Reminder: The judges are not the WIP forum...

zircon

Even though I never submitted to OCR before, I've noticed that not all remixes get enough feedback in the WIP forum. Not that I'm blaming anyone here...it's just that there are some remixes which get attention and some that don't. That's the way it is with threads. So what should the ones which don't get attention do? Only thing is to resub based on the judges' comments.

Even though I never submitted to OCR before, I've noticed that not all remixes get enough feedback in the WIP forum. Not that I'm blaming anyone here...it's just that there are some remixes which get attention and some that don't. That's the way it is with threads. So what should the ones which don't get attention do? Only thing is to resub based on the judges' comments.

You can ask around on IRC and the like, other remixing community boards, among your own peers, direct people to the WIP post, etc.. The point isn't to not resubmit. It's to not resubmit without taking time and making significant changes.

If this is an occurrence that has only recently developed, then I know EXACTLY why it's happening. People are abusing the lack of queue. Just as the thread title suggests, they figure that the best advice they can get is from the actual vote of the judges themselves and since there is no queue they feel that they can submit as often as they want. Tensei san and I have actually joked about this before, but it looks like it's really happening. Time to re-realize our morals yo!

Kureeijii summed it up... there is nothing wrong with resubmitting, and we will always give feedback on anything we receive. The issue is when we get resubs where clearly not enough thought has gone into them, and/or when people resub days after they get rejected which is and always has been against our rules (21 day wait period between subs.) There has been more of this lately, but people resubbing without getting more outside help is an old problem.

Now, we're aware that the WIP forum is not always the place to get the best or most accurate feedback. In fact, there's a discussion thread on the topic in the private judges' forum and we're thinking of ways to improve it. That being said, it's still better than just going off blind instinct. There are a number of other resources as well.

* The ReMixing forum. We very often reject things that have poor production. If we tell you your drums are no good, and you don't know how to fix them, the ReMixing forum is a great place to go to get help - after you read the stickies and the Guides & Tutorials forum of course. In fact, even more general arrangement questions can be asked here, such as "how can I take this melody and vary it more? here's an MP3 of what I have."

* #ocrwip on IRC. This channel has been getting more and more active and is less spam-filled than #ocremix. You have a very good chance of getting an active remixer willing to give you feedback on your tune here, provided you are patient and courteous.

* Posted remixers, via email, AIM, or the forums. If there is someone whose remixes you really like, and they appear to be active in the community, there's no reason you can't simply ask them for advice. I've done this all through my remixing career and there's no shame in it. Just be polite and be ready to accept if a particular person does not have time to help.

* #ocrwip on IRC. This channel has been getting more and more active and is less spam-filled than #ocremix. You have a very good chance of getting an active remixer willing to give you feedback on your tune here, provided you are patient and courteous.

Seconded. If you're looking for feedback, this is the best place to start in the OCR community, IMO.