OCR01654 - Super Mario RPG "Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I always liked this one but kinda felt uncomfortable with how structurally similar this is to Building up Steam with a Grain of Salt.

-Opens with irrelevant quote

-Music starts (piano for dj shadow, synths/rhodes/whatever for skrypnyk)

-turntable crap, then over the music a self-referential quote is played

-slowly building drumloops with methodical melody, interspersed with neato drumwork and more random samples.

If anything it is a stylistic simplification because it doesn't begin introducing more sonic textures like dj shadow does.

I'm not claiming this is anything resembling plagiarism, but you could walk up to a random skilled electronic musician in the street, ask him to create a stylistically and structurally identical song to Building up Steam with a Grain of Salt, then replace the primary melody with sad song, you'd get this. If this was a generic rock or trance tune, this wouldn't really mean much, but the style and structure of this really define the song.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The 10 notes at 0:13-0:17 and elsewhere remind me of the first level of Nitemare 3D; hearing that in a mix with an eerie sadness to it just kinda fits. Rapid swivels and scratches love to flip, twist, and undress the percussion in every direction without disturbing the creamy Rhodes lead. At 1:50+, the bells feel like they're trying to compete for attention in the full sound field; however, at 2:14, they foster a clear, pure segue into the next section. And what a ghostly midriff with the square wave-like bass and static playing over the barely audible voice. Needless to say, the many voice clips a-a-a-a-a-and chopping up of (3:05 lol) are a guilty pleasure. Closing out the mix with a lullaby-like iteration is the icing on the cake made entirely of frosting.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

It's an odd piece to me, but certainly not a bad one. The drum beat and scratches working alongside the piano sounded good and the samples were done in a way that they seemed to aid the ReMix, rather than just appear and possibly hinder it, which is definitely a plus. Nice work.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01654 - Super Mario RPG "Last Night a DJ Kidnapped Mallow"
  • 3 years later...