Cloverfield

DragonFireKai

So I guess I am one of the only people on the face of the planet who was disappointed by the movie... I mean, I didn't even get into the hype and it was STILL bad.

The plot was ridiculously cheesy, the dialog was absurd, the monster itself looked nice if I could have seen it for more than 4 seconds at a time...I might have forgiven all if it wasn't for one fact that just kept bugging me.

Why the hell did they keep the camera? And more importantly, how on earth did it stay functioning during the 6-7 hours the movie spans? I mean, it gets abused like some red-headed stepchild and it STILL continues working.

And the picture quality never gets worse or anything - just some "bad" transitions when it hits the ground. Repeatedly. From around 6 feet in the air.

And the batteries also survive the extreme heat and cold of the environments, not to mention the electric pulses going around...did you see the lights? Those things were freaking out like all hell...but not the camera. Good thing Panasonics come with electromagnetic shielding now, otherwise Cloverfield might never have been made.

And the tape somehow survives the massive explosions so the government could find it. And the tape isn't affected by the pulses, either.

And the microphone never gives out, distorts, or loses quality ever until the end. Even amid crazy dust storms or extremely windy environments.

And my list of WTF could go on and on, but, meh.

Despite all of my bitching, which most of you will undoubtedly think it is, the movie did keep my interest for some of the time and the battles were, for the most part, well done.

I will give it this: it could have been worse. Oh yes, it could have been worse.

i imagine you're the type of person that generally hates fictional films. based on your post, you seem like the type of person who is incapable of suspending disbelief and realism for the sake of allowing yourself to enjoy a movie for what it is--a visually-aided story-telling.

now, i'm fine with the fact that this movie won't be for everyone, but by your logic, you're "that guy" that picks out the most trivial and ridiculous things and immediately complains in a loud voice after a movie is over and people are getting up and leaving. heck, judging by your level of scrutiny, how do you even enjoy most video games?

nothing personal. i'm not attacking you as a human being, but i'm definitely free to draw conclusions. maybe i'm wrong. it doesn't really matter either way, but good heavens, your post had me reaching for a box of tissues.

I saw it today. It had a very...visceral feel to it. They completely conveyed the feeling of utter hopelessness in the face of an unstoppable enemy.

Also, the sound design and sounds in general were fucking awesome. I have never felt so close to a RPG launching or gunfight in my life.

2 Abram tanks.

A missle artillery.

BULLSHIT!

Then a Stealth bomber air strike.

FUCK YOU J.J. ABRAMS!

I didn't like the attacks on the monster at all. 4-5 bombs blowing up on its back in succession causing its face to slam into a building should at least slow the fucker down or show significant damage.

Bullets doing nothing I can understand. Explosions with no effect I can understand. Not head trauma though.

I saw it today. It had a very...visceral feel to it. They completely conveyed the feeling of utter hopelessness in the face of an unstoppable enemy.

Also, the sound design and sounds in general were fucking awesome. I have never felt so close to a RPG launching or gunfight in my life.

Yeah, it's kind of funny to think about the sound compared to the video....the visuals is very cinema verite/lofi/messy, but the audio in the action sequences is amazing quality, great design, and in surround. I don't think onboard sound on a handicam would pick up all that :). But also, audio is something I think most audiences don't pay much close attention to and it would have been more noticeable if they had shitty sound along with the lofi visuals.

I felt totally opposite to what you felt :)!!

But thank you for the link! I was wondering what that was!

I'm hoping for no sequals.

Please let there be a movie out this year that will not see a sequel later in its marketing life

Oh, screw being against sequels. It's not like you have to watch them or anything. Besides, I think most people would agree that this movie does, in fact, deserve a sequel.

I didn't like the attacks on the monster at all. 4-5 bombs blowing up on its back in succession causing its face to slam into a building should at least slow the fucker down or show significant damage.

Bullets doing nothing I can understand. Explosions with no effect I can understand. Not head trauma though.

I'm thinking it had some sort of regenerative abilities, especially now that I know the end said "it's still alive".

Try ANY Akira Ifukube CD...

Gawd what a rip...

I guess I will if it's anything like that.

Akira Ifukube did the score for many Godzilla films.

To me, the Cloverfield theme? Overture? Sounded like it bit a big chunk off of Ifukube's style, albeit modernized. Though, I guess considering the movei, its to be expected...

And as for the durability of the creature. Why are people complaining that it wasn't hurt? Surely we've established that any good Kaiju style monster should naturally be resistant to the military.

besides. the creature's resilience to our weapons only heightens the suspense. if you already know what's going to happen (i.e. we drop bombs, creature gets blown up and dies) how is that going to be fun to watch?

not understanding why the creature survives is what excites our minds and sustains the suspense and mystery.

The first link is real. It is a scene from the movie. The second link I believe could be art from the movie since it looks exactly like the monster does in the movie. Sucks that you spoiled it for yourself. :P

All I could think of was Half-Life and the stupid antlions...especially when they were in the tunnel. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and I hadn't even seen any previews for the movie or heard anything about it before going. I told the people around me this.

Wasn't bad, but wasn't great. I too thought the plot was stupid and they could have done so much more with a badass monster. The movie had no epic feel at all.

You know, they should make a Half-Life movie. I guess the only problem would be that Gordon doesn't talk in the games. But I feel that Half-Life has a good enough plot to create a movie or two off of it.

Overall on Cloverfield, I think its only a movie that will be enjoyed in theatres or if you have some massive home theatre system; otherwise, it has no replay factor, considering the main draw is the sound effects and visual effects, which are hampered by the camera angle. Not sure it was worth the 8 bucks, but it kept me a little entertained for a while.

Call me crazy; but I don't think having a better idea of what I am looking at is a bad thing.

You missed the point. Unless you're half asleep and not paying attention, you have a reasonably good idea of it almost from the beginning of the mayhem. Seriously, the movie isn't that much like Lost, guys.

You missed the point. Unless you're half asleep and not paying attention, you have a reasonably good idea of it almost from the beginning of the mayhem. Seriously, the movie isn't that much like Lost, guys.

Rightly so, Abrams only produced the movie after all.

Saw it today with a group of friends and i gotta say it was pretty good.

I have to say the handy-cam and the way it was filmed was a good idea. I enjoyed watching it as opposed to some other monster films. It was something different. It made you feel as if you were at least apart of the scenes and all it's mayhem, rather than just watching a group of bulletproof heroes in a cinematic vision that you would typically see in other monster films. It was a little more realistic, if not in the plot then at least the people's reactions and the acting, I have to say that was a good point.

One gripe though, Nokia much?

I dunno, personally, I thought this movie was fucking amazing. I was glued to the screen from the moment the shit hit the fan. The sound was mindblowing, the visual effects were very convincing, and the overall feel of the whole movie was GRIPPING, to say the least. Gave me a nice adrenaline rush. Can't wait to see it again.

Saw it today with a group of friends and i gotta say it was pretty good.

I have to say the handy-cam and the way it was filmed was a good idea. I enjoyed watching it as opposed to some other monster films. It was something different. It made you feel as if you were at least apart of the scenes and all it's mayhem, rather than just watching a group of bulletproof heroes in a cinematic vision that you would typically see in other monster films.

i know, right? well put.

I saw it tonight, I was extremely impressed with how it was put together;

I have many nitpicks, but it is very worth seeing. Especially in theaters.

If you know some things about film production, you would be impressed as well.

All around good movie; I'd see it again; which is a big deal for me.