Piano~

Narroo

I, before even discovering this site, wanted to buy a Keyboard (Electric Piano). I definitly want to now!

I'm in the super cheap range, I'm hoping to not go over $150, after all, I still have Christmas shopping.

What should I get. Something from Radio shack for $99, $150? Also I found a used Yamaha PSR-195 for $85, with the stand included. Is it worth it?

Also I found a PSR-175 (Yamaha) for $99, $27 (Shipping) With a DJ thing in it.(???) What about that?

Basically, what would be good to buy, and possibly bought used, cheap. Anyone know anything about keyboards?

I don't want to waste money. So ho about some people rate some stuff I find? (If I get too annoying just tell me to stop, okay?)

I found a used Yamaha S30 for $2 on ebay ($35 Shipping). Seems nice, but a BIT old.

(Link on the Yamaha Website.)

http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D2064%252526CTID%25253D206500%252526ATRID%25253D20%252526DETYP%25253DATTRIBUTE%252526LGFL%25253DY,00.html

Also another Yamaha, PSR-260, for $70, including shipping. Here is a link to it on their website. http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D2160%252526CTID%25253D205000%252526ATRID%25253D20%252526DETYP%25253DATTRIBUTE%252526LGFL%25253DY,00.html

Also a PSR-310 for about $90-$100 (What do the model numbers mean?

http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D1959%252526CTID%25253D205000%252526ATRID%25253D20%252526DETYP%25253DATTRIBUTE%252526LGFL%25253DY,00.html

So there are three. Anyone know where I can find the retail prices of these things?

It's always going to come down to your budget and your preferences. All of those PSRs are just iterations on the same theme with a few different bells and whistles depending on the model. From what I've heard they are great for the money but I'd really take a look at what you want to do with them. If you're looking to play without a computer, then the PSRs are ok since they offer onboard sounds. That makes the keyboard easy to setup and work with, good for general practicing, and very portable. The problem is that if you will be hooking the keyboard up to a computer, you can easily find free sounds online that are better than what the PSRs will give you. Thus, you might end up never using any of the onboard sounds.

So my advice is to go with a PSR in your budget that meets the criteria that suzu laid out if you're planning on playing without a comp much of the time. If you'll be playing with the comp, I think you'll be very happy with a midi controller like the m-audio keystation61 ($161), oxygen61 ($169), or oxygen49 ($140). Keep in mind thought that to use those controllers they must be hooked up to a computer or some other sound producing device. The PSRs can be used with and without a comp.

Hmmm.....I think I'll go with the S-30. It's only about $40, and it looks nice. Its cheaper then the used keystations. Though I'm not sure it will hook up to my computer. The Yamaha page says it has a MIDI port out, is that what hooks up to the PC?

The link I posted above goes to the specifications of the S-30. What do you think, sounds good.

The S-30 should have MIDI in/out/thru ports. I haven't used it but at least the specs look nice. Aftertouch, a bunch of assiagnable sliders, 4 availible zones. If you only want to use software synthesizers on you computer, you'll only need to midi out port. If you want to use the S-30's onboard sounds for recording into the computer, you can either use just the audio output ports and connect them to your soundcard, or the both the midi in and the audio ports (recommended) so that you can sequence/save/edit your music in a software sequencer. Also since the S-30 has no usb, you'll have to make sure that your soundcard does. If not, either upgrade it or just by a midi-to-usb converter.

I seem to have a Realtek AC97 Sound Card. I googled it already....I don't think I'll be able to hook it up cheaply. Also my mom just forbid me from bidding on it...maybe she is planning on getting me something for Christmas? Of course, it will be relatively BAD, since I just for a Keyboard, and she knows nothing about my foray into remixing. Crud. Well...thanks anyways....

I seem to have a Realtek AC97 Sound Card. I googled it already....I don't think I'll be able to hook it up cheaply. Also my mom just forbid me from bidding on it...maybe she is planning on getting me something for Christmas? Of course, it will be relatively BAD, since I just for a Keyboard, and she knows nothing about my foray into remixing. Crud. Well...thanks anyways....

As long as the keyboard you mom gets you is midi capable, touch sensitive and has enough keys, you should be fine. With that, assuming you have a usb port on your computer, you'll be fine for hooking up whatever she buys. A better soundcard might be agood way to spend the money you save by not buying the keyboard yourself :) That or a sequencer like FL Studio.

I'm using REAPER. I think thats fine. I just have a bad feeling she is going to get something way too expensive, that is SO not worth it...Like a old model RaZor which she got me last year....that I almost specifically said I don't want. Hmm I'm just starting to rant now. Sorry. Well thanks guys! You guys are awesome.