*NO* Luigi's Mansion 'Weird Scenes Inside the Mansion'

djpretzel

DJ Pretzel~

Sup, I’m sending you this remix of a Luigi Mansion theme I did. This is my first time submitting a mix for OCRemix so I’m tryin to go by the guidelines as best as I can and hopefully the file being zipped isn’t a bad thing. my actual website is at http://liquid2k.com/zyko but they won’t let me upload shit (file size and type restrictments) so the url for the tune is at

My full name is Waleed Hawatky, everybody I know just calls me weed for short and the name I go by for my music is zykO.

My email address is wmhawatky@ucdavis.edu

Aite, I hope itz all good

Late

~weed

( -.- ) Z z z

the u n I m a g I n a t I v e

I don't know if any of you have heard the album "She" by Harry Connick Jr. but it's my absolute favorite of his. It's done in a very funky style with all sorts of things that you would never expect in a Harry Connick Album. At points this song reminds me of this song called "Booker" from that album. Also reminds me a bit of Satriani work from Surfing With the Alien, but only at parts....

Anyway.... damn. This has a good bit of potential, and I sort of hate to say no to it because of that, but there are some definite sonically unpleasing aspects about this song that push it to the NO line for me:

1) clipping. (If anyone listens very closely to my "Blue Lightning" mix, you might notice faint clipping at one point, but I'm not going to tell you where, though if you guess the time correctly, I'll tell you if you're right.) This isn't a MAJOR fault in this song because it IS during a heavy guitar part and that can be expected sometimes in those parts, but normalization is your friend (along with compressor).

2) sloppy panning and cutting. Some of this seems intentional, but I can hear where reverb gets cut out because of the clipping at times. I'm not sure what kind of set up you have there, but I'm pretty sure there's got to be a better way to record guitar and edit it apart from the song so as not to end up with these unsightly cut/paste spots.

3) transitions. Well, really there's only one. It occurs at 3:00. Although this kind of ties back into my second point. I think it's just kind of sloppy. I don't honestly know how much of this can be redone (I would hope you kept the guitar audio as a separate file), but with some touching up to make it cleaner, it'd get a yes from me. However, in its current form:

NO

DC

I think DiscoDan summed everything up quite nicely. Though, the big problem I have with this mix is the percussion. The drums are REALLY boring and repetitive, and definitely don't fit for the style. Atleast, that's what I believe. This mix just overall felt empty for me. The guitar playing is pretty damn nice, yes, but it's just not executed very well. The transition at 3:00 is not smooth at all. The tempo change is instant, and it really throws off.

NO

- Guitar is played well but recording sounds horrible. Like it was recorded through a bad microphone or at low quality.

- I also hear background hiss.

- The guitar effect sounds cut/copy and pasted. Example: 0:30-0:40 it sounds like an effect was suddenly applied and then turned off.

- The drums don't do a whole lot, fairly simple/straightforward, but that alone wouldn't hold it back from me.

- Change in drum loop at 3:00 would feel nicer if it wasn't so sudden.

Vote: No