Getting started with REAPER for free

AMT

Thanks Argle, I'll try that :).

Also, is there any difference in (Best, Better, and etc.) when Rendering a Wav? I never understood what the difference was, or how it affects the sound (if it does at all).

Edit: Considering that I don't have a MIDI keyboard does it matter if all of my tracks are all on midi all? Like if I have 5 tracks, and they're all set to midi all. Will this bring down or affect my sound?

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

Thanks Argle, I'll try that :).

Also, is there any difference in (Best, Better, and etc.) when Rendering a Wav? I never understood what the difference was, or how it affects the sound (if it does at all).

Edit: Considering that I don't have a MIDI keyboard does it matter if all of my tracks are all on midi all? Like if I have 5 tracks, and they're all set to midi all. Will this bring down or affect my sound?

I have no idea about the WAV, I guess that the better option you choose, there's less chance of glitching but it uses more resources/takes longer.

MIDI all doesn't affect the sound. You only need to look at the MIDI channels if you are sending multiple MIDI files to one track, for example with a Kontakt instance and multiple different libraries loaded.

It has something to do with resampling. I always use the default. I assume the higher settings are for crazy people.

The input setting doesn't matter if you don't have a keyboard.

The demo project All Through the Night is located here.

To find yer plugin, open up the FX Browser and type the name into the filter list. If it doesn't appear, check Preferences->VST to make sure the path is represented. If it still doesn't appear, make sure you actually installed it correctly.

I've never had trouble getting other apps to produce sound while Reaper is running. Check this. Make sure top box is checked. If it doesn't work, try the other one. If it still doesn't work, post on the Reaper forum.

The demo works after 60 days, but by the Reaper TOS you must either delete it or purchase a license. I know, treating people like responsible adults instead of criminals, who'd have thunk?

Well, I managed to download the demo project and load it into Reaper, but there's no sound. Do I need a sound card for Reaper, even if I don't intend to record instruments? Some helpdesk guy told me I didn't :/

Also I was pointed to this program because I'm just getting started as a remixer/composer. I only have experience with Anvil Studio, so this is all confusing for me.

Well, I managed to download the demo project and load it into Reaper, but there's no sound. Do I need a sound card for Reaper, even if I don't intend to record instruments? Some helpdesk guy told me I didn't :/

Also I was pointed to this program because I'm just getting started as a remixer/composer. I only have experience with Anvil Studio, so this is all confusing for me.

Go to Prefs->Audio->Device and experiment with different devices. You don't need an audio card for Reaper, but some tinkering may be in order. On my work machine here I have Direct Sound set as my device, and it works no problem.

Go to Prefs->Audio->Device and experiment with different devices. You don't need an audio card for Reaper, but some tinkering may be in order. On my work machine here I have Direct Sound set as my device, and it works no problem.

Direct Sound worked! I thought I'd need ASIO because it said so in the first post, thanks a ton. One little problem I have is that items in the demo were saved by extensions I don't have, and I can't tell which extensions they are :/

Also, I'm still not sure if this is the right program for me. I don't intend to record anything, and I'm also not too interested in techno-sound and synthesizers. Is this still the best program for me right now?

Direct Sound worked! I thought I'd need ASIO because it said so in the first post, thanks a ton. One little problem I have is that items in the demo were saved by extensions I don't have, and I can't tell which extensions they are :/

Also, I'm still not sure if this is the right program for me. I don't intend to record anything, and I'm also not too interested in techno-sound and synthesizers. Is this still the best program for me right now?

You need ASIO if you're going to be doing any real-time recording, but for everything else Direct Sound is fine.

I'm not really sure what you would use the program for if you're not going to be recording or using synths...what do you want to do?

You need ASIO if you're going to be doing any real-time recording, but for everything else Direct Sound is fine.

I'm not really sure what you would use the program for if you're not going to be recording or using synths...what do you want to do?

I'm afraid I misunderstood what a synthesizer actually is >_< To clarify: I'm going to need a synthesizer if I want to make music on my computer, correct?

I was pointed to Reaper in the following topic:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43779

Can I use Reaper to make my music sound better, even though I don't want to record instruments?

I'm afraid I misunderstood what a synthesizer actually is >_< To clarify: I'm going to need a synthesizer if I want to make music on my computer, correct?

I was pointed to Reaper in the following topic:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43779

Can I use Reaper to make my music sound better, even though I don't want to record instruments?

I think a more proper term is virtual instruments. You're looking for virtual instruments that sound good. Synthesizer implies something that produces sound via oscillators. which may be what you want, or you might need pianos, drum kits, other acoustic instruments. it all falls under the heading of virtual instruments.

Reaper is an awesome program and my DAW of choice, but the problem is it doesn't have any virtual instruments of its own. so you'll need to find ones to pair with Reaper. or you can invest in a DAW that comes with virtual instruments.