CONFIRMED: OC ReMixer Reuben Kee, 23, killed in boating accident (1984-2007)

Sgt. Fuzzy

We're discussion some sort of tribute in #ocrjudges. Dave hasn't been around since the bad news to weigh in yet, so I'm sure he'll probably have a good idea as well.

As for me, I was thinking if someone could mashup his remixes and make a music video with tasteful footage from the respective games along with some quotes from his reviews threads, and perhaps some quotes from this thread capped off with a photograph or two and not only made it available online but somehow managed to get a HQ DVD-quality version to his family.

For his family to know how many lives he touched with his personality and music would be a far greater gift than any amount of money, IMO.

What do y'all think?

I hate to be the naysayer here considering the sensitive context, but I always felt tribute videos were slightly cheesy and more than a little awkward. I think sending cards and traditional gifts such as flowers would be more tasteful and meaningful to his family, as well as less time-consuming to coordinate.

Whatever you guys decide on doing though, I'm sure it will be appreciated. Also, it might be helpful to first do some research on how death is traditional handled in Singapore.

I hate to be the naysayer here considering the sensitive context, but I always felt tribute videos were slightly cheesy and more than a little awkward. I think sending cards and traditional gifts such as flowers would be more tasteful and meaningful to his family, as well as less time-consuming to coordinate.

Whatever you guys decide on doing though, I'm sure it will be appreciated. Also, it might be helpful to first do some research on how death is traditional handled in Singapore.

Why a video? Well, flowers and cards are always expected, so the notion is trite. Also, flowers and cards aren't really something I feel would be personalized and specific from an online community of people that didn't personally know him but was touched by his media. Slightly cheesy? By whose standards? Yours? Who are we trying to impress? In my mind, we're not trying to impress anyone. I'm suggesting an idea that will serve as a gift specifically for his family to help preserve his music, as well as the good thoughts everyone has about him.

Not trying to spark argument, especially in this thread, but I just want to make clear why I feel such a tribute WOULD be appropriate coming from this community.

You may be gone, but the music that you left behind will forever remain among us. You put your spirit into your works, and many people have and will feel that through your music for generations. Thank you for using your talent to bless us with some of the best music that I have ever heard. Your masterpieces, Legend of the Snake 1 and 2, along with your other pieces will be loved for many ages, and you will be remembered in our hearts forever.

Death is always tragic when it happens to the young and promising.

I agree. Sending a tribute video with video game footage, while thoughtful, may not be quite as touching or meaningful to his family. Perhaps flowers or something more traditional with a note saying something like: "While few of us ever had the pleasure of speaking with him, we have all been touched by his beautiful music. You are all in our prayers."

Actually, in addition to that, we should send a nice, high-quality CD of all his music that we can find. It's possible has family hasn't heard a lot of it. That could be infinitely more meaningful than flowers.

Why a video? Well, flowers and cards are always expected, so the notion is trite. Also, flowers and cards aren't really something I feel would be personalized and specific from an online community of people that didn't personally know him but was touched by his media.

I'm really not sure how you can get more personalized than handwritten cards from dozens of board members. I think it gives it a more individual touch than just a single video would. Cards are common, but it's whom they come from that makes them significant. His family might expect cards, but not from people from the other side of the world.

Slightly cheesy? By whose standards? Yours?

Yes, mine. I never said anything otherwise.

Who are we trying to impress? In my mind, we're not trying to impress anyone.

Did I say we were trying to impress anyone? I was just offering an alternative I felt was more meaningful.

Not trying to spark argument, especially in this thread, but I just want to make clear why I feel such a tribute WOULD be appropriate coming from this community.

That's fine. There's no reason we can't do both.

This is pretty crazy... Always weird to lose somebody in your tight knit community.

Thought I gotta side with Dhsu... The idea of a "tribute video" with mashed up music, video game footage and quotes from reviews of his remixes sounds like it'll be pretty cheesy and wince inducing, and not in a good way.

I know that it'll be something done with love and care, but making a tribute to him in song seems like a much better idea than a tribute video...

This may sound really silly to the rest of you, but this is symbolic at least to me.

People have always said this signature that Doulifee made me looks like Terry is tipping his hat at something, as if he was acknowledging something "deep" or "emotional" has happened.

I changed my signature back to this as my little way of acknowledging the passing of a great person.

Again, it may sound really silly, but it is the least I can do until something a bit more major is made.

Well this sucks plenty, I never talked to him online or otherwise but his music is/was great. I am similarly listening to his ocremixes right now, it's only appropriate.

Yes, absolutely, I agree with the tribute idea. While it might be more ideal if we had footage of the actual person Reuben Kee for a video or what have you that ISN'T something we really have access to right?

If it was to happen as BGC suggested, with game footage and reviews the words said should make up the bulk of it, with with on black text. It would just bug me to see Ryo punching someone or Snake stabbing someone in the montage. Perhaps for Street Fighter there could just be pans over character/scene artwork. Fortunately the other games are all gorgeous enough to offer an assortment of footage options.

In any case, if someone volunteers to take on the creative aspects for us I will pitch in financially absolutely. A lump sum would not hurt.

Ummm...I'm not really sure what to say. This is a horrible piece of news.

Damn it.

If any kind of gift package is ever compiled for his family, I'd be glad to donate some money.

PS: I checked out some of his anime remixes via the links that were posted here, and for those of you that are into highly expository piano pieces, I'd definitely recommend his Rurouni Kenshin remix. Of course, they're all more or less good. He had an outstanding body of work.