Possible Christmas Music Project

Dyne

Well, it's official. I'm making this a full fledged project. But this isn't your typical project. Nor is it a site project. This is simply a project to celebrate the Christmas Season with excellent music. With that, here are the major details.

The deadline for the project will be December 20, 11:59pm EST, and with some hard work, and luck, the release will be Saturday, December 22, 11:59pm EST. I'd like to see WIPs submitted by December 10th. After that, final tracks by the deadline. You can definitely submit your WIPs to the Non-Remixes forum for evaluation by the community, in fact, I suggest it so you can get a bead on reaction from the audience.

As far as album art goes, if someone would like to take up the task of creating album art, that would be wonderful. Right now, I'm considering the title An Overclocked Christmas, I think it's pretty catchy, and well, I kinda like it myself. Suggestions are welcome.

Anyone participating in this project, please send me a PM and let me know you're interested, and what track or tracks you are remixing. I will update this thread with all of the current remixers participating, and what song or songs they're working on as I receive information.

To help get everyone started, here are links to resources you can use to find what you want to rearrange:

Midi Files of Christmas Carols

The Woodshed's Christmas Midi Files

Christmas Songs

Current Contributions:

jmr - Little Drummer Boy (WIP - UPDATED)

Geoffrey Taucer - Carol of the Bells (WiP pending)

sephire - Purity & Carol of the Bells (WiP)

the prophet of mephisto Away in a Manger & O Come, O Come, Emanuel (WiP)

Random_Hero - Mary, Did You Know? (WiP)

Monobrow - Walking in the Air (New WiP pending)

sinewave - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (WiP)

Tweek - Winter's Town (WiP Pending)

The Coop - Algorythmic Carol (WiP)

Fratto - Christmas Time is Here (WiP)

227 - Jingle Bells (WiP)

Just a side note, everything is going to remain in WiP status until Friday evening when I'm able to finalize the list.

Final Submission Guidelines

The question came up from The Coop about what bitrate the final submissions should be in. Well, the easiest answer is, 192. As for the format of the project itself, I would like to keep it simple, and leave it in MP3 format. I understand if there are some out there that want FLAC. If there is enough interest, and our remixers for this project have no objections to it, I'll kindly ask for the rearrangements in FLAC.

As for tagging, I will handle the majority of the tagging myself, the only things I ask for from everyone on the project is your remixer name in the Artist text box, and the full title of your rearrangement in the Title text box. The rest I will fill in personally.

Other than those aspects, if anyone has any suggestions for things I might have missed, please feel free to PM me within the next 48 hours, and I'll gladly look into it and decide accordingly.

As a side note, I'm so very pleased at the turn out for this project. I honestly only imagined maybe three or four remixers would step forward for this. Imagine though, my surprise, when ten remixers came forward to display their talents. I wanted to take a moment to pre-emptively thank EVERYONE ONE OF YOU. Being my first time putting together anything of this sort, I wanted it to be the best it could be, and just by your involvement, I feel it is the best it could be.

Thank you so very much, and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you all!

First and foremost, Happy Holidays!

It's the Christmas season once again. Soon, everyone will be singing songs, wrapping gifts, and enjoying time with their loved ones. It is the singing of songs, or the playing of music rather, that interests me most about the time of year. Every year you hear the same ol' Christmas songs. Not really all that big of a deal. They're classics after all.

So I had a bit of a thought not too long ago; why not ask around and see if there's anyone out there that feels up to the challenge of writing rearrangements of classic Christmas music? Well, I'm asking.

Are you up to the challenge of rearranging these classic songs?

Jingle Bells, Let It Snow, The Christmas Song, Winter Wonderland, I'll Be Home for Christmas, etc...

I'm not limiting it to just those songs, as this thread is more to get a read on the level of expected participation. The way I see it, if there's enough interest in doing a low-key rearrangement album of this kind, I would like to get it under way as soon as possible. Please keep in mind, that I'm not looking to make it into the Site Projects category mainly because you would be rearranging Christmas songs, and these songs are non-game oriented songs.

With all of that said, if there is any interest in this, I'd like to try to find out by the end of this week (that would be Friday, November 30). As I said, if there's enough interest, then I'd like to try to put the completed project together in album form by December 22.

So if anyone would like to get in on the album, feel free to post in this thread or contact me via PM. Ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Awesome! I'm glad to see some interest. Any interest, no matter how small, is what really counts. Besides, I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that'll enjoy this.

Alright then, it's on. (Also, I enjoyed the 1-Up Mushrooms Sleigh Ride. That was very cool.)

Nice work Skrypnyk, I think you killed the project before it was even given birth.

Well, in any event. I'll start putting it together within the next few days. If anyone has any interest at all, feel free to take it to the next level and put up some WIPs within this thread. With enough responses, we can at least make an EP album. Short, but sweet can go a long way.

No guarentees, but I'll see if I can't come up with a song for this. I've always wanted to mess around with Christmas songs, and with a certain amount of free time coming up, it'll be good to break out the instruments. Either way though, good luck. I'd listen to it, if for no other reason than the current barrage of Christmas songs is just a little old these days.

Why not start an OC Remix project that reinterprets the winter theme music from various games. It could be a OC video game holiday tribute album! Lots of games have winter music. This could be the most festive OC project yet!

First of all, Christmas music sounds kinda tacky.

Second of all, it's not winter world-wide.

Third and finally- if this goes ahead, good luck. :)

To be honest, I'm a little skeptical about the possibility of completing a good remix project within 25 days.

But ah... what the heck. Count me in. It couldn't hurt to try. Besides I'm sick and stuck at home with nothing better to do anyway. This way I'll be doing something constructive instead of wasting time all day.

I think I'm going to take a stab at "O Holy Night".

Shoot. I forgot how hard these things were to get started on...

Anyone wanna try and collaborate on something? I'm kinda having trouble getting started with ideas. I'm using good ol' Reason 3.0 if that matters to anyone. I'm a usually considered a pretty good singer, especially when it comes to the two polar extremes of pleasant soft music and noisy rock music ;-).