Rock/metal bands with female lead vocalists- recommendations?

Culturekoi

TENSEI SAN! I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! DO YOU HEAR ME?! NEVAAAAR! AAAAARRRRRGGGHH! Hahaha. I agree whole-heartedly with everyone who said Arch Enemy. Melodic, fast, heavy and highly technical to boot. I'm glad you checked it out. And I can't BELIEVE sotSS knew about Shadow! Amazing.

But I've got one that NOBODY's ever heard of. Their from Okinawa and they're called Tai'a. It means "Great Raven" (or "Big Crow" if you will) and it's got a great vocalist named Seika who writes all of her songs after her own experiences in love, of which she has MANY. It's all Japanese right now, but get this, they're working on an English Demo CD yo! I'll give you just one guess as to who's translating their songs. ^_^

It's metal, but it's got a lot of keyboard action going on as well which gives it a pop-like feel. There are lots of songs that I'd like to suggest, but for now you can check out a few at Youtube.

I really like Praise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2vmSpAcRFA&feature=related

And here's a sample of the song Prayer which is a favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7vX-j4fVlQ&feature=related

And if you've got a myspace account you can check them out here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1000388632

Hey, so I was just thinking I have about no artists with female vocalists in my music collection (save for a few from here at OCR and a couple Tsunami Bomb songs).

I met Tsunami Bomb back when I was about 16 or 17. They kept bumming cigarettes off of me. That's back when they were on Hunter's (from AFI) label. They were a good band.

Well, if you're looking for an awesome power metal band, listen to Dark Moor. They have a guy singer now, but check out their older stuff, especially their best album, Gates of Oblivion. It's sublime power metal. Catchy, hard-hitting, and rarely cheesy. The singer, Elisa, has an amazing voice and range. Only a woman with that extra girth can sing like that.

My favorite female vocalist is Cyndi Lauper. I think it will remain that way for a long time.

Holy shit, I just went to youtube and saw a vid of Arch Enemy. Jesus, if I'd heard that without a video and the knowledge the singer was a woman, I would have never believed it.

Her vocals are processed to hell and back. I've heard she uses pitch alteration on her voice, and although I'm not sure how true that is, I'm fairly certain she does.

MAN has there been a response to this question... I'm impressed, and a lot of these are great! I can't reply to everyone individually but I wanna let y'all know it's very appreciated, and I've been making an active effort to locate songs by many of these bands. A few quickie responses:

Aninymouse: Your list of artists was epic-cool and I plan to check out all of those that I haven't heard very soon. I appreciate the huge-tastic list!

All the people who've said Nightwish and Within Temptation (and the other Symphonic metal bands): As much as Symphonic has it's place (and it does!) it's not quite what I'm after, y'know what I mean? Not really into the, I guess.... Operatic-sounding singing. I've listened to the symphonic genre a few times (and even listened to several Within Temptation songs extensively after a friend recommended to me) and really, that kinda stuff always makes me think of Evanescence and, well, if you like that stuff, I'll bet you'd like Symphonic. But it's not really my thang. I appreciate it though, I do.

Danimal Cannon: I think I like them Drain STH from their description alone (Alice in Chains with hawt swedes? Do want!) I'll be sure I take a test-listen before I go out and buy every album of theirs I can locate, but it seems worth a shot (since I like me my Alice in Chains).

CHIPP: if I'm able to find Tai'a outside of youtube, they might become one of my new faves, but they are HELLA hard to locate, either free OR albums. Might just have to enjoy what I can find in vids. :/ At least for now. Thanks big time, though. Awesome stuff.

IBBIAZ: Hmm, ya really think? Maybe.

I'm not sure if that vid could tell anything in particular since it's possible that kinda stuff could be processed too, so I dunno. Are you just basing that on your own hearing her or is it stated by some reliable source that she does?

Arch Enemy is still rocking ass, and many of the really good bands are tough to locate. Why is it that people just refuse to listen to good music and continue to plug their ears going "la la la CRAAAAAAAAAWLING"? Well, whatever, it's their loss for not actively seeking it...

Thanks again everybody :) My music folder is becoming larger and larger by the post!

They're broken up.

Nobody has mentioned Nightwish have they? Oh wait they did in every post, even when the first post said he wasn't looking for Nightwish.

lol.

My reading comprehension in the wee hours tends to behave like Luigi's Green Missile... 12.5% of the time it spontaneously misfires :razz:

Glad some people liked a few of my suggestions, though. I wasn't sure what to expect since I was throwing out some artists who didn't really match what you asked for.

To that end, check out the Finnish band, Nightwish. ...

And Angelus Laminarum wins the prize for first poster who didn't bother to read the original post and has fallen in line with all the other Nightwish fans in telling anyone looking for a female vocalist to check out Nightwish.

Great job, smile for the cameras.

Wintermute and Danimal, I appreciate the outrage on my behalf, really. But it's ok, just take a deep breath and remember- it's the internets, and serious business though they may be, well, it really doesn't matter.

But a note for anyone who posts from this point on:

No more Nightwish, PLZ.

There we go, this should alleviate further people who didn't care to comprehend the OP. Thank you again, everyone.

Oh, and Aninymouse, I don't know why I found it so funny, but I fuckin' rofl'd for a solid minute or two at the comment about the Luigi missile thing. Thank you for that, too.

Haha, nice, OA. :D

All the people who've said Nightwish and Within Temptation (and the other Symphonic metal bands): As much as Symphonic has it's place (and it does!) it's not quite what I'm after, y'know what I mean? Not really into the, I guess.... Operatic-sounding singing. I've listened to the symphonic genre a few times (and even listened to several Within Temptation songs extensively after a friend recommended to me) and really, that kinda stuff always makes me think of Evanescence and, well, if you like that stuff, I'll bet you'd like Symphonic. But it's not really my thang. I appreciate it though, I do.

But that disqualifies 90% of Bahamut's playlist! :lol:

In all seriousness though, I recommend Tokyo Jihen. They're not strictly rock (and most definitely not metal), but I think you'd like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgDis2SBC8

I have to warn you though, this video is in no way representative of the band's style (trust me when I say it would be impossible to narrow them down to one or two genres). So if you liked it, check out their other stuff. If you didn't like it...check out their other stuff. :P

If after that you're feeling especially adventurous, you might consider looking at Shiina Ringo's solo work. It could be well worth it.

Her vocals are processed to hell and back. I've heard she uses pitch alteration on her voice, and although I'm not sure how true that is, I'm fairly certain she does.

I really don't think Gossow does. It's nearly impossible, I've heard, to process death vocals, so that's purely vocalist talent there.