OCR01652 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "In Pieces"

djpretzel

It's about damn time we had a new Yoshi's Island mix!

The intro is great. The orchestral-esque instruments work well with the building electronic elements. I like the gated strings (0:34-0:45), it's a shame they're not featured more prominently in the rest of the song. Nice work with the 3/4 -> 4/4 adaptation, like the judges noted it doesn't seem overly forced. I loved the changes of pace at 3:23 and 4:05 (nice soloing!), but the sudden ending leaves me wishing there was more. Overall, though, I thought the remix was great..

(btw, djp, it's not a remix of Underground BGM as you currently have indicated in the remix information, it's the castle / fortress music.)

edit: looks like that has been taken care of.)

Heh, I come here years ago looking for a remix of this exact tune, and as soon as I make an account *poof* one appears. How's that for interesting?

This mix is very well put together - the "chorus" really hits me in a good way (chorus assumed to be 1:29-1:39 and all like parts). Little empty in parts, but that's a good thing as it fills up BIG and gets ya just afterwards.

Lovin' it :-P

I'll admit that I was disappointed when I found that this wasn't actually a remix of the "Underground BGM", as that's my favorite song from the game. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard this. My favorite part would have to be the ending, which caught me off guard in a good way and kept everything fresh. Good stuff!

Well I followed the progress of this mix as soon as I saw it in the To Be Judged queue. Something about the name of the track gave me this feeling that it would be awesome and would pass. When I saw it in the To Be Posted queue I knew it would be great and was wondering who the artist was. When I saw it was Palpable I knew this was going to be a quality tune and was wondering what track he had arranged. When I saw he had done the castle theme and heard the song, my initial feelings were confirmed. This is great stuff and a very worthy addition to the Yoshi's Island collection, or is that the McVaffe collection?

Nice buildup and atmosphere to the main riff all broken down; this has a badass, sinister vibe that I am really digging on, and when it gets into the full on chorus and morse code beeps, it's hot like hell.

I'm not huge on the snare's use in the chorus, i'd have preferred something a little sharper to mix with the razorblade synths, but a minor complaint in a fantastic mix is just nitpicking.

I also think some of the note choices in the solo could have been improved upon. Not that the notes are out-of-key, but it just didn't build as well as I was hoping it would, and the notes seemed a little random.

Great stuff, I really enjoy this mix.

I really enjoyed the overall vibe these piece had. The bassline entering at :44 was def my favorite part. Def a nice track to chill too. It has enough of little elements to carry the song all the way through and warrant multiple listens. I would have like to either of seen a more defined break out section or some ambient sound design. That is more of a personal preference. The sound design def conveys the feeling of the song well, the glitches are used tastefully and in the correct situations.

Tons of atmosphere in this track. The production has lot's of delicious roooooom in it. I think there were some comments about repetitiveness - I don't agree. For instance the great groovy beat might even lose some of it's impact if it wasn't as solid as it is now - in any case it's great as it is. I'm not familiar with the original, and I have to say I couldn't tell the time signature has been changed.

I love all the different synth sounds that play the different melodies. The roooom in the mix is also the roooom to have all these alternating sounds in there. It wouldn't work so well if it was busier and more stuffed.

The build-up in the end is very good too. But I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the breakbeats in the end. It doesn't fit so well with the mood and tightness of the rest of the piece. At least I really miss a definitive OOOMPH in the lower fidelities either in 04:05 or 04:16. (Or is it there, and I just can't hear it with these headphones?)

--Eino

Cool piece. I’ve gotta gripe though that I think the percussion samples sound a little plain, esp the hi-hats. That said, the sequencing easily makes up for that. The glitchy shaker sound at 2:00 and the stuttered open hats are fun little additions. The various leads are awesome, especially when they get layered with the bells, like at 1:19. The break at 2:03 is on point, and probably my favorite part. You’ve gotta picture me doing a little robot dance to get the full effect of how much I love that part :) The energetic driving vibe through 3:20 is absolutely hypnotic...much love for that too. 4:05-end sounds like it belongs to a different song to me. It’s cool in it’s own way for sure, but it just jolts me out of what I felt was a great enough vibe in the first section; I think that initial vibe easily could have carried the song to the end on its own.

Anyway, I have woken up with this tune in my head a coupla times now and it’s a hard one to get out! Great work.

Very nice reinterpretation of the castle tune. Manages to capture the spirit of the original tune while making it into something new and better. Nice.

However, there is one thing I have a problem with, and that is the last, the breakbeat part. While it is easily the best part of the song (I can't help but tap my feet to it), it still doesn't really gel well with the rest. Seems like an afterthought to me, tacked onto the end just to be there. As Harmony said, the whole remix would have worked without it, too.

Just make your next remix similar to what you showed us here in the last ~30 seconds, and I'll be a very happy man.

I actually heard this remix on Palpable's website before it was posted but I'm glad it got on OCR. Not that there was any doubt in my mind ;)

The sounds used are both interesting and fits well. Although personally I don't really care for the drums used but they have their function.

This remix also does a very nice job keeping the atmosphere from the original track, something I can appreciate a lot. I also enjoy the almost bitcrushed vibe-type sound, nice sound design here Vinnie!

The ending has a pretty nice build-up and some serious mono-lead wanking. I can relate :3 although the soundscape at that particular section is a bit thin imho.

All in all, great track. More please.

• 1 month later...

One of my all time favourite source tunes... at least in terms of character... which you gave a completely new and unexpected face.

Love the quality of the leads, adore the speedy ending and 'choruses' you could call them. Not exactly perfect... but I'll let everyone else gripe about that.

My ideal genre, a great track, and after listening to all the OCRs that were 1600+, this is in my top 3 no question.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Always been a real big fan of the source tune.

I find the synths to be kind of bland for the most part and I also like the tune better in 3/4. There are some neat parts though. The whole mix kind of whizzes and buzzes along like a well-oiled machine with a lot of composite parts all getting their say. Even if I find the sounds kind of bland I think the arrangement does a good job of exposing and exploiting their individual character. The section at the end where things start subdued go into a synth/drum spazzfest is cool.

I dunno, this isn't really my style, but I think it's pretty well done overall. I'm generally not a fan of a melody like this being so chopped up and separated into so many different compartments like it is here, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01652 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "In Pieces"