Martial Arts

The Pezman

There are several nerd stereotypes out there. One of the more recent ones is karate. At the basest level, it makes sense. Learn to defend yourself from the asshole taking your lunch money. And any fascination with Asian culture brought on by video games probably doesn't hurt either.

Can't say for sure how relevant any of that is anymore. But, to note, my instructor is a math professor here at the college, and a good number of us in the class are math or science majors of one kind or another.

I do Chidokwan style, and have just finished my third semester of it by successfully testing for my green belt this evening. We've had our share of traditional kata (Heian Nidan & Heian Sandan), arnis sticks and throws, but also a good number of practical self-defense techniques.

So, if you do martial arts, what kind? And for those who don't, what do you think about the stereotype today?

Hee, heian katas. Good times.

I've been doing shotokan karate for over 8 years now, got my shodan about a year and a half ago.

Whoa, wait, more like a year and 3/4. MADNESS.

But yeah, our katas are mainly just the shittei and sentei katas [not...ENTIRELY sure thats how you spell them correctly, I'm basing it on my sensei's pronounciation]. Our association is the ISKF or...JKA. I forget which, used to be both but one recently split from the other. It's nice though, cause we have a master fly in every 3 months to do seminar and testing. Good times.

I'd like to learn that pressure point move that makes youre enemy explode on contact, and their shrapnel destroy all opposing you but...

I've studied Aikido, Karate, and watched a bit of Tae Kwon Do. I haven't practiced in a few years, but I love the subtle simplicity of Aiki. I'd like to learn Capoeira, but mostly to show off... perhaps next year I'll have some time in my schedule.

I'd like to learn that pressure point move that makes youre enemy explode on contact, and their shrapnel destroy all opposing you but...

I've studied Aikido, Karate, and watched a bit of Tae Kwon Do. I haven't practiced in a few years, but I love the subtle simplicity of Aiki. I'd like to learn Capoeira, but mostly to show off... perhaps next year I'll have some time in my schedule.

Hokuto no Ken.

Fist of the North Star?

Try Dim Mak. Its close...

I have a black belt in Tae kwon do, been doing it for years... eons even...

did a little bit of Karate

A lot of self teaching to just getting my feet wet in a lot of styles.

But Tae Kwon Do is my main gig. Always has been.

I really would like to learn Judo, Aikido, or something else grapple related, because while I love Tae Kwon Do and it's done tons to give me proper technique to make my kicks accurate and pretty to look at, I know very little grappling and would like to learn more in that regard.

Schools that seem to be popping up everywhere are mixed martial art schools. It looks interesting... but I'm hesitant to try mixed martial arts just because a lot of guys I know that did it cared very little about anything else other than Ultimate Fighter and beating the living shit out of each other... and I think that kind of mentality coming into a martial art is kind of retarded, but to each their own. MMA certainly does seem to have it's use if you're want to learn an amalgamated variety of techniques to beat the living daylights out of someone quickly and efficiently. So... in that respect it would be cool, but I don't know really what I'd be getting myself into. I don't know if it's me or what, but the discipline from traditional martial arts seems lost in the whole concept of mma, and is more of a "tough man's" way to fight instead of actual martial art? Am I wrong? I would love to learn a some though... no denying that it's as close to learning how to street fight as you can get... without being in, you know, fight club.

It's so different from the way I see traditional martial arts I guess ... but I'd still like to give it a go one of these days. :)

Tae Kwon Do, Shorinji Kempo, and Aikido.

TKD gives me mobility and kicks, Kempo strong, grounded forms and joint locks, and Aikido fluidity and...fuck, I don't know, inner peace? Circular motion? Something, but I can't fit it into words.

Overall, I feel that if I explored each of them more fully, I'd be a pretty balanced artist. Right now, I've trained most intensely with Shorinji, so I'm inherently biased to that, but I value the other two as well.

But you're level 2! That sounds really cool man. I don't know the details of those martial arts that you named, but since GFT is a combination of all them, it sounds like you can kick some ass. Hahaha. Have you ever had to use it outside of military situations? Just curious.

I haven't had to use anything outside of a few blood chokes to deal with belligerent drunks.

So at level 4 the only person that can kick your ass is Chuck Norris?

Let's put it this way, the Army arranges for mandatory paid leave for recovery when you get a slot in the level four school. They assume you're going to be so beat up that you won't be able to do your job right away.

I haven't had to use anything outside of a few blood chokes to deal with belligerent drunks.

Let's put it this way, the Army arranges for mandatory paid leave for recovery when you get a slot in the level four school. They assume you're going to be so beat up that you won't be able to do your job right away.

Paid leave from rigorous training, or because someone better than you is going to injure you and whoop up on you? Both?

I've always been curious how the Army and Marine Corps train people to fight hand to hand, because you know they are going to cut all of the fat out of various fighting styles. They're only going to be interested in teaching the few moves that end a fight quickly and completely.

Paid leave from rigorous training, or because someone better than you is going to injure you and whoop up on you? Both?

I've always been curious how the Army and Marine Corps train people to fight hand to hand, because you know they are going to cut all of the fat out of various fighting styles. They're only going to be interested in teaching the few moves that end a fight quickly and completely.

Yeah, that sounds scary to me. Is it even a good idea to use that stuff against belligerent drunks? Hahaha.

That is basically established as a myth. Just because it's a practical art doesn't mean it is automatically superior to other martial arts. Also, apparently normal MMA style is actually more complete and practical than even military arts since military stylesfocus so much on one side of practicality of quick, unarmed combat. Military styles are there to offset the helplessness of being unarmed. I'm not saying military styles are weak, but they aren't exactly the 'ultimate' forms of martial arts some people like to say they are. They have their own faults like any other martial arts as I see it.

I'd choose a fighter who is built to stand for a longer fight than someone who is in it to finish quickly.

I'd choose a fighter who is built to stand for a longer fight than someone who is in it to finish quickly.

That's pretty much how I'm built. I'm more of a boxer by fighting style than anything but I have had some experience in various martial arts. Can take a good beating for good while before I even get mad lol. The trick is to know how to absorb hits as well as weaken them as you make your own assault without having to turtle often in case you feel as if you're getting in trouble.

in essense, if you're not really careful, chances are you'll get fucked up in the worse way by me. :)!!

I like how some fighters think they can try finishing me fast at the gym when they more often than not just tire out and get all weak.