Reviewer Fired For 6.0 Score, Might Have Been Over the Giant Ads for the Game on Site

The Damned

this has turned out to be a much bigger thing than I ever thought it would be. I can't go anywhere without seeing this controversy online, Gamespot really did fuck up allegedly (still unconfirmed what exactly transpired right?).

All but confirmed officially, but on that note if it does ever turn out that everyone was wrong and he was fired for something really mundane the internets are going to look like such asses :tomatoface:

Just for "the record;" news have now reached the interest of Norwegian journalists; currently it's frontpage news in one of the three major newspapers in Norway (the other two focus on the election in Russia).

http://www.dagbladet.no/

"Did he get fired for being honest?"

Direct link to the article (It's in Norwegian, of course.)

Yeah, but this is mostly because nothing happens in Norway.

Well, while I don't like seeing good games get bad reviews, I certainly do think that this guy is fat and ugly.

i lolled.

no, really, i think zircon points out a good reason as to why he got fired. eidos pulled out the cash, which was a major thing for gamespot. i can understand that they canned him for basically losing so much money, but at the same time, what did they expect? did gamespot look at the game before it accepted the monies for their site? or did they blindly accept the piece without realizing that they were pimping a terrible game? i know that money's money, but still...

it's a review, it's not the words of jesus. get a grip.

if i got fired for that, the internet would know why because id tell them, fuck legal issues.

also, it would be funny if this guy didnt get fired at all and instead decided to leave the company on his own volition or something. the reason he is keeping quiet is to see the ensuing chaos that stemmed from the rumor. hes laughing his ass off right now either way.

if i got fired for that, the internet would know why because id tell them, fuck legal issues.

also, it would be funny if this guy didnt get fired at all and instead decided to leave the company on his own volition or something. the reason he is keeping quiet is to see the ensuing chaos that stemmed from the rumor. hes laughing his ass off right now either way.

Think he's laughing most at all the posters on Gamespot's forums that are striking for 24 hours on his behalf?

Boy Eidos,you're really really terrible at this aren't you?

Yeah...fired for bad review confirmed?

wow. i can't believe that Eidos went that far as to fabricate content. can't they get sued for that kind of bullshit? false advertising?

anyone want to make a LOT of money?

EDIT - i read gamespot's release on this subject. if it wasn't about the review, why isn't the video still on the site?

Everyone makes less-than-spectacular games every now and then. To believe anything else is just naive.

oh, i know that. but when a game company makes a game that isn't that good, they shouldn't pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into advertising it, and then pull out when someone points out what they already knew. they should have the good grace to say, hey, this sucks, lets just try and move on. were they pumping advertising money into the other companies that gave it 50-70%? did they take them out, as well? that'd be worth knowing.

oh, i know that. but when a game company makes a game that isn't that good, they shouldn't pump hundreds of thousands of dollars into advertising it, and then pull out when someone points out what they already knew.

thats the whole point. to create something cheap and subpar and advertise the hell out of it to get people to buy it. it works with tv shows, movies, music, video games, and pretty much everything else. welcome to america.

It doesn't work that well. Marketing can boost sales and visibility, but product quality is definitely an important factor as well. I mean, think about this for a minute. A million-selling CD these days is considered a success; many are having trouble even going gold (500k). The latest Britney Spears album might have sold 1 mil, POSSIBLY 2 at most. That's not even 1% of the population of the U.S., despite the ubiquity of Spears in the news, in record stores, on MTV/VH1, etc.

Plus, saying the "whole point" is to create something cheap and subpar is stupid. Marketing campaigns are extremely expensive. Making a cheap/subpar product and skimming the cost of development is not going to seriously offset the costs of a big ad campaign, and it's a stupid strategy anyway. More than likely, when a company ends up with a crappy product, they just try to spend more money to attempt to save it... but actually trying to make a crappy product with the intent of selling it through heavy marketing along? Doubtful.

It doesn't work that well. Marketing can boost sales and visibility, but product quality is definitely an important factor as well. I mean, think about this for a minute. A million-selling CD these days is considered a success; many are having trouble even going gold (500k). The latest Britney Spears album might have sold 1 mil, POSSIBLY 2 at most. That's not even 1% of the population of the U.S., despite the ubiquity of Spears in the news, in record stores, on MTV/VH1, etc.

Plus, saying the "whole point" is to create something cheap and subpar is stupid. Marketing campaigns are extremely expensive. Making a cheap/subpar product and skimming the cost of development is not going to seriously offset the costs of a big ad campaign, and it's a stupid strategy anyway. More than likely, when a company ends up with a crappy product, they just try to spend more money to attempt to save it... but actually trying to make a crappy product with the intent of selling it through heavy marketing along? Doubtful.

QFE.

my question is, was Eidos pumping the same advertising dollars into the webpages that gave them the fake five stars in that review?