*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Kricket Koncert'

djpretzel

ReMixer names: Andreas and Savas Oulassoglou

email aaristid@logos.cy.net

file location (temporarily)

this ReMIx was made in 1999 but we decided to submit it today

please reply here aaristid@logos.cy.net

I like your new ff9 ReMix but my favourite has to be Zelda_64_Pachelbels_Ganon_OC_ReMix.mp3 (listened to it over 20 times)

I like the way it ends..

Awesome work

Keep up the good work DJpretzel

Savas

Wow... it's a shame to see a remix this well done brought down by a single sample, but that's what happens here. Namely, that guitar sample (or was it a sax... hard to tell with GM!) Every time I think I'm liking the song, that sample comes in and I... stop liking it.

Edit - listened again, and now I think the rest of the song rocks enough to forgive those parts, and I really think my rejection was overly anal. So...

YES

The beginning music box sounds relatively fake, but it's not a huge problem. Not as bad as other music boxes I've heard. The quality of the saxaphone is not the greatest, either. Though, the arrangement of this piece overall is just fantastic. The percussion isn't that bad, either ^^ Nice to hear from a new face to knows what he's doing.

YES

I DO understand what it's like to not have access to the best of sounds...

Though there are ways to make things sound good using whatcha got. For instance, that harmonica panned to the left sounds very dry compared to the über-delay-drenched music box and some of the other sounds.

Oh, there ARE crickets in this mix.

Actually the sax doesn't bother me so much. And there is variety from one section to the next. I'm torn on this one. I'll listen again later and decide.

I think I needed prot's help to figure out what I was feeling. Here's the thing. With DKC and DKC2 (not sure about DKC3, haven't heard it) music, a LOT of it has already been done in very high-quality format. It could use some EQ'ing here and there and some bitrate increases, but for the most part, you can listen to a Donkey Kong Country OST just fine without feeling like it needs to be redone in a better fashion. Now, if this remix had been of an 8-bit tune it would be a helluva lot more impressive. (which is what I tend to stick with so that people don't complain about sound quality... MUHAHAHAHA) As a remix of a 16-bit song, and especially one from the DKC games which had exceptionally high quality music for the time, I can't say it's up to snuff. So, sorry, I'm gonna have to say:

NO

Though I do love eastern Europe...

DC

I'm really digging the arrangement. Very solid sounding.

But yeah, there are some very not cool instruments being used in here

that just kill it. If this was done in 99 like they said I'm sure they've got

something they can touch this up with now. Maybe as far as better

hardware or whatever. And yeah, those crickets are making me nervous.

Man i'm torn. I really do like it. It's just such a solid sounding mix, despite

those nasty patches every now and then.

yeah, sure, what the hell. YES

- Music box was great, sounds very nice, as do most of the other samples.

- Panned left harmonica was rather bland/simple. Could have used some reverb, delay, something to make it stop less suddenly.

- The sample brought in at 2:31 sounded out of place and too frequent/repetitive. If it was supposed to be a cricket chirp it sounded unnatural.

- The usage of the "Cricket" sample behind the lead at 3:52 doesn't work. Would sound much better without it.

- Arrangement sounds top notch. But: Until I get hold of an original, I'm going to take Protricity's word that the mix isn't well developed and is a basic sample swap mix. In such a case, it isn't the arrangement that appeals to me, it's the original.

Vote: No

Wow. I got the deciding vote again....

No. Why no? I don't dig the samples. I know, I know...Daniel already brought up a good point about not everyone having access to ubersampleriffic samples, but it's mainly the opening music box and the sax. I know sax samples are REALLY hard to get in good quality. so it's forgivable. I don't like the harmonica sample either.

Okay samples aside. Let's say I liked them all....I'd still say no. Why? This is no different from the original .spc. I'd rather listen to that, no offense. This mix sounds like a step backwards. Everyone else seemed so torn on the fate of this mix, but it was painfully clear to me. No.

P.S. Lose the crickets singing along.