Silicon Valley Jazz

Fishy

I'm a big fan of the nice simple jazz format, and if there ever was a game built for jazz it was silicon valley. Basically I'm trying to make it sound like a live quartet. I'm hoping to get a smooth vocalist to sing me some meolides, and apart from that a solo on the 12-bar for each instrument, as is the norm.

Source: http://fishy.escariot.net/public/Silicon%20Valley%20-%20Fat%20Bear%20Mountain.mp3

Remux: http://fishy.escariot.net/public/FatBearJazz.mp3

Ah, so this is what I missed on IRC. The progression and instrumentation sounds pretty genuine, so props for breaking into a difficult genre like jazz. Unfortunately, I have some issues with the percussion. The snare is very soft, which is fine and all, but whenever it picks up a bit, it sounds decidedly 'un-jazzlike'( especially during the rolls). I'm not sure what kind of sample you're using but I would suggest a brushed snare. Also, I barely even hear the kick, where is it? :P

I do liked a lot of other stuff, piano and bass sound decent, and the slide guitar caught me off-guard (in a good way). Personally, I don't have any problems with the panning, it sounds pretty jazzy to me :P

I know brass is a bitch and a half to sequence/sample decently, but nonetheless I would strongly suggest you include at least something like a live sax (which is no brass, I know) or trumpet from one of the mixers who plays one, because Jazz without some blaring brass is IMO pretty much unthinkable, and you probably want as much live players as possible :P

Overall it's pretty sweet though!

I know brass is a bitch and a half to sequence/sample decently, but nonetheless I would strongly suggest you include at least something like a live sax (which is no brass, I know) or trumpet from one of the mixers who plays one, because Jazz without some blaring brass is IMO pretty much unthinkable, and you probably want as much live players as possible :P!

Sorry mate, I have to disagree completely there. While "blaring brass" can be characteristic in some jazz, this particular piece doesn't call for it...at all. In fact, blaring anything will sound out of place. The track is meant to be smooth and laid back. Anything that is not playing the melody is meant to support the remix, not stand out. Some tasteful, soft brass/woodwinds might be the trick, but blaring...I think not.

Sorry mate, I have to disagree completely there. While "blaring brass" can be characteristic in some jazz, this particular piece doesn't call for it...at all. In fact, blaring anything will sound out of place. The track is meant to be smooth and laid back. Anything that is not playing the melody is meant to support the remix, not stand out. Some tasteful, soft brass/woodwinds might be the trick, but blaring...I think not.

Ha, I should've expressed myself better, and I can totally understand where you're coming from. I meant it as a figure of speech, similarly to saying

" I'd like to hear some wailing lead guitar in there", I did not mean it that literally, so sorry about that :P

Tweek is pretty much right for what I'm going for here. Everything is meant to be subtle, and nothing more then the icing on the cake to what will hopefully be a lovely smooth vocal if I can find one.

I also wanted to keep it to just the 4 piece, I was even considering taking out the guitar. I'm going for the feel of your average Diana Krall song.