Circumstantial Zen - NEW ALBUM RELEASE!

zykO

i got on a good roll and ripped out the finishing touches to get it out the lab. i'm shocked that the album took as much as a year when i usually will have an album wrapped up in a month or two at most. but thanking a several-monthes-long computer failure for forcing me to take a longer time assessing the material isn't so farfetched cuz it appears to have done the trick.

in spite of all that time dedicated to editing and revision, i still left in there a hefty, solid amount of errors and funky, unorthodox production to keep it as zyko as possible. so, definitely expect the usual untuned guitars, boring drums, overbearing bass, weird vocals, and general chaos

=)

Circumstantial Zen

1. Something wicked…

2. I must Believe

3. Everything you’d Expect of a Hero

4. Something about Laughter

5. Remember me?

6. Patience in Love

7. Some kind of Luck

8. The Dangerous Things

9. Lady in Dreams

10. My last goodbye to You

11. Dreaming of Time Travel (is a dangerous thing)

12. … this way comes

or:

http://www.zykomazika.com/zykO%20-%20Ci … %20Zen.rar

dig it.

Damn, this is certainly some interesting and creative stuff. I like the vocals, up until now I'd only been familiar with the vox you did for "Invertebrate Retreat" and "Niggaz 4 Life" but these are completely different and equally great as well.

If I had to pick a favorite track off this album, it would easily be "The Dangerous Things". The acoustic is great, and your singing really shines here IMO. Honorable mentions would have to go to "Everything You'd Expect of a Hero" and " ... this way comes".

Overall, though, this is a very cool album and it certainly doesn't sound like the typical techno/trance/electronic that you mostly hear 'round these parts.

This is something very different, and I mean that in a good way.

of the several vocal (not rap) tracks done by vgmixers that i've heard, there is a common sounding voice, a sort of computer nerd voice. i mean you know how to use your voice and hit the notes, but the physical construction of your vocal chords sounds computer geek to me. it's just something i've been hearing from others as well.

other than that the music's cool, sounds like linkin park electronica.

of the several vocal (not rap) tracks done by vgmixers that i've heard, there is a common sounding voice, a sort of computer nerd voice. i mean you know how to use your voice and hit the notes, but the physical construction of your vocal chords sounds computer geek to me. it's just something i've been hearing from others as well.

other than that the music's cool, sounds like linkin park electronica.

you're an idiot.

has it occurred to you that, perhaps, you have a pre-disposed expectation that vocal music found at this site would sound "computer geekish" and, as a result, you'll hear that regardless of what it is you're actually hearing?

seeing as how i'm niether a computer nerd nor do i sound like one, i think this is a textbook case of "DURR." the physical construction of your vocal chords has very little to do with your personal, hobbyist interests be it playing videogames or beating in the faces of morons like yourself =). what you are referring to (or at least trying) is the lack of confidence that an amateur singer (who might also be socially undercooked) has when recording their voice for the first few times. what you hear around here and vgmix are young men and women who are exploring their musical horizons, including their voice, and out of a lack of confidence in their ability to sing, hold back and hence, give you the "computer geek" sound.

so in the UNLIKELY event that you are actually suggesting that i have a lack of confidence in my ability to sing (or a lack of confidence in just about anything, honestly), i think you are suffering from a serious case of mistaken assessment.

however, if by geek you mean that i trump you in IQ, possess a cock and sack of balls twice the size of yours and can very well beat your ass in just about anything, then sure, brother... i'm a geek.

by all means.

i hope we're clear.

=)

p.s.

also... linkin park electronica? are you fuckin serious? hahahahahahahaha

p.s.s.

thank you all for your kind words and comments. what's next in the pipeline makes Circumstantial Zen look like child's play.

Sup, Z?

