Rock/metal bands with female lead vocalists- recommendations?

Culturekoi

I don't consider metal to even be music. It's something else. Noise of some sort. The artists have no musical talent at all.

Just a morbid genre in my opinion.

Metal is music. It takes great skill to shred riff after riff. Listen to the dearly departed Dimebag Darrel, or Zakk Wylde. Calling metal noise is an invitation become the target of multiple flames.

You have a right to an opinion, but you really need to be more responsible with it. Also, saying that the artists in question have no musical talent implies that you've not sat down and read anything about the artists themselves. On top of that, you don't seem to want to even give it a chance.

You are such a n00b.

guys metal sucks

and so does hiphop

also who cares about ska

vg music is the only good music!!

^That was poetic.

And, I know these are both probably too soft, but I rather like A Fine Frenzy (piano-indie-pop?) and Vedera (alternative? maybe? used to be called Veda). As you can tell, I suck with genres. And I'll second the Flyleaf thing, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urlBWBloWuE&feature=related

I don't know man. Listening Alanis Morissette's Ironic makes me want to punch her in the face. Hahaha. It seems like anyone who likes rock ought to have at least a couple metal bands that they can like. Perhaps the death vocal type metal bands are just not for you. Have you ever listened to Blind Guardian? You might like something like Nightfall by them. I recommend that. One of the things that's supposed to be an appeal of Heavy Metal is the speed and technique of the guitars and drums. So lots of guitarists like metal. Rock has a lot of fast solos too, but then during the vocals the guitars usually back off and play chords. In metal the guitars sometimes continue to be the "main" part even when vocals are present. Arch Enemy songs are sometimes so.

Some areas of metal seem to stress clean vocals heavily, most notably heavy, progressive, and power metal, genres I have a particular love for because you can do more with clean vocals acceptably than without them (although I will listen to thrash & death metal on occasion). Power & progressive metal are more technical than the other genres, and focus on song concept more than what is found in most other genres across the board since metal fans have some of the most contentious standards for music in general out there.

To Azul though, better examples of metal IMO (at least, the generally more popular subgenres of metal) are

(Angra - Nova Era),
(Kamelot - Memento Mori), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVQP108eM4 (Dream Theater - Under a Glass Moon), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw77gNrwyr8 (Symphony X - The Odyssey; this is only largely the first 9 minutes of the song - the original song is ~24 minutes long, and unlike most that long, it is a memorable song).

Ah yes Symphony X, I have a thing for long songs and they seem to do it well. Besides The Odyssey there is one of their older songs The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, it has a similar vibe to it. At about 4:10 it has a theme that reminds me of Secret Of Mana's forest music ;), I can really appreciate the talent and technical ability of this band.

As far as a female vocalist in a rock/metal band goes I'd recommend Stream Of Passion http://www.streamofpassion.com, I think they're a gothic,symphonic metal band. They're not so heavy but I find it very soothing :), they used to have a female lead guitarist Lori Linstruth, also Arjen A. Lucassen from Aveyond who has had many many guest vocalists (such as James LaBrie and Bruce Dickinson just to name a few ;) ).

As I can see there are quite a few people who are into Arch Enemy =D, I can say they are definitely not what some of you people call "noise", have you heard some of their melodic material? I can easily say that material like that isn't noise, rather tasteful stuff.

I've only joined up here recently but thanks to OCReMix I have came to experience/appreciate the many genres of music which I would have never of expected listening to :).

Here are some recommendations...

Within Temptation ~ Symphonic Metal

Lacuna Coil ~ Symphonic Metal, for the most part.

Krypteria ~ Symphonic Metal

Beautiful Sin ~ Power Metal

Edenbridge ~ Symphonic Metal with a lot of Neo-classical overtones

Xandria ~ Symphonic Metal / Rock

Evanesence

and of course, Nightwish, but you mentioned you've heard them already.

Inkubus Sukkubus (Pagan Rock) if you're... uh... feeling adventurous.

lol, I love sweeping generalizations. All you had to do was put the word 'some' in between the words 'consider' and 'metal' and you could have gotten away with that statement.

Yeah, I was careful to leave that word out. I've ascertained that it all sucks. Unequivocally.

None of you get an opinion, cause if you like metal; it's dissolved your brain.

Go OCR!

Gathered from what I have read, if you hate metal you hate it, some people seem to take it further to try and get their point across while lacking in diversity and open mindedness. But I'm not one to criticise other genres, I actually appreciate a lot of music but I do have my limits.

I'm glad the ReMixes have not been categorised, it has continued to help me develop a more open mind, hearing stuff I never thought I would have heard before (and appreciate ;)).

But if you people hate metal that's ok, of course it isn't for everybody and not for the faint of heart.

Here are some recommendations...

