New list formats for games, remixes! (report issues here)

djpretzel

Okay so...

My only complaint would be that the new lists (especially the system images) are, in my opinion, somewhat distracting when I already know what I'm looking for.

But seriously, that's about the only complaint. By and large this is a definite improvement and it should be (and is!) appreciated that dave and co. work continuously to make ocremix a better place.

Consistent improvement, whooooo!!

EDIT:

Lookin' great Dave.

Just want to throw this in to anyone who's going to reply to this thread:

Don't be a douchebag when giving your opinion. If you have any kind of problem with the new lists, talk about it intelligently. I know Dave's been working on this for quite a while now, so keep that in mind.

Ahahaha, beating them to the punch (whoever "them" is) :P

I can't say I like the new look too much... OK, so the system images are cool, but I think the rows are too big (I know that's cuz of the images). All the info within them is messy so it's a bit difficult to find what I'm looking for.

There are a few other things I dislike about the list but they're nothing major.

I think the old style was more convenient, more suitable for the rest of the site and definitely more slick.

Sorry, but heck, that's just what I think.:?

Agreed. Though I really like the console icons - who made them?

Multiple sources, mostly Japanese sites. I need to add them to http://www.ocremix.org/info/Credits, and will do so soon.

I can't say I like the new look too much... OK, so the system images are cool, but I think the rows are too big (I know that's cuz of the images). All the info within them is messy so it's a bit difficult to find what I'm looking for.

There are a few other things I dislike about the list but they're nothing major.

I think the old style was more convenient, more suitable for the rest of the site and definitely more slick.

Sorry, but heck, that's just what I think.

I personally don't think there was anything particularly slick about having "(2)" or "(7)" instead of the actual mixers and composers listed out. The icons aren't really what's pushing the row size, it's the additional information being presented. The icons help to offset that.

Now, listing and sorting data that represents two one-to-many and three many-to-many relationships per row... I think that's pretty slick.

The per game consolidation idea is essentially what Dhsu was suggesting... it's not that it didn't occur to me, it's that I think the list should be sortable, and consolidating around games would have to magically disappear. More than a few of you seem to think this would be preferable... I don't know, like I said, I can play around with it, I'm just very reluctant to have a list that changes significantly on resorting...

I actually agree for the most part. What I meant by "sorting criteria" was changing the list type such as "games" and "remixes," e.g. the games list might have alphabetical subheaders, but the remixes list would have a games subheader. I didn't take into account resorting by other parameters within the actual lists though, so in that light I think it's a reasonable design decision. Not to mention some subheaders would just look silly (for example having the "songs" list consolidated by number of mixes). I think that if people want the mixes to be consolidated by game, using the "games" list is more than accommodating.

Speaking of which, are you planning on adding the game thumbnails to that list in the future?

This looks pretty awesome. Liking it so far.

The only issue I have is more of an issue for all of us with a stock cruddy computer.

Can you link me to the text file that you use for your Japanese font? I have a few japanese fonts installed, yet the characters still appear as ?????

Quick check (if you are running XP) - control panel (classic view) -> regional and language options -> languages tab. is the box "Install files for East Asian languages" checked?

Quick check (if you are running XP) - control panel (classic view) -> regional and language options -> languages tab. is the box "Install files for East Asian languages" checked?

We need to do a Wiki article on this; we'll add these instructions + screenshots soon.

Speaking of which, are you planning on adding the game thumbnails to that list in the future?

Maybe... maybe not. Very large bandwidth impact. Working on generating thumbs dynamically using phpThumb so we can resize different images, things like that. If I can offload all the screenshot bandwidth to a dedicated DH mirror and it doesn't knock that out, it's definitely possible.

I was trolling through the new index and noticed that "Of" and "By" were unnecessarily capitalized:

ReMix Of Parade Tune (Radical Rails) By

Not substantial, I know, but still figured it was worth pointing out.

Yeah, sounds fine, IMO. It's proper, plus it places a little more emphasis on the source tune name when it's there.

How are icons assigned to games that appear on more than one platform?

You're speaking more on platform association, since the icon is tied to that.

First preference goes whatever platform the submitting artist credits it to. When we aren't given that info, it will go by first released platform. For an un-delegated case of a same day, multi-platform release, djp just chooses what feels like choosing.

I noticed that it's not possible to sort by the actual remix titles (since apparently the game is part of the title). Has this always been the case or is it something that was recently decided? Not that I think it will really affect anything, just curious.

I noticed this too, if possible it would be great to be able to do that. Using the "tabs" on top you could maybe add Remix Title next to Title? like "remixer(s)/composer(s)"?

I personally don't think there was anything particularly slick about having "(2)" or "(7)" instead of the actual mixers and composers listed out. The icons aren't really what's pushing the row size, it's the additional information being presented. The icons help to offset that.

Now, listing and sorting data that represents two one-to-many and three many-to-many relationships per row... I think that's pretty slick.

The per game consolidation idea is essentially what Dhsu was suggesting... it's not that it didn't occur to me, it's that I think the list should be sortable, and consolidating around games would have to magically disappear. More than a few of you seem to think this would be preferable... I don't know, like I said, I can play around with it, I'm just very reluctant to have a list that changes significantly on resorting...

Okay, you convinced me. The new system definitely is more convenient :) The new look still is not of my liking, but that's just a matter of taste. I liked it when it was small and simple.

I noticed this too, if possible it would be great to be able to do that. Using the "tabs" on top you could maybe add Remix Title next to Title? like "remixer(s)/composer(s)"?

We intentionally got rid of sorting on JUST the title (sans game) - officially game is part of the title, and we couldn't think of many situations where sorting by just the mix title part would be beneficial. We do need to be a little careful about what we allow sorting by - every additional sort parameter equals a performance load. None of the judges saw too much value... quick search seems much more useful for finding a mix by its mix title alone... can anyone articulate compelling usefulness for this? I'd rather keep it on ice...

By the way "By" and "Of" are now "by" and "of" :)

We intentionally got rid of sorting on JUST the title (sans game) - officially game is part of the title, and we couldn't think of many situations where sorting by just the mix title part would be beneficial. We do need to be a little careful about what we allow sorting by - every additional sort parameter equals a performance load. None of the judges saw too much value... quick search seems much more useful for finding a mix by its mix title alone... can anyone articulate compelling usefulness for this? I'd rather keep it on ice...

By the way "By" and "Of" are now "by" and "of" :)

Well it's mostly for thos rare scenarios when you know what the remix starts with or something. Probably not worth it if it's a load on the site then, I was just thinking we were making things as convenient as possible. Thanks for the answer :)

• 2 weeks later...
Are you applying this sort of listing to the emulators section?

1. It'd be nice to see the icons.

2. The current emulators section is buggy and is showing duplicates

(running Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Ubuntu 7.10)

We'll be changing the emu section one way or another... many emus support multiple systems, so the icons may not be doable without looking sorta goofy...