CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 15: Love at First Sight

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

Feel free to be imaginative!

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 18, was "The Great Fall" and the winner, Johnny, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so he won. Johnny then gets to decide the theme for CMC 19.

This competition is open to registered members of the forums of

OverClocked ReMix, VGMix, Ormgas, VGMusic, Gaming World, and Young Composers.

CMC13-forums.jpg

CMC 15: Love at First Sight

"You're really bored one day, in fact you've been bored for the longest time. It seems all the days are dull and something feels empty about your life. For some odd reason, you decide to go outside and walk around the neighborhood to pass the time. Despite how the sun shines and you see people having fun all around you, you are not happy yourself. You feel a little thirsty, so you decide to head into a nearby cafe. You order a drink and sit down. You glance to your right and you see a girl/guy sitting all alone. She/he seems to be like you, lonely and tired of life. Your eyes meet and some strange connection is made. At first, you thought she/he would be some ordinary person, but at that moment you know that she/he is the one.

You try to think of something to say, but before you can, your tongue stops. She/he seems to be having the same problem, and you can tell by his/her facial expressions. There is a brief moment of silence, but you finally decide to step it up and say hello. The both of you smile and it is love at first sight.

This story is just a guideline for those who want a specific rubric, but it does not necessarily have to be followed. It can be viewed as a source of inspiration or just as a point-by-point song guideline." -Blue.Nocturne

Results!:

There are 9 entries for this round...

SSC - "Tonal Love"

• "Love at first sight, wonderful, but unexpected and unpredictable. Will this one escape too? Will I have to pay for the hospital bill again?"

HoboKa - "Forbidden Love at First Sight"
  • "In a cafe in the year 3015, a man born of noble blood has all but burnt out his joy for life. As he waits in the line to order a latte, the man couldn't help but notice a particular woman sitting alone on a table, only several feet away from him. She appears absolutely depressed, yet her beauty still shone through the saddened expression on her face. The girl looks into our noble hero's eyes and practically gapes at him; blushing, she steels her gaze away from him and tries to appear as if she had never checking him out. Somehow, the man manages to summon the courage to approach her and asks her name. To his dismay, he discovers that the woman is of the family that his harsh father is engaged with in a long and harrowing feud. But our hero cares not, for he realizes that he loves this women - nay he craves for her amour - as much as he craves oxygen to live. To him, she is life. Uncaring of the consequences that may follow from their union - he asks her out on a date and the woman hesitates not to say yes. Forbidden love at first site."

Elan Hickler - "Exiles of Time"

• "Scientists predicted that in the future, toxic chemicals and war would destroy the world as we knew it. They were right. To ensure that humans could survive the future apocalypse, they froze many human subjects, set to unfreeze one thousand years later.
    Let your imagination take you through the sequences of events as you listen to the music.
    Scene #1: It is the year 3115. A man wakes up. He runs out of the laboratory to a dark city street. The people around him look like emotionless zombies. No one notices his frantic disposition.
    Scene #2: He finds a cafe, grabs a cup of coffee from the dispenser and sits down at a table. At the corner of his eye he sees someone who looks distressed. Could it be? His fiancée?
    Scene #3: They embrace. They were both unfrozen the same day.
    Scene #4: A strange mob of men enter the cafe with rifles and full body armor. They are after them, the only human subjects who survived the freezing. They are the ones to re-stimulate the human race. The man and his fiancée run out a back door."

larsdood - "Fragging on the Dancefloor" (Lyrics)

• "Although the song is kind of vulgar, the song actually isn't about fucking on the dancefloor. The text has a few hints as to what the song is actually about, but let's just say the main character is in a psychedellic mindset as he enters the club he visits every night, only to see what he believes to be a Godess on the dancefloor.
    He walks over to dance with her, and as she touches him he experiences her taking him to his wildest imagination, being his guide in his psychedellic experience. For him, it feels like they are becoming one and it is the equivalent of fucking, but it was just a touch on the dancefloor. The spiritual and religious pleasure he experiences can thus be compared to having an orgasm all over your body, which feels like eternity but lasts less than a second... And thus he loves her, in the most honest way a man can love a woman. She opened his eyes."