Lacuna Coil ~ Symphonic Metal, a bit edgier than WT

Lacuna Coil is far from symphonic - they're a goth metal band, although from what I hear, their last album is terrible and moved away from metal & showed that they didn't really care about their music anymore.

Gathered from what I have read, if you hate metal you hate it, some people seem to take it further to try and get their point across while lacking in diversity and open mindedness.

Most people who hate metal are close minded, or they associate metal with just death & black metal and such, and know nothing about progressive & power metal.

I'm not close minded. But I can say without a doubt that I hate anything like what I saw in that video - relentless, undiscerning screaming of the lungs as the main musical instrument that sounds like someone who has had a little too much drugs burping a song as loud as they possibly can.

If you can call it 'metal', I like some Devin Townsend stuff when he isn't screaming. And Black Sabbath, but I consider that classic rock more than metal.

If you are talking like Powerman 5000, I'd just consider that heavy rock. And no I don't listen to Powerman 5000.

Lacuna Coil is far from symphonic - they're a goth metal band, although from what I hear, their last album is terrible and moved away from metal & showed that they didn't really care about their music anymore.

Um. Goth metal is really a misnomer, as it's so similar to symphonic metal there is practically no difference. And their new album, while not as good as Comalies, is still very good. I knew I shouldn't have tried to classify the genres on each of my suggestions...

I admit that I have a bias towards it, and even know why. I've been on the job site several times when some crazy kid covered in tattoos comes along and cranks is radio up as loud as it can go playing metal. People shrilling and screaming as hard as they can for hours coupled with pernicious guitar lines. Then they walk around the job holding their eyes really wide open like they've been doing ecstasy.

It was awful, and it isn't music. It was sonic know doubt, but it certainly isn't music. It felt like someone was splitting my head open. I've never heard any metal that I liked. Maybe metal makes people too open minded, almost like; so open someone reached in and snatched part of their brain.

To counter, let me say this: When it comes to music I don't think anyone who enjoys music from OCR should be deemed close minded.

I admit that I have a bias towards it, and even know why. I've been on the job site several times when some crazy kid covered in tattoos comes along and cranks is radio up as loud as it can go playing metal. People shrilling and screaming as hard as they can for hours coupled with pernicious guitar lines. Then they walk around the job holding their eyes really wide open like they've been doing ecstasy.

It was awful, and it isn't music. It was sonic know doubt, but it certainly isn't music. It felt like someone was splitting my head open. I've never heard any metal that I liked. Maybe metal makes people too open minded, almost like; so open someone reached in and snatched part of their brain.

Not all metal is like that. What you're describing sounds like hardcore or death metal.

This is considered metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKf1gTx7qM

and this as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGszdHVb2UY *

* extremely cheesy video but it makes me smile :)

To counter, let me say this: When it comes to music I don't think anyone who enjoys music from OCR should be deemed close minded.

What about the people who submit metal music to OCR?

I'm just gonna say you don't know what you're talking about. Also, since you're the furthest thing from an authority on the subject, your opinions are void and baseless.

Carry on.

Not all metal is like that. What you're describing sounds like hardcore or death metal.

This is considered metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKf1gTx7qM

and this as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGszdHVb2UY *

* extremely cheesy video but it makes me smile :)

If that is truly metal then I would have to stand corrected.

Incidentally my older brother really enjoys both of those artists. And they don't bother me either, though neither of those songs would ever end up on my mp3 player. I've never considered that to be metal.

I've voiced my opinion. Ok, I'll shut up now.

To Azul though, better examples of metal IMO (at least, the generally more popular subgenres of metal) are
(Angra - Nova Era),
(Kamelot - Memento Mori), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVQP108eM4 (Dream Theater - Under a Glass Moon), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw77gNrwyr8 (Symphony X - The Odyssey; this is only largely the first 9 minutes of the song - the original song is ~24 minutes long, and unlike most that long, it is a memorable song).

Just to requote to show some of the diversity found in metal that some seemed to miss.

Um. Goth metal is really a misnomer, as it's so similar to symphonic metal there is practically no difference. And their new album, while not as good as Comalies, is still very good. I knew I shouldn't have tried to classify the genres on each of my suggestions...

No, there is no such thing as symphonic metal - symphonic is a particular classification within subgenres, but it isn't a subgenre in itself. Gothic metal refers to the gothic sound that these bands try to recreate, although the genre has changed much since then. For an example of a band that isn't symphonic but that most certainly fits the gothic metal genre, one is Paradise Lost, or if I remember right, Moonspell. Or The Gathering (a goth metal band that uses female vocals and is another suggestion most seemed to have missed).

