Mario Kart 64 end credit theme (be gentle it's my first time!)

It's still definitely a WIP but I figured I'd get some feedback. I'm pretty new to this digital music creation stuff, I've done a lot of stuff in TABIT which is really basic midi but I finally got Orion and this is what I've come up with so far...

http://www.negativeworld.org/etc/mk64ending.mp3

Let me know what works and what doesn't!

And try not to rip me a new one if it is terrible next to the stuff other people are doing!

Hey, I'm working on this track too at the moment, great source.

Just a few quick thoughts...

Not bad for a first track, though the sounds and synths are a bit lacking. Arrangement is pretty mediocre too; it follows the original pretty closely. That synth at 1:28 should really be reconsidered, and it clips a few times alongside that dry cymbal crash. Just compare your track to something recently posted and try to match the production quality as best as you can.

Not a lot happens in the beginning and it's a little repetitive. You need some new soundfonts, but hey. I like the transition from the second part to the third part of the song.

What do you mean by soundfonts, like VSTs? I have Pro 53 which people say is great but I can't get it working, blah. I have some other big name VSTs as well, I just need to figure out how to get the best sound from them.

There are a LOT of little knobs on them that, when turned, do various things... a LOT. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MOST OF THEM DO.

I think it's ok. It's repetitive, and several of the samples used are low quality, but it's got variation enough. Some cuts and merging, and you should end up with a pretty cool piece of tolerable length and decent variation.

I really like the intro. And bonus points for a cool bass! :D Sometimes way too high, feels like you could drop it an octave in some places, but overall nice.

Cut away half of 0:44-1:12, it loops. Nice transition to "chorus". 1:44, you could toss in a secondary, faster, rhythm instrument, a shaker, second hihat, something cool on a ride, somthing like that.

1:58, okay transition, but when it comes back at 2:13, I'm sick of the texture you've used. Drop a few layers at either part. 2:28, less good transition, why not drop drums alltogether, 'til 2:42, to make it different, vary the remix a bit. 2:58, repeat from 1:58-3:41, boring. Something new, something different, please. The third time around (3:26-3:41), it's different enough, isn't it enough to just use that one?

3:41-3:04. Nice ending, it works. You could vary the drum comp a bit here, soften it a bit, keep only the crucial kicks or something, remove every other hihat.

And the last note should fade out better than that. Sooner, maybe, but not as sharply as it does at the very end. Plus I was kind'a expecting to hear another note there too, one note lower (two seminotes down).

These are a few of my observations, opinion, and suggestions. Do what you can with it, and come back to show what you've got. :) This isn't bad for a newb.

Hey thanks for the advice guys! I'm not sure when I will get around to finishing this up, have a ton of other projects going on not to mention life outside music.

I'm wondering, is there a forum here for original works too? I'm more into original music than remakes in general, I just figured I'd try a remake to get used to these new music programs.