CONFIRMED: OC ReMixer Reuben Kee, 23, killed in boating accident (1984-2007)

Sgt. Fuzzy

Your music helped me cope in some of the worst places on Earth, it helped keep me sane and sound and it brought me home safely. It was inspirational. ...I don't know what to say. I'm happy to have been your friend in the brief time we were able to chat with one another. Thank you so very much for Beauty's Abomination. I can't listen to it without my eyes watering.

I'm crying now. Can you believe it? Our letters were brief, friendly, but you still touched me, man. Beauty's Abomination was amazing. No one ever did something like that for me before. I'm sorry I couldn't ever really repay you. Now that it's too late it would have been nice to get to know you a little better. I guess... life is kinda like that, isn't it?

You put more heart and soul in to what you did than almost anyone I know. And it shows. You gave a lot, even to complete strangers on the other side of the world. You left behind a wonderful legacy... Such wonderful music. You're in my thoughts and in my prayers Reuben. Thank you...

Thank you for everything beautiful you gave to the world.

Your Friend,

Dave

Wow... such a sudden shock. Reuben's music ranks among the best on OC Remix for me, and it is extremely sad to see him pass away in such a fashion.

Also, this piece of news hasn't made any sites such as Digg etc. should we post it, in order to spread his music to those who might not have listened to it? It would be an excellent gesture in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little bit late with this so please forgive me for bumping this thread. It would be expected that a periodical bump would be expected for those who don't visit the site often anymore. Having said that, I would like to express my condolences towards his family and friends for the loss.

• 11 months later...
It isn't usually like me to put in a request like this, but I was browsing the papers today, came across the memorial obituary, and thought we should have an announcement or something, just to remind people of what happened a year ago.

I'd've started the topic myself, but I'm not exactly the best with words... Thanks anyway.

Indeed, today sadly marks the 1st anniversary of the death of long-time OC ReMixer Reuben Kee. Reuben, along with four other Singaporean rowers, lost his life in an unlikely boating accident that made international news.

For anyone who enjoyed Reuben's music, Reuben's family continues to honor his memory by hosting his music as well as his M.U.G.E.N. works at his website, http://www.reubenkee.com/.

Reu was a skilled composer and arranger, and his body of musical work and the accomplishments achieved with them were a testament to a career that was cut down before he reached his prime.

I know had Reuben remained living, he would have continued to create great things. As a music community, we can relate best to understanding whom we lost through his music.

I encourage anyone and everyone who enjoyed Reu's work here to visit the Pathos of his website and download his body of musical work.

Everyone saddened by Reuben's passing can continue to post thoughts on Reu and his work here.

For anyone that wants to specifically and only direct thoughts and condolences to Reu's family, we ask that you please do so at this thread: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13320

I never made a statement regarding his passing before, but Reuben was a great guy and we both enjoyed each other's work very much. I was always very impressed with everything he managed to accomplish in life up to his untimely passing. To his friends and family, as well as his fans, I'm very sorry for your loss, but I have no doubt that Reuben would only want you to be happy and to live what lives you have to the fullest. He certainly did.

In regards to his work, I can only hope others will continue to discover and enjoy his creations for years to come.

Doesn't seem like a year ago that was to me. That boy was my age, about as dead center in the "prime of life" as one can get, though my experience so far doesn't resemble anything like that.

Time is such a bizarre element. It doesn't exist, yet everything we do revolves around it and depends on it. Some are taken, many remain. Some age much quicker like me, others decide to use their youth to better purposes, like Reuben Kee. He was good at what he did, and made this shallow life on a shallow planet worth getting up in the morning. He was a great example as a musician, and a great example as someone who loves to live an otherwise confusing existence.

I really wanted to learn a lot from him - I guess I still could.

Don't get bored up in heaven, Reuben, buddy. We'll join you up there soon.

It's hard to believe its been a year. Even to this day, Reuben's music stands as some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard; he has forever left his mark on the world. His music, and other achievements will stand as testament to his life, which was so tragically cut short.

The Years are in fact moving at the same speed they've always moved, its just that, as we grow up we tend to put our efforts into things we've already been doing as opposed to brand new exciting things like we did when we were young, and we typically space out how long something feels between memories. We don't typically remember all the many nights we spend videogaming and remixing and doing what we've always done.

I'm just saying that so no one (else) gets depressed over the passage of time and takes it to heart.

I haven't posted here in a long while. I know it's been over a year because I just saw this headline (OcRemix is always my homepage), and I never knew about it... I can't believe this. It's amazing how close you can come to a person without ever even meeting them, just through their music. Reuben provided one of many pinnacle points in OcRemix that revived my spirit to keep listening. Seeing this has just stopped me cold in my tracks of carrying out my daily tasks today.

Even though you are gone from this world, I know you've found your way elsewhere. Thanks for everything, you will be missed.

I remember seeing the news a year ago. I was very shocked. I never knew Reuben Kee personally and had only recently started listening to some of his work. It's a shame I didn't get to meet a great musician and person.

Rest well, Reuben. We will all try to keep your legacy alive.

*Plays "The Place We Knew"*

A year already...

This hit hard when I first saw the news. Ascension to Cosmo Canyon is one of the songs that brought me to this site, and everything he composed was amazing.

I think folks here should check out his original work if they haven't already. It's just as good quality, if not better. KF

That's crazy, I can't believe it's been a year... I was just listening to one of his songs today and thought about him... It's such a shame, just by listening to his remixes here on this site, I could tell that he was a talented and passionate individual with a love for his art that had the potential to do extraordinary things with his gift.

I tear up inside every time I listen to one of his songs now because of how great a loss it was to this community. He was probably one of the best pianists to grace this site, and it's a shame that we couldn't have seen more of his work, cause I'm sure it would have been great.

I don't come onto these forums often, but this is one of those occasions that I feel wrong not paying tribute to such a great musician and, from what I understand, a great guy too.

Rest in peace...

I always adored his work, and still listen to a few select pieces with fair regularity. A friend overheard me listening to 'Beauty's Abomination' the other day and expressed interest in obtaining more of the same. However, upon visiting this exquisitely talented musician's Pathos - the same referenced above - we found the entirety of the music downloads to be 'restricted'.

This was an extraordinarily talented young man, and I would dearly love to be able to share his art and pick up the few pieces I myself never sampled. It would be terrible if all those wonderful mixes he did were no longer available, and hopefully that is not the case; if anyone has news on this, I would be deeply appreciative.

And for the man himself, I pray you have found the serenity your works have always inspired each and every time I listen.

Never met him, nor had I head any of his mixes until I saw this topic on the homepage and got curious as to who he was. After listening to his Chrono Trigger mix "The Place We Knew", I realized that I HAD heard his song. I downloaded it a while back and lost it when my pc had to be wiped. Then something kinda ironic happened, well at least I think it was an ironic type of thing. I was listening to my ipod which I had just filled with a bunch of OCremix tracks, including the Chrono symphonic album, and when I was visiting his page out of curisoity,his song was selected to play. My Ipod was on random too, I swear to god, no joking! It's a shame he left us so soon too.....:cry:

R.I.P. Reuben.

I remember the couple of ff7 compositions he posted in the wip forum and said he didn't want to submit them because they were too long. As I listened to them I remember thinking that he was one of my favorite composers and deserved to have them up on the site despite the fact that they were both 8+ minutes long. I really wish I still had those songs too; after a couple HD crashes I've completely lost both of them.

Otherwise, every other song he has up on here, namely Ascension to Cosmo Canyon, are incredibly beautiful and thought provoking.

You will be truly missed, Reuben.

Rest in Peace