No, there is no such thing as symphonic metal - symphonic is a particular classification within subgenres, but it isn't a subgenre in itself. Gothic metal refers to the gothic sound that these bands try to recreate. For an example of a band that isn't symphonic but that most certainly fits the gothic metal genre, one is Paradise Lost, or if I remember right, Moonsorrow.

Moonsorrow is technically classified as viking metal, but has deep roots in folk metal and pagan metal as well. Not goth metal at all.

And I disagree about symphonic metal being solely a classification within subgenres; while it definitely is a classification as you said, it is also a genre of metal in its own right.

Moonsorrow is technically classified as viking metal, but has deep roots in folk metal and pagan metal as well. Not goth metal at all.

And I disagree about symphonic metal being solely a classification within subgenres; while it definitely is a classification as you said, it is also a genre of metal in its own right.

I made a mistake - I meant Moonspell. But goth metal got its start from Paradise Lost, and that band is far from symphonic. In addition, "symphonic metal" makes no sense as a genre. For example, take Within Temptation & Rhapsody - those bands are considered symphonic goth metal & symphonic power metal, respectively, but the structure of the songs that each make are far different, with Within Temptation has a strong focus on the gothic elements, while Rhapsody makes extensive use of elements in its songwriting that would definitively make it fall under power metal. The symphonic label is far too broad with no real good definition as a subgenre - there's no credibility to labeling a band just that, because the symphonic label does not give any definition to the style of music, which genre definitions are supposed to do.

I admit that I have a bias towards it,

Your opinion on the matter died there. Also, not all metal is just screaming, then again After reading your post I have to wonder what you do consider music? Are you one of those kids constantly extolling the virtues of all things asian to his friends? COnstantly yammering on and on about J-pop? Do you listen to the recycled and often low talent american pop? Rap? or are you one of those people who insists that only music written by the old masters of the classical age to be music? Are you that guy who only listens to techno? Your obviously not the kid who worships avenged sevenfold and does nothing but talk about how they(or anyother similar band) are better then everything...

There are so many genres and subgenres it makes my head spin, which then causes a lot of debate with what genre a band really is. One band for example could be a mixture of Punk, Hardcore and J-pop, for artists with a different sound or those who cover a wide variety of genres shouldn't be called like 50 different genres but instead their main genre and the label "experimental" or "variety", but maybe thats a bit off the point here.

Well thats all I really have to say on the matter of genres, they're good but sometimes utterly confusing =P.

The concept of musical genres nowadays are truely meaningless once you try to move past the idea of "let's compare one band to another."

Take, for instance, Boards of Canada. Hit up Wikipedia and it will tell you that they are classified as an "Intelligent Dance Music" (IDM) band, but does this really say anything about the music they make? You'd think it would imply that lots of dancing goes on, but if a lot of their music sounds

I'd imagine there's not as much of that as the uninformed might postulate.

Their music is slow, meandering, and sample/synth driven with lots of effecks and distortion... and the occasional drum machine or electric guitar to break up the less indulgent pieces. Obviously since they only use random sampled voices they don't belong specifically in this thread, but I thought it would help illustrate my point: classifying music is not only chaos, but also silly in a realistic sense, since so much of the criteria can be swayed by personal taste and opinion.

So, yes.

The concept of musical genres nowadays are truely meaningless once you try to move past the idea of "let's compare one band to another."

Take, for instance, Boards of Canada. Hit up Wikipedia and it will tell you that they are classified as an "Intelligent Dance Music" (IDM) band, but does this really say anything about the music they make? You'd think it would imply that lots of dancing goes on, but if a lot of their music sounds

I'd imagine there's not as much of that as the uninformed might postulate.

Their music is slow, meandering, and sample/synth driven with lots of effecks and distortion... and the occasional drum machine or electric guitar to break up the less indulgent pieces. Obviously since they only use random sampled voices they don't belong specifically in this thread, but I thought it would help illustrate my point: classifying music is not only chaos, but also silly in a realistic sense, since so much of the criteria can be swayed by personal taste and opinion.

So, yes.

I agree, classification is mainly just for the purpose of identifying the main styles played, and have little to no bearing on how good the music they make is. Wikipedia is one of the worst offenders at poor genre classification though - just reading their article on alternative rock should quickly convince anyone of how poorly written they are.

I agree, classification is mainly just for the purpose of identifying the main styles played, and have little to no bearing on how good the music they make is. Wikipedia is one of the worst offenders at poor genre classification though - just reading their article on alternative rock should quickly convince anyone of how poorly written they are.

Have to agree with you there. Wikipedia can be quite amusing at times.

Another party contributing to the genre-confusion are the bands themselves. For the most part, many bands out there consider themselves the first in a new genre; Machinae Supremacy, for example, classifies their music as "SID-Metal." But in reality, their music is a power metal hybrid along with the occasional nod to goa / psy trance elements.