Unreal Tournament III

Flexstyle

The only problem my computer has with it is my soundcard doesn't play nice. So I'm stuck with, ahem, no sound. *sniff*

Spex:

AMDX2 Athlon 6000+ (dual core, 3.0 ghz per core)

ASUS motherboard (not sure exactly which one it is, but its the non-SLI version of the nVidia 500 series chipset)

ATi Radeon X700 Pro (256 MB) yeah I know...ATi...I'm saving up for something better.

M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard

2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 RAM

Various other stuff as well.

Seems to run just fine, sans sound.

I've had 3 for awhile, and am an ardent UT fan, so here's my take.

On the whole, it's kind of a disappointing package, mostly due in part to the new philosophy of the game. I read in an interview that the powers-that-be wanted a game where it would take no more than 5 shots with any weapon to kill someone. This, beyond all other things, is the crux of the failing of UT3. The overkill of the weapons completely negates their personality, and makes certain weapons (flak and rocket) the defacto choice. Your lifespan is roughly a minute at best and there is little time or reason to formulate a strategy since the game is all about "any weapon will do" as opposed to "the right weapon for the right situation."

Now, if you're smart, you should be thinking to yourself, "Wingless, sounds like you're making alot over nothing." But I'm not. That one "tweak" to the franchise has really broken it down and made it inferior to UT2004. When a mod comes along that either A.) cuts down the power of weapons or B.) increases your damage mitigation, watch how much better and tactical the game becomes.

That, and the franchise now feels gutted of content. UT's were always about content practically bursting from the seams from the onset. UT also tried to put out new and innovative gamemodes. Granted, not all of these modes were particularly fun, but they tried, and it added depth and breadth to the game. UT3 is stripped down. Basic skins, bare-bones modes, no real attempts and daring innovation. Sad, really.

That having been said, the new unreal engine is really pushing the level design to the extreme. It's a stunning game that makes Gears of War seem somehow dour by comparison. There *has* been some innovative thought put into new weapon alt-fires and the new vehicles are very fun. Warfare mode takes the best elements of CTF and Assault and merges them with the highlight of the franchise, Onslaught.

But I suppose the most profound thought and feeling I have about UT3 can be best summed up like this: Unreal Tournament 3 makes me want to play Unreal Tournament 2004 again.

On the whole, it's kind of a disappointing package, mostly due in part to the new philosophy of the game. I read in an interview that the powers-that-be wanted a game where it would take no more than 5 shots with any weapon to kill someone. This, beyond all other things, is the crux of the failing of UT3. The overkill of the weapons completely negates their personality, and makes certain weapons (flak and rocket) the defacto choice. Your lifespan is roughly a minute at best and there is little time or reason to formulate a strategy since the game is all about "any weapon will do" as opposed to "the right weapon for the right situation."

Now, if you're smart, you should be thinking to yourself, "Wingless, sounds like you're making alot over nothing." But I'm not. That one "tweak" to the franchise has really broken it down and made it inferior to UT2004. When a mod comes along that either A.) cuts down the power of weapons or B.) increases your damage mitigation, watch how much better and tactical the game becomes.

But I suppose the most profound thought and feeling I have about UT3 can be best summed up like this: Unreal Tournament 3 makes me want to play Unreal Tournament 2004 again.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's like Counter-Strike damage ratio with Unreal pacing, which totally messed up the flow UT used to have.

I don't get why it's called Unreal Tournament III, when it's, well, chronologically, number IV.

(First Unreal Tournament, UT2003, UT2004, and UT2007?)

It's the third generation Unreal Tournament. That's why...jerkface

and to Soma, the last unreal tournament WAS Ut2004... idiot!

God you people make me so angry! No wonder I haven't made a remix in like 20 years!!!

I got the game quite a while back and I'm actually enjoying a lot. Maybe not as much as I enjoyed UT 2004 but its still fun. I also personally love the level designs. They are so unique varied, and just beautiful, even if I'm not a fan of the art style. Warfare is ridiculous amounts of fun too.

The only problems I have with it so far, is that I think the map selection is a little small and the game is litered with bugs, like freezing, graphic distortion , and worst of all, poor compatability with AMD processors which basically means anyone with an AMD CPU is going to get lower performance than usual.

• 2 months later...

I'm a very staunch UT fan, have been involved in tournaments and clan play and all that jazz for like 7 years now, and I was very happy with the basic gameplay of this iteration. It's definitely as much pure fun as I'd hoped for, especially in Capture the Flag and 1v1.

Unfortunately, the game was pretty much released as a beta (by FAR the worst release of the series) and the community was DOA. IMHO Epic really has been going steadily downhill in terms of their regard for releasing a top-notch, polished product. Now hardly anybody plays it, which makes me sad because it has a lot of potential, but I don't see that the situation is likely to change. Maybe if they tweak some stuff, add some stuff, and re-release the game in a year like with UT2003>UT2004 the community might have a chance. I got my $50 out of UT3 and I'd shell out for a retooled version next year if it means getting to play a polished game with a decent community.

That, and the franchise now feels gutted of content. UT's were always about content practically bursting from the seams from the onset. UT also tried to put out new and innovative gamemodes. Granted, not all of these modes were particularly fun, but they tried, and it added depth and breadth to the game. UT3 is stripped down. Basic skins, bare-bones modes, no real attempts and daring innovation. Sad, really.

That having been said, the new unreal engine is really pushing the level design to the extreme. It's a stunning game that makes Gears of War seem somehow dour by comparison. There *has* been some innovative thought put into new weapon alt-fires and the new vehicles are very fun. Warfare mode takes the best elements of CTF and Assault and merges them with the highlight of the franchise, Onslaught.

I've never played a UT game before 3, but I'd still agree with the majority of that. I haven't put a lot of time into it since I got it for Christmas, but the fast pace, and lack of any significant difference in the weapons irked me. The only thing I disagree with is that they've pushed level design in any way. Again, I will grant that I haven't played that much of the game, but what I've seen so far is pretty standard deathmatch fair, with seemingly little regard for strategy or balance. Of course, I'm pretty sure you were talking about the look of the game though, and I will agree there. It's downright gorgeous.