Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Face Shrine' (REDO)

prophetik music

mega edit update thing: song available here.

the original decision is available here.

super updates. orchestra added using edirol orchestral. i have most of the vienna symphonic library, but i can't seem to make it work with gigastudio rewired into FL. i can only get one channel no matter how much i fool with it.

so, thoughts?

EDIT - something else i should mention is that the piano line in the beginning is a reference to another song and thus can't really be changed either.

The saxaphone although well placed and used is a little overpowering.

There was a really beautiful set of synthy strings at the beginning and then they suddenly disappeared when the piano solo kinda kicked in. They are sorta replaced with a jazz organ later :S.

Im in a rush writing this but apart from those things i quite enjoyed it =D, very mellow, i like. Thanks!

=)

jazz organ = b3. this organ = the jeux soundfont, one of the most famous organ soundfonts on the web, and imo one of the best.

note that the strings come back, too. i think i'm going to do some different stuff with the organ at the end, however, regarding usage - i'm going to have it lower in the texture and let the strings take over.

I'd seek out a good marcato strings set of samples for the part where the strings carry the rhythm- because it just sounds really, really artificial as it is, which is a shame since most of this piece is fantastic in the arrangement and texture.

For the piano part, to humanize it, I think the quantization (too much) and dynamics are the key, but I'm not hugely experienced at this... hell, I didn't know Eggman was so talented at playing :<

Saying that, the whole piece sounds almost like it's been lifted from a black and white movie from the 30s or 40s, and the sax, while occasionally a bit too much balance-wise, really adds colour to it all. It's really good :|

• 10 months later...

...wow, this is great! Especially considering that the source is pretty repetitive and really has no melody to speak of.

The very beginning of the song seems a little abrupt; maybe because your first chord is played much faster than the ones that follow.

I especially like the sections at 1:18-1:57 and 2:36-3:00 (is this section based on something else, or is original? The chord sequence you've used sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't quite place it.)

You could probably get away with boosting the overall volume levels a bit, but that's only minor.

By the way, are you still using the same organ soundfonts you said you were using? I've been trying to find some decent ones for a while, and whatever you've used in this song has the sound I'm looking for.

No source link, no source comment.

There's a few clicks on the sax that you could edit out or at least soften. The sudden closes in the 1:22 section and after 3:00 most notably. Piano sounds like it's missing some highs in its solo section. The organ sounds a little too fat for my taste, a little fat and a little minor.

Arrangement is pretty, but I didn't get the progression. Whatever, the Js didn't seem to have a problem with that. I do like the stuff after 4:00, the rest simply didn't click with me.

It feels like the mix is missing some highs, way to fat around the mids.

Two resubs, so it's by no means bad. :D Good luck.

"A little fat and a little minor." Okay, I can see how that requires some explaining. :D

I was talking about the harmonics. The organ is fat, meaning that it's a rich and full sound, perhaps too much so. Every note has loads of harmonics, and they're pretty loud. That's how an organ differs from a sine wave. :D

The harmonics seem to emphasize minor chords, maybe it's just an effect caused by strong harmonics. Like, if there's an overtone of E that is a B, then an Em chord is gonna contain a Bm chord.

I'm not sure that's what it is, but that's what I think. Whatever it is, it's one of the reasons I don't use organs.

overtone series:

1 1 5 1 3 5 b7 1 2 b3 3 etc... (more info on overtone series...interestingly enough saxophones use a variant of this process to play notes higher than our written high F - particularly the last two high notes in the middle section of the piece)

in every note, there's almost every variety of chord that you can think of. if your system sounds like it's emphasizing minor chords, it's likely because based on this series and the intonation used by major organs today generally makes minor chords sound slightly more in tune. when a chord's more in tune, it gets louder due to constructive interference (check out this article for more info on this topic). it's also likely because you don't have enough bass for the lowest 32-foot pipes to come through clearly. it's ALSO because, in my writing for organ in general, i tend to double the minor third in the chord (aka, 1 and 3 in a minor chord and 3 and 5 and 7 in major ones) more than the root, since i prefer implied roots.

did that make sense?

I've heard similar effects on live electric organ as well. I don't think it's my sound system - I use headphones, and I think they go pretty low.

The individual overtones come at different volumes, so it might be that this particular organ sample/synth/thing that you're using accentuates the overtones that create that minor chord sound. There's so many different organ sounds, and they probably have different harmonic balances.

Maybe it's the organ sound. It's admittedly your organ writing. And yes, it made sense. I'll have to relisten to re-evaluate, but I'll wait for an update to do that.

No one noted the harpsichord.:| It's beatiful! I feel as though the harpsichord could be used just a little more often, which may in turn give this piece a nice flare. I dunno, it's just a 'putting it out there' suggestion, but otherwise, great song! I agree with the fact that the piano needs to be more humanized, though IMO (and probably many other people's O) find it odd and slightly difficult to humanize a piano by just using your mouse.

Well, best of luck on getting this song into OCR!

mega edit update thing: song available here.

the original decision is available here.

super updates. orchestra added using edirol orchestral. i have most of the vienna symphonic library, but i can't seem to make it work with gigastudio rewired into FL. i can only get one channel no matter how much i fool with it.

so, thoughts?

EDIT - something else i should mention is that the piano line in the beginning is a reference to another song and thus can't really be changed either.

I would love to see the sheet music to this, I could turn this into an excellent part of a contemporary marching band show.