GeForce 8500 GT with Silent Cooling

Siamey

Hey all,

I've got a question for someone with a tech background, seeing as how I haven't been keeping up with the latest advances in the video card market.

Im planning on selling some custom built gaming rigs I've built with 2 XFX GeeForce 8500 GT's in them, linked with SLI. They've got 512mb ram each, and the motherboard is pretty good and the system has 2gb of 800mhz ram.

Would I be safe to put on my advertisement... something to the effect of "will play almost every game on the market at full settings"

I mean, we're talking 32x antialiasing and full hdr and everything, so it should probly play even Crysis on decent settings right?

http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System%20Requirements/

Gotta print out the ads tonight and throw them into local shops tomorrow, so anything you could say to help me out would be great.

Thanks guys

Yeah, the 8500GT is kinda bottom of the current-gen barrel. Although, you could probably get like 4 of them for the price of an 8800GT. So if there's a way to SLI 4 8500GTs, you might be in business. :D

That would actually be pretty cool, just because somebody bothered to try it.

Still an enormous waste of time and money though.

Just for fun, I looked something up:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1422&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=2

"double the fun" with Zotac 8500GT SLI is not enough to win against a single 8600GT which, as we said before, costs less than two of these.

Yeah, you're fucked. A single 8600GT can barely do crysis at like 10fps.

If budget is the big concern here, the 7900GS is a great card for around $120.

If you're willing to go a little higher, CH's suggestions are spot-on. ATI's HD 3850 is the card of choice at $180. It actually runs Crysis admirably well at standard resolutions with no filters. Next in the hierarchy would be its beefier brother the HD 3870, at $220.

An 8800GT will run you at least $270, but you can't get anything better at that price. I'm planning to get one myself sometime soon...

You're kidding me, right? A budget-level card running a game with the highest settings? Why on Earth would video card manufacturers market more expensive and far faster graphics cards if the budget-level cards were more than adequate, as you assume?

because poor gamers will buy the extra cheap card, netting the company more profit.

because poor gamers will buy the extra cheap card, netting the company more profit.

"Poor gamers?" Poor gamers would buy themselves a *600-series card at least (anything below that is aimed at the 2D budget/OEM market). Unless they don't know what they're doing, in which case they're not really "poor," rather "uninformed."

A word of advice: Avoid video cards where the third-to-last digit of the chipset is not at least an 8. Almost always, last generation's top cards will outperform today's budget cards.

For the price of 2 8500 series cards, you could likely get one 8800 series card with better performance overall.

As a seller, you've just got to hope your buyers don't think the way I do >_<

In your particular scenario, test anything you advertise, on the hardware you're selling. Don't try to guess at performance through benchmarks, specs, and system requirements.