SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS (trance mix) WIP

Strike911

Hey folks, made a new mix. I'm looking forward to hearing how the completed version of this will sound because I have so many ideas for it!

Anyway, here's a trance mix from a familiar tune from Shadow of the Colossus. I'm sure you've heart it before.

http://strike911.sanctuslegacy.com/sotcWIP.mp3

I haven't implemented an arp yet, which I'm working on for the next update. I don't think I've seen a SOTC mix with a good dance groove to it so I'm taking a crack at it.

PLEASE PARDON THE ENGINE REV AT THE BEGINNING... it will be removed on the next update. and the little ocean swishes you hear throughout. They'll also be removed by next update.

Right now it's only a bass, some accompanying bass synths, and the melody and beats. I'll add arps and pads in the next update to flesh out the sound.

What do you think so far?

The bass drum is noisy. Unless it's intentional, I'd suggest cleaning it up with a cutoff filter. It could also be a little harder, quicker attack, slower compression, whatever can be done. It works as it is, but towards the end, it starts to feel a little soft. The soundscape could use a little more variation, at about 2/3rds of it's length, I start getting tired of it, so some variation would be good. The hihats are a bit too sharp.

The car starting noise feels a little out of place. I dunno if the game has anything... oh right, you addressed that yourself. Nevermind.

So when it comes to adding stuff, make sure only to add where adding is due. It works as it is. It does need an ending, and as trance, it could use a bit more length. I think Production is okay, but production isn't my forte. Arrangement is... well, it's trance.

That's what I can help you with. I dunno how close to source this is, but if there's more from source that you could sneak in, subtly into the diverse notes (unless they're from source already) played by the piano, or into the bassline or backing synth or any of the additions you're making.

Gonna be interesting to see what the update will be like. :)

Technically, it's already pretty damn good :razz: but then you don't want only compliments chucked at you, so I'll add in my opinion;

I know it's the style and all that, but do you have to play melody AND improv in piano octaves all the way through? It gets dull pretty fast, at least for me. Chucking in a powerful lead synth or something, just anything for the piano to play around and with- it seems out on a limb there.

Updated !!

http://strike911.sanctuslegacy.com/sotcWIP.mp3

Thanks for the comments guys. Unfortunately I updated the wip before I read your stuff, so I will take a look at what you mentioned (if applicable) on the next update.

Added a little arp, took away about half of the piano, through in some synths to fill it up a little bit, and added a lot of filters to make it a little more fitting.

It's way less repetitve now, imo; I think it's because of the synths that come in.

What do you think now?

You obviously haven't fixed the bass drum. The instrument really subtly in the background, 0:28-0:, it could be a little louder or otherwise more prominent. That'd kill some repetition. 1:24, nice break. 1:39, lead sounds better with filter on, maybe you should open the filter more or up the release. 1:54, lead sounds cheap. On the adsr, lower sustain and raise release, that's what I'd try.

It's not half as repetitive as I feared, tho I'd leave out the bass in some places, or play something else with it. Do those fixes, the ones you deem appropriate, and the bass drum, and I'd give you a YES. Now the only question that remains is, does it fit the judging criterion on source vs original content?

okay, it's better, but the problem you've got now is that the bass isn't enough to carry the overlying harmony when the synth is playing around the piano part, and towards the end with the improv- without that drive from the bass, it sounds like it's... meandering a bit too much. it might just be that the piano at the end needs to be given the focus instead of the synth. imo, the bass needs beefing up or the chords fleshing out with more parts- that'll give it the oomph i reckon it needs.

as for the drums... yep, needs filtering- the noise off what i think is the global reverb you've got is a tiny bit grating and easily fixed, and once that's done, you can add the extra kick to the bass drum.