Inquiry Regarding the Final Fantasy games available for GBA/DS

supremespleen

If you had to pick only one, FF6 is the best IMO - it has the strongest plot, the most character development, the best graphics, the best music, etc. The combat system is very fluid.

FF IV comes next in terms of story. It's far more linear throughout, though they improved the amount of sidequests and extra things you can do in the GBA version. That said, the story is definitely not as deep as FF6 no matter how you slice it, nor are the graphics as good.

FFV arguably has the deepest system of customization with the job system, but the story is not particularly strong, and the graphics are not an improvement over FFIV. Lots of gameplay though.

FFI&II are interesting. Neither have very complex gameplay, but the graphics and music are fairly good, and combat is fluid. They both feel more like FF6 in terms of overall presentation, which is a good thing. However, given that they're NES games, story is weak (moreso in FF1 than FF2) and gameplay could be deeper... still fun though.

Def do not play the GBA version of FFIV. They changed part of the game and ruined one of the major aspects of the original plot. There is a DS remake of FFIV coming out where they are going to add back a HUGE amount of the script and plot that was left out of the original version.

In the meantime you really can't go wrong with FF6. Out of all the DS/GBA FF games it def stands above the rest as of now.

Def do not play the GBA version of FFIV. They changed part of the game and ruined one of the major aspects of the original plot. There is a DS remake of FFIV coming out where they are going to add back a HUGE amount of the script and plot that was left out of the original version.

In the meantime you really can't go wrong with FF6. Out of all the DS/GBA FF games it def stands above the rest as of now.

What did they leave out in FFIV GBA...? I have the original SNES cart and the GBA ver, I don't recall any plot points changing.

I will agree with zircon. FFV and VI are probably your best bets for early FF games. Those are particularly the cream of the crop. I am playing through FFV right now, but the weak plot doesn't really motivate me to delve any more into the game. I started FFVI on PS with my friend, just doing a whole run through. The music in VI is hands down better than the other FF games I've played.

But yeah.. what is wrong with IV? I was going to get that over V.

What did they leave out in FFIV GBA...? I have the original SNES cart and the GBA ver, I don't recall any plot points changing.

Here's some of them:

(The part about question 1 is the part that kills the plot and feel of the game the most. It might be more of an indirect change but it completely changes the flow of the story that the game had established up to that point.)

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz2277461a138f8.html

I'm not really a Final Fantasy game d00d. I'm, for the most part, unfamiliar with the series. Only FF game I've played is FFT:A. Out of the Final Fantasy games available for GBA and DS, what are the best? I'm leaning towards 3, that one looks pretty sweet.

Thanks.

I don't believe there's a "bad" FF game on the DS or GBA. Chances are, you'll enjoy the GBA/DS remakes/ports of 1-6 (though folks who grew up with the original SNES carts might differ on that). None of them got low marks, so you're likely safe. And since up until recently, Square-Enix didn't make sequels to the FF series, you don't have to worry about playing them in order unless you want to.

Here's some of them:

(The part about question 1 is the part that kills the plot and feel of the game the most. It might be more of an indirect change but it completely changes the flow of the story that the game had established up to that point.)

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz2277461a138f8.html

I honestly think that these things were added to make things more interesting for veteran players. And let's face it, the majority of people playing this game already experienced it before. New content to keep things fresh.

FAVORITES THREAD!!

FF6 for the win. The massive win. It has everything going for it. The music is probably better than any other in the series (where's our FF6 project?), the characters are more human and believable, and the whole turn around about three-quarters of the way through was a nice change from the usual.

Only Chrono Trigger can share it's place on my list of games. It's a short, concise list. Well, more like a flow chart, but it's at the top with only one other game.

brad you are not helping ONE BIT

SHUT UP

no, seriously, VI is SO much fun to play. my biggest issue was a glitch in the PS1 port of the game where you can technically have five party members besides your guest in your party at any one time, which gets screwed up when the game maps a bunch of sprites on your last location preventing NPCs from completing a cutscene. it was wierd, but the game itself is so cool to play, it's got a great storyline, it's got the best soundtrack of all of the ff games besides maybe seven and twelve (personal opinion, don't trash me), and it's got the best combination of graphics and gameplay for the pre-ps games.

Final Fantasy VI is your best bet. It really doesn't have any weak points. Final Fantasy 1 can be fun too, as long as you don't expect it to knock your socks off.

yeah the storyline/dialogue for FF6 is as solid as Chrono Trigger. I've yet to see a newer RPG that rivals them. Oh god...please don't ever play Tales of the Abyss...the story goes stagnant halfway into it...and c'mon the *spoiler alert* "Sephiroth Trees??" WTF blatant rip-off *sirens sounding*.

Mind you, for Castelvania Lament of Innocence, one of the characters is named Rinaldo Gandolfi...so iono...modern games ftl

Yes, because the name Sephiroth can't be used anywhere else.

Have you ever at least taken an effort to google what Sephiroth means?

Sephiroth (Hebrew, Jewish). The ten emanations of Deity; the highest is formed by the concentration of the Ain Soph Aur, or the Limitless Light, and each: Sephira produces by emanation another Sephira.

The names of the Ten Sephiroth are -

1. Kether - The Crown;

2. Chokmah - Wisdom;

3. Binah - Understanding;

4. Chesed- - Mercy;

5. Geburah - Power;

6. Tiphereth - Beauty;

7. Netzach - Victory;

8. Hod - Splendour;

9. Jesod_Foundation; and

10. Malkuth - The Kingdom.

The conception of Deity embodied in the Ten Sephiroth is a very sublime one, and each Sephira is a picture to the Kabbalist of a group of exalted ideas, titles and attributes, which the name but faintly represents. Each Sephira is called either active or passive, though this attribution may lead to error; passive does not mean a return to negative existence; and the two words only express the relation between individual Sephiroth, and not any absolute quality.

So ya, that kind of screws your "theory" of it being ripped off..

Plus, Tales of the Abyss is a beautiful game. It takes everything good from Tales of Symphonia and totally improves on them.

yeah the storyline/dialogue for FF6 is as solid as Chrono Trigger. I've yet to see a newer RPG that rivals them. Oh god...please don't ever play Tales of the Abyss...the story goes stagnant halfway into it...and c'mon the *spoiler alert* "Sephiroth Trees??" WTF blatant rip-off *sirens sounding*.

Mind you, for Castelvania Lament of Innocence, one of the characters is named Rinaldo Gandolfi...so iono...modern games ftl

Wait, how did LoI come into this?? Which is a fine game, btw, thank you very much.