my computer keeps hard booting, microsoft blames avast antivirus

prophetik music

specs:

3.46 ghz celeron (533 buss)

intel mobo

nvidia geoforce 7600 gs graphics card

1 gig of heatspreader ram (name-brand, but forgot the name)

external soundblaster 24-bit soundcard

four hard drives totaling 780 gigs (80gig caviar IDE [7 years old], 160gig SATA samsung [three years old], 300gig SATA barracuda [new], 250gig usb2 external [some random brand, a year old])

windows xp sp2

my computer hard-booted seven times yesterday, and each time windows blamed the antivirus software (avast 4 home edition). each time it was when i was either about to or in the process of transferring a large amount of files (10+ gigs) to my new hard drive (the 300). S.M.A.R.T. data comes back negative, and none of the drives have a problem that's obvious. i was using avast!, and after it started acting up i switched to AVG. i was running torrents at the time in the background.

is it a problem with the drives? or is it actually an issue with avast? or do you all need more information?

How long have you had Avast! before this hard booting started up? Is there a possibility that a file that's part of your massive transfers could be infected or corrupted..? Also if you had avast! for a long time has it done something like this before..?

Assuming you're now using AVG and uninstalled Avast!, has your PC hardbooted anytime while you're doing your transfers while running AVG..?

i haven't attempted to do any mega transfers since installing avg, but the computer did stay online all night (hasn't done that since wednesday or so).

considering that the computer was homebuilt in may, the files on there probably aren't corrupted because they're only recently added to the computer.

i used avast since i made the computer, however it's not really ever NOT been a problem. it never does the scans when it's scheduled to, and it pretty much just is a hassle all the time.

Avoiding VP bashing, just... "avoid" avast! for now and try out AVG or any other AV out there that you may feel comfortable with...

*personal note

-

From experience I've had a much better time with AVG as it does what it's suppose to do, though perhaps not industrial strength as a few others, it does the job just fine.

-

Also it would help to see what the error message actually says.

have you posted this issue on avast! forums..?

One more question, why not go smaller by transfering 5 gigs worth of data..?

To be honest I've never had the experience of transfering so much data between hard drives; especially since I usually store them neatly in the first place either in seperate, mobile, hard drives or dvds. I can't say much on bluray as I see it as this generation's betamax :lol:

regardless of that, you may as well try transfering while AVG is running, as it could be a protocol from avast! to read the files as its being transfered just fucking up horribly to cause a hardboot... May not even have an issue with AVG

Hard rebooting is quite a hard thing to diagnose. It could be anything from a power supply issue to a program conflict. If it does it again, remove the antiviruses altogether and then try.

Oh, you might want to change the thread title, its kind of misleading.

what exactly is the one you have in there rated for? There should be a sticker on the side that tells you. Look for how many amps are on the 12v+ and how many watts there are.

I'd personally go for something like 500W or 700W for something like your rig; considering you got something like four (4) hard drives...

oh god no

More like a good 300-400 watts (if that) with one or two good 12v rails

this is what i've got. that should be more than enough, right? i OWN a rosewill 480W one (newegg doesn't have it anymore but it was listed as "Rosewill RV480-2-FRB-S ATX 12V Ver.2.01 480W Power Supply - Retail" when i bought it). should i switch to that one?

lol 1000 watts.

edit - found it. rosewill's site has the info.

this is what i've got. that should be more than enough, right? i OWN a rosewill 480W one (newegg doesn't have it anymore but it was listed as "Rosewill RV480-2-FRB-S ATX 12V Ver.2.01 480W Power Supply - Retail" when i bought it). should i switch to that one?

lol 1000 watts.

edit - found it. rosewill's site has the info.

i found it already, thanks though

That Rosewill should be more than capable of powering your system, on paper anyway. I would try hooking it up, as the power supplies that come in cases often aren't the best quality due to cost cutting measures. I couldn't even find specs on the one that came with that case anywhere.

is there some program i can run to test power consumption across the board? maybe that would tell me more than just randomly unplugging things.

Not really, the closest thing to that would probably be the voltage monitoring system in Speedfan. What it does is tell the volts being sent to all the components, and if something is amiss there will be a huge drop or spike.

My theory goes like this: When you are transferring those huge files, the 12v rail(s) in your current power supply get stressed. Since its so cheap, it can't hold that power for long times, thus you get random reboots.

ok, my (totally NON-ATX size) extra psu is in my case. more updates to come.

i also moved my sataII drive to a different spot for better heatflow. it runs way hotter than the other two, so i think maybe it was overheating and resetting.

Hard drives don't reset per say, they just get really hot and you start seeing read and write errors