Haven't heard the whole thing yet, but so far, man, it sounds like solid Zyko--some of the best I've heard from you--and your voice is sounding great!

brother, it has been a long time!

how goes it?

much thanks, by and by. did you, by chance, catch a glimpse of the previous album, Perspektiv? if not, let me know and i'll make it available for you

you are clearly confident in your voice. i just mean the tone, it resembles the tone of voices that i've heard incidentally only from some people who are involved in the vgmix community, like the voice i've heard some of my computer geek friends have. i'm a geek myself but my voice isn't even as good as yours, i was just trying to offer some criticism. i thought it'd sound better with someone with a more unique voice to match the uniqueness of your tunes.

you just assumed that i associate forumposters with a geek voice?

the reference to linkin park electronica was in response to the track "i must believe". it just resembles the style of their rock music, compositionally. also the straightforward optimistic lyrics.

also since i'm an idiot why do you reply?

brother, it has been a long time!

how goes it?

much thanks, by and by. did you, by chance, catch a glimpse of the previous album, Perspektiv? if not, let me know and i'll make it available for you

No, man, I've been crazy busy at school, I missed it :( (Especially if you're updating via myspace, I haven't been on myspace for like 6 months)

Regarding your voice: You've come a long way in exploring the timbres you can create/manipulate, man, the only thing I would recommend is to not neglect your falsetto, man, it'll give the structural shape of your vocal lines so much more room. Also, working that falsetto, while easy to neglect, actually works out your lower voice at the same time--it's good stuff all around, bro. You hit that falsetto nicely when singing softly, but you rarely touch it with the big heavy hitting lines and you can develop power behind it, though it's not easy, and some of the rockinest rockers ever had really strong falsettos.

To Monkeybrain:

The implication that there is a correlation between the physical construction of someone's resonating vocal chambers and their personal interests is absurd--and most definitely idiocy. Unless, of course, their personal interests include home surgery or some shit like that. Additionally, you should know that a person's speaking voice, while holding clues to that person's vocal range, is not clearly indicative of their vocal range because our spoken tones are determined by social acceptability, not physicality.

I am by no means an expert at singing, however, I have studied voice for 3 years at the university level and I can tell you that Zyko's vocal quality is just that: Quality.

What you're typically hearing from him, I imagine, is a resonance focused primarily behind his front teeth. This is not uncommon for people who teach themselves how to sing because this resonance is nearer to how people speak in most parts of the US. But Zyko has developed his voice wonderfully. He's mastered a tonal range that fits well with his musical flavors and is wholly Zyko.

So we shouldn't have any more of this geek voice bull shit lest I break out my AKG C1000, I who builds computers.

dan - well shit, man, you've convinced ME

hahaha

well, madbrain, there you have it. don't worry, though, i love idiots and non-idiots alike so no love lost, geek brother. i think i might have just been a little put off by my being a computer nerd, apparently... and sounding like one, even!

but please don't spin this with the old "you can't take criticism" routine as i doubt i know anybody that has incurred more. if anything, i am known for my belligerently unorthodox musik

by the way, dan, i re-uploaded Perspektiv for you

http://www.zykomazika.com/Perspektiv.htm

• 1 month later...
only possibly my biggest influence =)

my band, Strut, used to cover a lot of sublime songs...

You have a very unique voice, the closest thing I can pin it to is maybe the singer from Muse. Your vocals in I must believe immediately reminded me of the song "Shrinking Universe".

What vocal range are you able to achieve?

• 1 month later...

Hello, my friends...

Here are a couple of B-sides from the album

One of the tracks, Malfunktion, was initially intended for a 3rd Zombo album. unfortunately, the album is no longer in the immediate work queue as i am invested in a couple of other more pressing album projects. regardless, Malfunktion wasn't going to wait that long so it instead joined a select group of about five songs that i loosely refer to as the Circumstantial Zen B Sides

Malfunktion

the other track is actually a remix of the first track released off the album, I Must Believe, done in a more upbeat, groovy flavor. i personally prefer this new version over the original version as i don't think i quite accomplished what i had sought out to do. they intend to do two completely different things =)

I Must Believe (strength of will remiX)

dig it =)

You have a very unique voice, the closest thing I can pin it to is maybe the singer from Muse. Your vocals in I must believe immediately reminded me of the song "Shrinking Universe".

What vocal range are you able to achieve?

hehe

you know, i've been told that a few times but i've never listened to Muse more than on a topical level. i've been meaning to give them a better listen...

to be perfectly, honest, i don't know what my vocal range is... i don't pay attention to most of what i do so who knows :) i'll get back to you on that