 Main theme

Pixel

Ive been working on this for a few hours, but im really stuck with what to do with it. I've tried to subtly incorporate the theme in for the first minute and half... after that its just messy.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E7BNTABI

Be as ruthless with your comments as you like:-P

EDIT: Ok, uploaded to Tindeck. Thanks for your help.

Click here to listen!

I feel like there's not a whole lot of progression going on in this piece. Its just the strings and a little bit of that voice, and that's all. Its just too sparse to make an entire mix out of just those two things, and it also doesn't really go anywhere; I didn't really recognize the ff7 right off the bat, and there isn't any furthering of the piece... kinda repetitive. It can be made better certainly, but its a ways off.

yea i would agree with derritt, just seems to need more to it. It would make great meditation music i think but im having a hard time connecting it compositionally. I would say expand more on the theme and integrate more ethereal sounds in the mix. I.E.

or maybe soft percussion/mallets. Just needs something authentic and real to bring it to life and enrich the ethereal feeling it has.

oof those strings sound kinda harsh; especially when drawn out. Try Squidfont Orchestral...look it up google or something. And yeah this is uber minimalist, i'm sorry but I'm not getting any dramatic feeling cuz the string is pretty ugly. Usually I'm OVERLY friendly when reviewing stuff, but I think you ought to know: ya got quite a ways to go my friend, like me >_<.

You've got potential, and you're not tone deaf, from what I can tell here - so you've got a BIG thing going for you there ;-), keep at it dude, find better samples and add more support melodies/instruments in there. Don't let our criticism put you down - I used to always go emo over this stuff, but I got over it. Trust me, if you listen to what we're saying you'll improve tremendously. I'm still in your shoes, but every day I get a little bit better.