The Golden Compass

eternal Zero

With the moving up and coming, my roommate and I decided to buy the His Dark Materials trilogy a couple of days and read them before seeing the movie. The Golden Compass was the first of the set, and I'm already more than halfway through the second book. So discuss about the book or the movie or how you think it's going to work out in terms of production.

I don't know what I'll say about my expectations for the movie now, but I must say that the book was insanely smart and witty. I literally couldn't put it down. I was completely and utterly enthralled.

I love these books. I read them about two years ago and it was like carrying a whole universe around in paperback.

From what I hear, the themes of religion have been all but excised from the film, and they were replaced with hackneyed themes of dictatorship. I understand why the producers decided to do that, but it's still sort of lame.

I'm still excited to see the movie, though.

lol americans don't know what northern lights are

Heh, basically. They should have called it "Aurora Borealis" - then we would know what it was! But seriously, I like how the title "The Golden Compass" ties the three books together.

I thought the series was excellent, though the third book is a little too ambitious and unfocused. I have no freakin' clue how they will turn that one into a movie, if they are getting rid of the religious aspects of the books. The first one should make a great movie though.

I love these books. I read them about two years ago and it was like carrying a whole universe around in paperback.

Definitely. Great books, and Pullman's a damn good author for world building, up there in my mind with the likes of Frank Herbert and Orson Scott Card.

From what I hear, the themes of religion have been all but excised from the film, and they were replaced with hackneyed themes of dictatorship. I understand why the producers decided to do that, but it's still sort of lame.

That is fairly wack, but I don't think that will kill the first movie. Hinder it greatly, yes, but not kill it. Pretty much rules out doing the whole trilogy, though. Meh. It'll be worth it enough for me to see Ioric being a badass on film.

People protesting this reminds me of those who protested The Da Vinci code.

Get off of your high horse people. It is just a movie.

Protest this movie, you get praise by many.

Protest Passion of the Christ, you get ridiculed *this actually happened to my friend and others who protested outside my local theatre*.

People today...

All I've heard is that some Christian groups or something are upset with every little thing.

fix'd.

Also: I'm getting the books lent to me via a friend today, and I'm going to endeavor to enjoy these books. However, if it really IS as anti-christian as some make it out to be, then I dunno. I'm not a big fan of getting a message slammed into my face at every page; thats just ham-fisted nonsense, y'know?

Plus, I need SOMETHING to read until George R.R. Martin stops watching football and finishes his next goddamn book already.

^The first book isn't nearly as anti-Christian as everyone (read: all the losery protesters too busy caring about a movie to help feed homeless people etc) wants you to believe.

There's certainly a case to be made about the 2nd and 3rd books in the series though....it'll be interesting to see what they do about the movies (if they get that far). Still, the books aren't so bad as to ruin the world or anything.