Wordpress and security

Steben

Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I've kind of started dabbling in web design over the past few months. In particular, I've gotten into using Wordpress, for my personal website and my trombone section's website. (The latter of which is linked in my signature currently.)

I'm currently talking with my university's Director of Bands in remodeling our website. Our current webmaster is about to graduate with his doctorate in music, and will start band directing himself, so they need a new guy to step up, and I volunteered.

So, I've taught myself enough CSS and PHP and such in order to modify the Sandbox theme to match the current site design, the results of which you can see here. So I've gotten all that set up alright.

The question comes in when I consider that I'm pretty naive when it comes to security stuff. Is Wordpress pretty safe from malicious hackers? Where could I learn more about protecting my sites from this kind of thing?

I appreciate any help you guys could provide.