Jeremy Robson - "Scenes d'Amour"

• "I attempted to keep Blue.Nocturne's scenario in mind while writing this, but in order to heighten the drama element I felt there had to be more than just a coincidental meeting between two people. So... wondering how I could salvage the description, I thought 'what if this occurs at the end of the movie, right before the credits roll?' All of a sudden things become more dramatic and ambiguous. Love at first sight, but not really? Maybe you have this recurring amnesia and fall in love with the same person over and over again. Sounds kind of gimmicky, but I guess the climax would have to be when your memory suddenly returns, so the music can be both sad and uplifting. Ambiguity is definitely my favourite theme."

Dev - "We Met One Rainy Afternoon"
  • "It begins when your eyes first lock, and a small flutter begins in your head, and then as you realize this is love at first sight, a sweet melody begins to play, dancing about the same way your mind is now, considering all the possibilites. As you draw near to first speak, your heart begins to pound as the melody grows louder; begins to shout that you are falling for this new person, and as you say the first word that comes to your mind, all the tension is released, and the pounding of your heart fades away.
    And then a meteor hits the Earth.
    Nah, just kidding."

Abadoss - "Anticipation"

• "At first sight,
    the world swirls around me.
    My mind engulfed.
    My heart aflame.
    In this dearest moment,
    I see you
    and all melts away.
    My love."

Blue.Nocturne - "Destined Meeting"

• "This is a story about the loneliest man in the world. (0:00-0:25)
    His life was filled with sadness and emptiness until one day he looked outside his window. (0:25-0:35)
    He saw the most beautiful person ever walking by. (0:35-0:55)
    Seeing her, his first instinct was to go and talk to her.
    Being lonely all his life, he worried about being rejected. (0:55-1:37)
    This is the story of the loneliest man in the world, what will he do? (1:37-2:01)
    Despite all odds against him, he decides to talk to her.
    He rushes out of his house, thinking positively. (2:01-2:47)
    The man finally catches up to her and the music fades out as they begin conversing. (2:47-end)"

Numegil - "Now or Forever"

• "Hmm... I really don't have much to say about this one. Interpret as you will."

Voting Rules!:
  • Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of that week. The voting period for this round ends January 5, 2008, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be e-mailed or PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Lisa Caulkins submits a piece called "Hung Up by Your Bootstraps" to CMC 17, then her filename would be: Lisa_Caulkins_-_Hung_Up_by_Your_Bootstraps_CMC17.mp3)
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

Oh yeah? You think I'm going to do a happy theme? Think again.

My interpretation of this theme is completely opposite.

This is my interpretation of the story:

It's the future. Our protagonist awakens after 30 years of being in a frozen state. The world as he knew it is now totally destroyed. It is a post apocalyptic time. He runs out of the laboratory to find everyone is like a zombie, no emotions, just walking about. Desparately he finds a coffee house. Ah, something familiar. Shivering from the culture shock, he turns his head and spots a friend who he knew before his 30 years of sleep. Our protagonist curiously scans his face. Could it be? I thought he was dead? No, it can't be him. Our protagonist realizes he's not like the other lifeless people around. He has his emotions intact! Our protagonist then gets the courage to see if it is really him. Rejoice! The end.

Oh yeah? You think I'm going to do a happy theme? Think again.

My interpretation of this theme is completely opposite.

This is my interpretation of the story:

It's the future. Our protagonist awakens after 30 years of being in a frozen state. The world as he knew it is now totally destroyed. It is a post apocalyptic time. He runs out of the laboratory to find everyone is like a zombie, no emotions, just walking about. Desparately he finds a coffee house. Ah, something familiar. Shivering from the culture shock, he turns his head and spots a friend who he knew before his 30 years of sleep. Our protagonist curiously scans his face. Could it be? I thought he was dead? No, it can't be him. Our protagonist realizes he's not like the other lifeless people around. He has his emotions intact! Our protagonist then gets the courage to see if it is really him. Rejoice! The end.

haha good idea, too bad you came up with it x_X. D/W I got something funky coming up myself.

I'm stuck in a rut...I get about 20 seconds into the songs and end up erasing the FLP's. I need an inspiration x_x...it'd help if I've actually experienced love and not just lust in my life lol. If Love truly exists *cough*

NVM, I've found a very kinky inspiration...gonna work with it and hope that it blows your guys' toilet water-mixes away >:- D. Blue, you're going down, boiiii lawl.