FF6- Earth, Wind and Fire

Ark

Unfortunately, this isn't done in a disco style, it just reflects mood changes :<

I would tell you WHAT is remixed, but then you'll turn away in disgust. So devote 5 minutes of your day to listening to this before even guessing, no, honestly, don't-

...yes, it's that theme. :oops:

Anyway, give it a quick download. All feedback is welcome- looking mainly for criticism on arrangement at this point, since it's an early draft, but production hints are welcome too, so long as they're not too scathing at this point :| There's at least 3 distinct variations on the theme in there, and yes, I'm looking for a better title.

-----------------------------------

Click here to listen! (~4.5MB)

-----------------------------------

0:00-1:50; ambient stuff to set the mood (too long?)

1:50-3:06; main arrangement

3:06-3:45; second arrangement (completely different harmony, synth added)

3:45-; third arrangement- attempt at weaving it around a second melody, fades out to end. (ending will change/improve, just out of inspiration for now, so ideas welcome.)

Blargh, rapidshare.....

Nothing really happens for the first 1:49 seconds... You can just plain slice out a lot of the repetition. I'm really liking the stuff from 1:50 to 3:06... the voices do a great job of adding a little something extra. I'm gonna let someone a little more experienced comment on the last part. I'm not sure I like the fact you dropped a half step or so off the top and off the bottom... but other than that, I don't have much to say.

Overall, it sounds good, but you don't need to expound on the last part so much as you need to chop a lot of it out.

Blargh, rapidshare.....

Nothing really happens for the first 1:49 seconds... You can just plain slice out a lot of the repetition. I'm really liking the stuff from 1:50 to 3:06... the voices do a great job of adding a little something extra. I'm gonna let someone a little more experienced comment on the last part. I'm not sure I like the fact you dropped a half step or so off the top and off the bottom... but other than that, I don't have much to say.

Overall, it sounds good, but you don't need to expound on the last part so much as you need to chop a lot of it out.

hmm... well, the voices don't come in till the second arrangement, so I'll be optimistic and put you down for liking 1:50-3:45, which is good! That was the core, so it's not a worthless mix. And even if you're not experienced, just an opinion on the last arrangement with a backup reason would do nicely...

I never had a prob with rapidshare...

Yes, the intro is too long. You could slice a good minute off of it! The only way it justifies 2 minutes is if you steadily introduce or cut elements to keep things interesting. When the melody finally drops, it actually seemed a bit abrubt. It's a soft beat, but it came in with a timing that was off in respect to the rhythm set by the intro (in other words, I think it came in on a earlier beat than it should have). The whole 2 minutes you could have been building up to that melody, but you didn't. I suggest you add a lot more detail to the intro or cut it in half.

The heart of the mix is...really good! Very nice mood going, very nice chords and melodies. It's beautiful.

The transition to the second half is good. As for the second verse itself, I couldn't help but want a harder beat to kick in for this part. The problem with soft moody mixes is that it's hard to keep them fresh and interesting, they tend to lull the listener a bit much if not carefully crafted. Changing up the percussion in some way, harder beat or otherwise, would do a great job of renewing interest for the rest of the piece.

As of right now, this is my favorite WIP on the boards. At this point you have a lot of room to breath in terms of ideas, so don't hold back and give us something interesting!

Blaaaaaah these chords draw on for waaaaaaaaaayyy toooo looooong. Anyway, I'm not a fan of ambient so ignore that comment.

Bass during the intro could use a lot more low-end meat. Transition to the first arrangement is very awkward and it doesn't seem to have any connection to the previous section whatsoever (different harmony etc), try to bring in the instruments gradually or something, don't make it so sudden.

I really like the Saint-Germainish chordal stuff in the second part. Overall I think the development is a bit sparse, I'd try to add a bit more (perhaps ethnic?) percussive elements during the latter parts to signify some sort of development throughout. Nice work overall.

damn. thanks metaphist, i'll see what i can do. deep soft textures and harmonies i do great, percussion... not so much. that's gonna take a while to get right... reason's "percguru" loop is a good feel, i'll use that as a placeholder until i can do something more organic.

as for the intro-first transition, like i said, this is just a draft- i'm not seriously going to leave it like that :-P

although i have run into a slight snag, reason's mixer has 14 channels, and they're all now taken, so i have to do the HORRIBLE task of setting up sub-mixers and routing them to a main one. once i've done that, i'll add a percussion part and a couple more instruments to maintain the variation and aid with transitions and bridges (probably bassoon and chromatic percussion of some sort)- then play with the string/voices to make the harmonies seem less rigid. to work...