OCR00072 - Chrono Trigger "Belthasar"

Chrono Trigger 'Belthasar'

The first Chrono Trigger mix on the site comes off pretty well I think. The beat is the star of the song. Piano comes in with a soft melody as the beat continues to play around. Some filters are used to warp the sound a bit in the second half. Not the end-all/be-all Chrono Trigger mix, but it's certainly not crap.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

God I Love Chrono remixes. be they Cross or Trigger, They're all great. And this original mix of the Sealed Door is great. most other mixes I've heard of this song, such as Trptcox's, try to emphisise the ambient nature of the song, Zeratul takes it in a new exciting direction as he has so often done.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As for a first remix on a game, it doesn´t necessarily have to be great, because you can´t download an another one, because this is the only one, and you have to download it anyway. But luckily, Zeratul actually made a great remix so that we don´t need to do that. How nice of you, thanks. :D

• 1 year later...

The drums are really the main standout here, as they demand attention, and the rest of the mix is alright with complying.

Though I do like the direction the mix goes in, it just seems like the melodic aspect of the song is held back by the domination of the beat.

Rather than tone the beat back though, i think the melody should be pumped up to match.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I honestly wouldn't have thought that this track was as early as it was. A lot of it holds well even today. Drums are the obvious focal here, and they get the job done well. I'm going to agree with OA that if the rest of the track were brought up to match things would rock just a tad more.

Interesting tidbit that Belthasar is the first track mixed for CT, and not Corridors of Time. Nice work.

• 2 months later...

What immediately jumps at me from the beginning of the song is that the volume is really low overall.

The drums clearly drive this song with how much louder it is than everything else, as well as it dictating things. There isn't a whole lot variation here though, and the source is mostly layered over without much change.

Definitely was never a fan of this one.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The drums being the main focal point reminds me of the Barrel Volcano source from SMRPG, but even though the drums are clearly the lead here, there are ideas, like the piano playing underneath the loud drums, that I liked. Other parts of it weren't my cup of tea, actually, but for the first CT mix, it was a decent start.

• 1 year later...

What stands out to me is the immediately entrancing atmosphere... very dark-celestial, a final boss. (Huh, parts of this (especially the piano) remind me of a Yoko Shimomura a la Kingdom Hearts 'important boss battle theme'.) Then you add the harsher electronic elements and the breakbeat drums and turn it all on its head. I'm a sucker for breaking beats, so I'm not the best judge on how well they actually GO with a song, but I know that I LIKE how they go with this song. I sort of wish that they weren't as omnipresent as they are though - I was hoping for a lot more time at the end with the drums missing, or at least much less in focus, and just letting the SPACE do the heavy lifting. 

I like this song a lot but there's a few opportunities for me to love it more... but that's all in the past now. As it is, it's a very hearty addition to OCR, quite a nice sample of early submissions. 

• 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00072 - Chrono Trigger "Belthasar"