OCR00864 - Chrono Cross "Time's New Scar"

DarkCecil13

This piece reminded me how far I have yet to go as a pianist. I can play some tricky pieces, but I certainly cannot yet compose or improvise anything like this piece. The sheer amount of musical variation upon this one theme totally blew me away. I can certainly hear how improv makes more sense than direct composition, especially considering the very "human" feel to the rhythm and tone, but this improv sounds as if created by a master composer.

...sigh...have to keep practicing...

...Oh, yeah. Thanks for such an incredible remix, gutzalpus! Keep it up!:o

Uhm maybe I'm missing something, but this sounded very planned out beforehand, and I still have a hard time buying that this is "live". The sound quality sounds like it's a MIDI piano track. The only thing that supports this is the drag on tempo at the end of some phrases. I'm not saying this is a bad song, it's just not "the greatest" as everyone claims. Still highly recommended.

I'm sure he knew the basic structure of the song before he started, but there's some obvious (and inordinately kickass) improv going on there.

OK, QUICK POLL: how many people picked up their respective instruments and started practicing after hearing this piece?

EDIT: OK, I've figured out the arpeggio accompaniment of the intro. It's played on a guitar, but it's ok for any instrument.

I'll post it if there are any takers. Well? WELL?

It's beautiful. There's nothing like a beautifully-performed piano piece. This epitomizes OC Piano Remixes and really raises the bar for anyone thinking of doing a piano-oriented piece. Melodic, somber, uplifting, the transitions are extreme, yet flawless.

Definitely one of the best.

I find it very interesting that someone thinks this recording sounds like midi. If anyone knows of a midi device/keyboard that sounds this much like a real piano, please let me know where to find it :)

(this was recorded on a young chang grand piano)

Also, I did obviously know what the structure was going to be before doing it...however, if I were to record it again it definitely would sound very different each time

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to have it transcribed, and would love a copy of the music if this actually happens.

I do have a few other remixes. However, the performances are somewhat flawed in a couple of places, so I have been hesitant to submit them to the OC Remix site. You can download them here if interested - and please let me know what you think. My favorite is the Radical Dreamers one. Despite one hugely glaring error in the performance I think it is the most creative and the most passionate of all my remixes.

http://joek.org:81/music/piano%20session%20072902/02%20-%20Chrono%20Cross%20-%20Leaving%20the%20Body.mp3

http://joek.org:81/music/piano%20session%20072902/04%20-%20Chrono%20Cross%20-%20Dream%20of%20the%20Shore%20Bordering%20Another%20World.mp3

http://joek.org:81/music/piano%20session%20072902/05%20-%20Chrono%20Cross%20-%20Radical%20Dreamers.mp3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00864 - Chrono Cross "Time's New Scar"