CONFIRMED: OC ReMixer Reuben Kee, 23, killed in boating accident (1984-2007)

Sgt. Fuzzy

This is awful... I never knew him, and I'm not even very familiar with much of his work, but it's just heartbreaking when anyone that's young and has so much potential has to go in such a horrible way. Like many others, I'm going to make it a point to listen to all of his works today. Though this is horrible, I think that events like this go to show how OCR is such a close-knit community where, for the most part, everyone really cares and is concerned for one another.

R.I.P Reuben, you will be sorely missed.

This is terrible.

I don't mean to intrude on your community, as I haven't posted on this site much, but I feel the need to pay respects. I didn't know Reuben at all; his name to me was no more than a bunch of pixels on my screen under Artist for "Chrono Trigger - The Place We Knew". However, the first time I heard that remix, I was stunned; I knew I'd hold onto it as long as I could. And now, after just getting home and checking some forums... It's an awful feeling to see such talent, and such youth, leave us so suddenly. This wasn't supposed to happen, he could have been truly great...

Reuben, rest peacefully.

it might be an idea doing a tribute by arranging his original work.

I think this is a great idea! Count me in.

As for selling them and giving the profit to his family, I think it would be better to just give the mixes to his family, without selling them to anybody. But I think it would be really tacky to sell arrangements of his work.

I'm just now reading this... I don't know what to say. Reuben Kee was one of my favorite artists here, and this...

I'm no good with words on things like this.

'Course I didn't know him personally, but I'll still miss him and his work. Prayers for him and his family. KF

I think this is a great idea! Count me in.

As for selling them and giving the profit to his family, I think it would be better to just give the mixes to his family, without selling them to anybody. But I think it would be really tacky to sell arrangements of his work.

Agreed, sounds like a great tribute, but no selly. I'd pitch in for this.

I'm sure I'll catch shit for this, but why not keep it simple? No "Reuben Roulette", no tribute albums (especially no selling of tribute albums), no overblown "Candle in the Wind"-esque projects.

Instead, find out the address of the Kee family if possible (or perhaps someone who knows where they live... or at least their E-mail address), and write them a sincere letter of condolence in both English and their native tongue if they're not English speaking... one that expresses the sentiments and well wishes of the remixing community. Have as many people sign it as possible (however you wish "sign"-ing to be, whether it's scanned hand writing, or visual images somewhat like the GenDis Christmas card last year), and send it to them. If it can be physically mailed to them, perhaps include a CD of his music on the offhand chance they weren't aware about their son's musical side.

I know his contributions to the remixing world will be missed, but let's not get carried away Ellen-style. Keep it simple, and heart felt :-D

You can commence with the "You insensitive prick" flames now.

I'm sure I'll catch shit for this, but why not keep it simple? No "Reuben Roulette", no tribute albums (especially no selling of tribute albums), no overblown "Candle in the Wind"-esque projects.

Instead, find out the address of the Kee family if possible (or perhaps someone who knows where they live... or at least their E-mail address), and write them a sincere letter of condolence in both English and their native tongue if they're not English speaking... one that expresses the sentiments and well wishes of the remixing community. Have as many people sign it as possible (however you wish "sign"-ing to be, whether it's scanned hand writing, or visual images somewhat like the GenDis Christmas card last year), and send it to them. If it can be physically mailed to them, perhaps include a CD of his music on the offhand chance they weren't aware about their son's musical side.

I know his contributions to the remixing world will be missed, but let's not get carried away Ellen-style. Keep it simple, and heart felt :-D

You can commence with the "You insensitive prick" flames now.

You insensitive prick.

You make a good point, actually.

The Reuben Roulette idea was just something simple to increase awareness, not replace any tribute/letter/statue that might be planned. IMO the roulette would be a little less showy than an official OCR announcement but would still gets people's attention. In the end, it would only help with any other more "heart felt" actions that are taken.

I couldn't believe it when I read it: Reuben Kee is dead. Death is such a sad thing, especially when it's unexpected and accidental. It would be much different if we were all 80 years old and we got used to our loved ones dying, but this is not the case: he was young. He had talent. He had a life filled with music right in front of him, I know it. *cries for two minutes* Words over the internet cannot express the emotions we may be filled with right now, not even emoticons could do justice; not even a thousand ":(" smilies. All I can say is that I miss his talent and I expect every one of us to look over the backs of everyone here. If any of us die, I expect the news to come out, and I promise to do so if I ever do hear of a death and no one has posted it.

Also, I've done a tribute to Reuben Kee. The background song is a remix of his called "Reflections" and it's from a game called Shenmue.

Dear Reuben Kee

Oh, and by "straight face" I meant is as "keeping myself from crying like I have been for the past hour."

The Reuben Roulette idea was just something simple to increase awareness, not replace any tribute/letter/statue that might be planned. IMO the roulette would be a little less showy than an official OCR announcement but would still gets people's attention. In the end, it would only help with any other more "heart felt" actions that are taken.

I don't see anything wrong with a thread bringing his passing to people's attention. Lots of celebrities, musicians, game makers and such that've passed away over the last five-plus years have gotten threads made in memory of them. But "Reuben Roulette" just had a... gimmicky, ring to it (no offense intended whatsoever Harmony, as I know it was a heart felt idea). As such, a thread about his death seems more fitting to me, and it gives people a place to express their thoughts :-)

it is disappointing that there is any sort of argument in this thread about anything at all no matter the relevance - rather than bickering about how you'll pay him tribute, everybody tribute him in your own way and get on with it. arguing amongst yourselves on a thread dedicated to his passing is trite.

please pay your respects with dignity

rest in peace, reuben, it is a tragic loss to the world that someone as multi-talented as you is no longer with us.

in peace