OCR01654 - Super Mario RPG "Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow"

djpretzel

I loved this ever since I first heard it in the WIP forums. I love the voice samples used in this, I mean, none of them fit into the context of the game, but that didn't stop them from sounding totally rad. This is pretty liberal, but as someone who wasted their childhood renting this game over and over for countless months, I didn't really have any trouble recognizing the source, and I can definitely appreciate the interpretation.

Skrypnyk certainly knows what he's doing and in the same time he's bringing some originality to OCR.

Great use of something that sounds like a pretty generic hip-hop loop, soft synths that are pleasing to the ear and some funky sampling.

It doesn't really matter that it's not changing that much as the song goes, it's interesting enough already.

Awesome.

I gotta say i'm not digging the vocal samples themselves, but the atmosphere and beats are so compelling that i'm not sure what to think. The melancholy of the epiano is soul-crushingly sad. I'm not sure of the statement the track makes; perhaps the need for absurdity and randomness in all emotions, or maybe I am just reading too much into it. Regardless, the treatment of the samples is fantastic.

I gotta say though hearing the line "At times like this I wish I had a penis" followed by a heart-wrenching melody is oddly fitting.

Certainly not what I expected to hear when I read the source material as "Sad Song" but I like it nonetheless. Finally something a little less linear with this song. ;-)

It's the innovative remixes on this site that drew me to it, and it's that same that keep me near.

Man, this rocks. First "Leafcutter" and now this. Two VERY unique Super Mario RPG remixes. What more could I want?

Anyway, I remember digging the WIP version...glad this was put in OCR. The voices were weird at first, but then they started sounding addictive after my 2nd and 3rd listens. I do agree with Larry about that "quiet" part mid-point of the song...would've been cool if more voices or a variation of that haunting Piano in there.

Excellent job, man. Can't wait for more stuff from you.

Awesome mix! After listening to something like this, it feels immoral not to post some feedback. At first, I didn't like the voice samples, but they were so random that they made the melody stand out and grab you even more once the transition was done. This is definitely something very unique and very high quality - I love it!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01654 - Super Mario RPG "Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow"