HELP!!! Would like to persue a career in creating and recording music

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Well I would give anything, except for my manhood, to be successful in a career developing music. Preferably for video games. I have just recently discovered this about myself and am trying all I can to get to where I need. But I don't know where to get started. I am high school senior and would very very much appreciate it if any one could give me any pointers of references to learn more.

Also I don't know how to play the piano :( , but in a desperate attempt to teach myself.

Thanks Again

8D

Well I would give anything, except for my manhood, to be successful in a career developing music.

Sad to say it, but if you aren't willing to sacrifice everything for your dreams, then there's no way you'll ever achieve your goals. Best stick to the warm, comforting glow of the fluorescent lights hanging over the burger station at your local McDonald's.

Incidentally, castrati were big time stars in the 1700s, so I don't see why chopping off the manparts would do anything but help you get a career in music.

Make music fun first, make music money second.

That's the most poignant advice I think I can give at this point in time. There's so many things that can go right and so many things that can go wrong that nobody can realistically tell you that you'll have a successful music career. That's not to say that you can't still write tunes and have a blast doing it and go "holy shit I made this," but even if you're a broke musician you're still a musician, and there are always other things you can do.

My advice got kind of depressing there didn't it? Though, I'm not saying that you'll fail. Give your dream a shot. You're still young and have plenty of opportunities, best thing to do is just try the music thing and see how that goes.

Don't do it. Video game music is getting swamped by people who can't find ways to monetize their current careers and it's very much about connections.

Get a teacher for piano; it'll do you more good than trying to teach yourself (wrongly). Pick up music as a hobby and get a career that has actual demand (and a future).

Look, if it's really your dream, go for it. I was lucky enough that I had two things that I loved doing: programming and music. Programming pays better (even despite outsourcing!), so that became my career and music became a hobby.

Basically unless you are extremely lucky (talent alone doesn't seem to do it), music in general sucks as a career. But if you're truly passionate about it, I think it can be worth it -- you'll just have to slog through the odd jobs, the bullshit networking (like Yoozer said getting game industry positions is about connections), and the competition.

well, the obvious starting points.

you can go to a college/tech school that specializes in creative career skills. think full sail, art institute, and others like those.

you can take college courses that help develop those skills. i personally took some community college courses like "audio and media" and a couple others that i forgot the course names for (of course, all the skills i learned are now outdated- i can cut and splice 1/4" tape like a ninja master...)

you can also try to intern at a music studio. get your foot in the door. offer to do all their errands if you can sit in on sesssions.

you have to make it a priority and put in a lot of hard work. don't sacrifice EVERYTHING, but you really have to be driven.

maybe pick a good job and use music as a hobby. Lots of people have done that. Alfred Hitchcock (movies) and Herbie Hancock (Jazz Musician) started off in engineering. Maybe you could go be a music teacher at some school (might be annoying - I don't know). Definitely dedicated as much time as you can to music while having a backup plan.

I play piano, and I am still struggling because my second year I had to be self taught. I also am pursuing music and am a senior in high school. I'm going to Bob Jones University. Major - Piano Pedagogy. Minor - Business admin. I'm going to open a music store in Michigan, and sell sheet music and instruments. I might also have some OCR albums for sale...:razz: I'm also taking voice lessons. also computer classes. And some classical organ lessons. is this pretty good preparation?:lol:

I'm going to open a music store in Michigan, and sell sheet music and instruments.

And you're not going to be totally killed off by Sam Ash, Zzounds, Guitar Center and Musicians Friend how exactly?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but music gear doesn't have insane markups :(.

And you're not going to be totally killed off by Sam Ash, Zzounds, Guitar Center and Musicians Friend how exactly?

By scamming ignorant people using questionable sales tactics like listing the MSRP as the actual price, but pretending to "cut them a deal" just because you're in such a fucking nice mood today. That's how most local music stores do it :P

All any music store has to do around here to stay open is be located in a convenient location and charge reasonable prices. The closest Guitar Center to the U. Maryland campus is not easily accessible to most students (esp those without cars), and the other music stores either have an extremely limited selection or extremely ridiculous prices. I'm talking above MSRP :whatevaa: