TV problem...

zircon

I have a 20" normal tube television from RCA. I bought it about a year ago.. Out of nowhere, a few days ago, whenever I would turn it on it would simply display a bright green monocolor image across the whole screen, getting gradually brighter, and then turn itself off. I have a cable box, so I tried disconnecting that. Same thing. I've tried unplugging the TV entirely, as well as switching where it's plugged into, but no effect. The audio comes through, for some reason.

What's going on here? Did my TV just bork overnight for no reason?

I'm guessing.... yeah. That's not normal at all. Something must have fried and usually when that happens, it's not one of those things you go in and fix it yourself. Anything involving taking apart your television (even if you want to remove all the parts to make a novel fish tank) is a bad, bad idea which most commonly ends up with people electrocuting themselves. It's time to buy a new TV anyway. Get HD. :D

I forget what actually does this, but yeah, its broken. It will cost more to repair it than what its worth, so time for a new TV. Excellent excuse to go for HD.

Also, never ever ever open a CRT TV or monitor unless you know what you are doing. They can kill. Easily.

Capacitors. Even after you've turned it off, they can hold a lot of electricity for a long time.

In addition most are left by themselves outside of the tube itself, so unless you know what to avoid touching, you wont know until after you get zapped.

Ive seen it happen once, it wasn't pretty. Luckily, the caps only had enough juice left to knock the guy out, not kill him.

Anytime I open my tube amp I'm EXTREMELY careful not to touch anything that I don't have to. I'll also never open it if I've played it in the past couple days, just to make sure that the caps are as drained as they can be (without me draining them myself).

They can definitely easily kill. I'd never open a TV, I have no problem opening up a tube amp, I'm just not familiar enough with the innards of a TV.

Reminds me of when the teacher at tech school told us to never open the power supply of a computer. The capacitors can easily hold their charge for periods longer than a month, even two months, and still not be fully drained.

Even just brushing it lightly is enough to give yourself the lethal dosage of voltage needed to epic fail life.

Reminds me of when the teacher at tech school told us to never open the power supply of a computer. The capacitors can easily hold their charge for periods longer than a month, even two months, and still not be fully drained.

Even just brushing it lightly is enough to give yourself the lethal dosage of voltage needed to epic fail life.

Don't remind me. Unless you are in a really high rated power supply, they usually don't hold enough to kill you. But my god jesus fuck in high heaven does it hurt.

Serious question: have you tried hitting it?

My television is relatively new (2½ years) and, rarely, it'll display a vertical white line and shut off when I try to turn it on. If I smack it a few times on the side, it'll get back to working. It hasn't done that in a while now.

Although, if it's something majorly wrong with your set, then this obviously isn't going to be a permanent solution. KF